Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: i think.....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=24637&mesg_id=24659
24659, RE: i think.....
Posted by guest, Mon Apr-24-00 06:50 PM
>That many black people are really
>just followers,

Here again we have assumptions, and many means numerous a great amount. I mean damn, I'm not a follower and I can't take the beat downs that a whole race of people are recieving. I could care less if you are Black, White, Asian or Latin. This statment is not of intelligence.

and creativity and
>something different isn't always embraced,
>by black culture. Bob Marley
>and Jimi Hendrix are true
>examples of that during their
>lifetime.

I can agree, but this was a whole different time and space. Did you live through the 60's and 70's? I mean can you honestly say you know the struggles of your parents, have you ever asked them why this music wasn't as embraced by their generation, as say a James Brown? Every generation will have scarifices, not all will be as we would like it to be. But to assume that many Black people didn't get them is an assumption and nothing more. And one that seems to be based soley on what the media has fed us about this topic. Sure many didn't get into it, til after the fact. But should it matter of the whens and hows or should it matter that they finally got it?

I know when DMX
>first came out on Clue
>tapes, a lot of people
>weren't feelling him, but the
>more and more exposure he
>got, a few people became
>fans and jumped on the
>bandwagon. No Limit and Cash
>Money are even bigger examples
>of the bandwagon effect that
>I think many black people
>jump on.

LOl, okay so maybe this is true, but could you please tell me what you base all this on? I mean I just see straight bashing on Black folks up in here. I think someone posted that they just don't attend college bound shows. There are so many factors and all that have been thrown out in this thread thus far have been personal opinions, with no real basis...facts I mean. Just what you think. A question like this requires at least the respect of some research...just a little.

You don't
>hear Common and the Roots
>on street mix tapes or
>on the radio,

Where you live? I live in New York, and I have about 20 tapes of nothing but Mixes that I bought from House of Nubian on Mos Def, Lauryn, Common, The Roots, Outkast, Talib, Black Thought and so on.

so the
>exposure isn't as overbearing as
>some other artists. A lotta
>people I know dismiss
>the Roots and Common without
>really knowing them, but when
>i pump it in the
>ride they be feeling it.
>So I think in other
>cultural societies something not quite
>the norm is embraced and
>that's the reason for many
>Asians and Whites at concerts
>to me.

So now Blacks won't or don't embrace anything outta the norm? LOL! Well how did we create Hip-Hop, and a whole style of speaking, dressing and so on? I mean really...you have to think about what your saying here. Black people, have invented and re-invented our social and cultural structures over and over.

Peace

Jaila