Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Black people supporting hip-hop
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=24637&mesg_id=24672
24672, RE: Black people supporting hip-hop
Posted by guest, Mon Apr-24-00 06:30 PM
>Maybe it's cuz Many blacks
>livin in ignorance...ignorance is bliss
>and right now most people
>livin well.

Okay I was with you up until this point. You assume an entire race of people are ignorant? I'm a woman of African decent, and I take offense to this comment. Please elaborate for me, show me statistical facts that MANY (which means numerous or great in number) are just plain "livin' in ignorance" as you coined it. I think it's frontal lobe sterotypical views like this that continue the ignorance. I mean you've completely denounced my entire community as being ignorant. Some of you aren't even concious of the ish you say. I think you really need to slow your road and dig your grammer...and recap.

>I'd say that
>the Black population doin better
>now than ever economically. Which
>don't mean they at a
>point they should be but...Everybody
>seem to be embracin the
>Jiggyness cuz the economy doin
>well and the current soundtrack
>to their life revolvin around
>money.

Another assumption, and without any facts to back this claim up. I mean yeah were doing well, but not "everyone" has embraced this "jiggy" lifestyle you speak about. I mean we all want to live better, but don't assume we are "embracing"
anything other than a better way of life. What you see isn't always how it truly is. It seems your reliance is based mainly on what's shown to you by the media or in your circle only. There are several levels to the Black experience. You know Upper, Middle and Lower.

>Some don't WANNA
>hear anything intelligent. Simple
>hooks and simple formulas will
>do.

I will agree with this. But what's simple doesn't mean it's not intelligent. Some of the most profound music that's has lasting effects was simple. The formulas and hooks have nothing at all to do with the lyrical prose a writer choses to lace a track with. It can be the most simplistic track, but if the message is intelligent the elements missing have made up for that "simplicity".

>Luckily I have
>been blessed with many forms
>of education in life and
>music and I was born
>at a time when hip-
>hop was born. I've
>lived at and learned this.
>Musical evolution comes about constantly,
>it is art, it is
>life, life imitates art, and
>as in all music artists
>are gonna change things from
>rock to rap everybody adds
>their own spice. the flavor
>will always change over time
>the recepie will never stay
>the same. It ain't
>about color it's about music
>period.

Some very interesting points...indeed. But I beg to differ, Race does play many roles in music. Different social stratas, and cultural groups have different expectations of their music and musicians. I'm currently writing an article about this. So to say it's only about the Music, is really a personal statment more than a fact. History and even present proves you wrong.

My take on why Blacks don't support say "concerts" and so on will be revealed in my article. But see let's not assume that just because they don't come out in numbers to shows, indicates their album buying. Yeah sure the media tells White kids they are the "be all end all" when it comes to record sells, (me being a part of this media) knows the semantics my fellow scribes use to indulge a nation. The media does murder to itself when it treats Blacks, Latins, and Asians music buyers like they don't count. Sadly many give in and believe in this, and the birth of ignorance amongst all races begin. Not too long ago in the LA Times there was a big article about how the numbers about who were really the biggest album buyers stagered greatly, these same numbers reported by our so called "media" and research groups. I will be back with a link to that article.

So let's not assume because you don't see Blacks and Latins at shows that they aren't supporting these artist. And that they ain't buying albums. I mean there are many factors. Be back latah with more on the factors...

Peace :-)

Jaila