Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: i disagree
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=24637&mesg_id=24654
24654, RE: i disagree
Posted by spirit, Tue Apr-25-00 08:52 AM
>this is what's happenning to common
>and and mos and others.
>they are on a higher
>intellectual level than the average
>black man and not just
>black people but white people
>too.

Sorry, I disagree with the theory that Com and mos are "too smart" for the majority of black folk. Jay Z utilizes metaphors, Rakim used to be *extremely* metaphorical and lots of black folks loved Rakim back in his heyday. Public enemy's lyrics weren't simple either. So, that alone can't explain it. and I don't really think is Com is some super-genius that black folks can't get.

>they don't sell millions because ignorant
>shallow white folk bumpcash money,
>and they don't have alot
>of black support because alot
>of black people haven't had
>the education to beable to
>understand them

But that assumes that Mos Def and Com have some in-depth education. Com is a college dropout. I don't think Mos even went to college. I think black folks are a lot smarter than you give them credit for.

The problem is this and Chuck D said it best: black folks are religious to their radio stations. If it's bumping on the radio, it's selling in the hood, period. There will be some local or regional artists who succeed despite radio, but if you have nationwide success in hoods coast to coast, it's because you're on the radio, by and large. Many gangsta rappers who never get on the radio also never get national success...I think the two concepts are linked...Cash Money's music pre-Universal, say in 96, is on par with their music post-Universal. So why the surge in hood support? They got on the radio, they got their videos aired. That's it, point blank.

Spread love,

Spirit
www.theamphibians.com

What: Breathe: A Celebration of the Life of Jason "Filli" Villaroman (RIP)
When: Sunday, April 30th 2000, 8pm-until
Where: 2-K-9 (2009 8th St NW, off the corner of 8th and U St, WASHINGTON DC, U Street metro stop)
How Much: $10 (18+, no dress code)

Featuring performances by:

Amphibians
Infinite Loop
Unspoken Heard
3LG
Team Demolition
Storm the Unpredictable (of Plexus)
Sub-Z and Kokayi (of Opus Akoben and Plexus)
Stronghold feat. Breez Evahflowin (NY)
Defined Print
Live Society
KHEMystery
In Shallah
and more...

Blessing the wheels of steel:

Taek One (Soul Camp)
Dirty Handz (Soul Camp)
RBI (Infinite Loop/State of the Union)

Proceeds to go towards the construction of The Filli Foundation, a nonprofit organization which will be dedicated to providing artists with a support system, knowledge, resources and opportunities to gain economic independence and maintain creative freedom.

SUPPORT THE HIP-HOP FAMILY, COME TO "BREATHE"

Spread the word...forward this message to anyone who loves hip-hop and can make it to DC for this momentous event...