Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Black people supporting hip-hop
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=24637&mesg_id=24679
24679, RE: Black people supporting hip-hop
Posted by guest, Tue Apr-25-00 06:42 PM
If it's alright with ya'll, I'd like to put my two cents in on the convo. In my opinion, when black radio-stations were gobbled up by the larger and richer white stations, that was the beginning of the end for conscious hip-hop in this country. Remember, black stations have been handcuffed for many years, as far as the kind of music they have been allowed to play. We all know the routine...hip-hop! What is hip-hop? Basically, if you control what's played over the airwaves, you dictate what's going to be in the mainstream and what is not, it's that simple. Which is why our black-stations should be in the hands of black-folk. But, our economic situation at this time, won't allow us to make that dream a reality, because, our economic base is small. I don't know about black folks in other cities, but, they should really think about setting up pirate radio-stations in their hoods. In Florida, pirate stations are not illegal, but, you still have to put up with the FCC. I'm not telling folks to do it, just think about it!!!

One Love
2Bad