Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Blacks not supporting hip-hop?!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=24637&mesg_id=24642
24642, RE: Blacks not supporting hip-hop?!
Posted by naijagirl, Thu Apr-20-00 09:30 AM
Of course Blacks are supporting hip hop. I buy hip hop albums all the time. Just bought 2 at lunch. The last time I went to a concert, hmmmm. House of Blues, Common and De La Soul 3 years ago. Being crushed in a pit is not my idea of fun.

Im 27. I love the okayartists musics. Have all their albums (okay, not toshi kubota... yet). I love innovative, interesting, and intelligent hip hop music. Yep, thats the okayartists. I like a good beat, and lyrics that make me think. That is what I buy. I support artists who pull that off.

(i do like to go to a club and get my groove on, too, dont get me wrong, but thats different)

I do not however, generally hang out at concerts on college campuses, or any place where I will be crushed up in a sea of people. Even if they are fans of an artist I support. That is not how I enjoy my music.

It may be a generational thing. I know that friends of mine who like hip hop will not go to a show unless it is like 25 and over. Which almost never happens. Which is why you dont see us. Perhaps what you are seeing is that the Commons of the world are growing with their audiences--a great majority of their fan base may be older; they may not be the ones you see out on the quad, or in the clubs.

blah blah blah talented tenth. Please dont insult me by insinuating that most Black people are not intelligent enough to understand Common's music. I dont buy that.

my .02

peace