Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectTo the rescue
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=24591&mesg_id=24592
24592, To the rescue
Posted by bignick, Fri Apr-21-00 02:17 AM
Well Aaron's work is obviously influenced by Japanese animation. He even refers to his style as "afro-anime", but to call him a culture thief is a huge stretch. There is the obvious fact that his strip is about black folks, and black folk's issues. It's not like he's walking around in a Kimono, yelling Bonzai! like Mr. Miyagi.
I can't speak for A-Dub, but my beef with Eminem is that I think he acts like a caricature of a rap star. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of black folks doing that in hip-hop, and I dislike them as much..if not more. But it doesn't offend me to the same level.
To me it seemed like 3rd Bass was doing it from the heart, same for the Beasties (they had their own shit), and The Mountain Brothers, etc, etc. If it's real, it's real, and people will recognize that.
I'm sure he will respond to this himself.
Obvioulsy you have some axe to grind with Aaron, but having met him (Aaron, I'm the guy from NBC in DC, we bumped into each other at the mall out here in Cali) , I can say that he is as much a Japanese culture thief as I am a Jewish culture thief. Happy Passover!

bignick