Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjecteffect of thought's solo album on the roots
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=24299
24299, effect of thought's solo album on the roots
Posted by lagism, Sun May-07-00 07:04 PM
i just finished reading the d'tour diary with
?uest telling us that the tour is over and
that he will start the roots' 6th album sooner or later. now, this will be a highly anticipated album, so here's my question. is there a chance that thought's solo album could increase or decrease the momentum of the roots as they put out a new album? an example of decreasing momentum: thought's album bombs and people start losing respect for him and maybe, in effect, his lyrical prowess. could this be a worthwhile argument for the roots losing fans or losing a sense of uniqueness in their record? i'm not really phrasing my question coherently but you guys get the point. gimme some opinions. peace. lagism OUT.

"I don't want to be like somebody else, I want for somebody to want to be like me" -me

"If life is to be lived, then why are we dyin' from the second we are born? -me

24300, RE: effect of thought's solo album on the roots
Posted by qoolquest, Sun May-07-00 08:04 PM

nope. this roots album will be night and day from anything that we've ever done in this lifetime.

THE SOULQUARIANS
chewy (quest).....jan
luke (d)........feb
lando (jaydee)......feb
cp30 (james poyser).....jan
r2d2 (jazzy jeff)......jan
hans (chaos)........jan
anakin (lil mike)......feb

honorary members:
kelo- soulacorn.......jan
common- soulcies......march
erykah- soulcies......feb
zack- soulicorn.......feb
anthony hamilton-soulquarian.jan

MAY= OFFENSIVE QUOTE MONTH

"FUCK ALL Y'ALL!"
"GET OFF MY DICK NIGGA, AND TELL YO BITCH TO COME HERE!"
-ice cube
24301, my jocking is like ziti
Posted by guest, Sun May-07-00 09:12 PM
now you know i've never showed you too much love since my first post back in june 99 ("Swizz Beats" : "Quest, why you hating on swizz?"...etc.) because i wanted to be different, but i honestly want to tell you cats to do a damn good job with this bomb squad/paul revere shit. i mean, you HAVE to capture 1988-93. good luck. this isnt about the roots, its about hip hop. we gotta get back to where we were man(i was only 7 in 88, but fuck it i knew the good shit...lol). its time for the next step in hip hop.

TBM and friends
http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/general2/9272.html

okp P! = okp VivrantSmurf.
okp P! = okp efil4tnarviV.
okp P! = Vivrantkiss or Big *Muah*
okp P! = Gidget Gigglebuns(thanks Maria!)

MAY = OFFENSIVE QUOTES MONTH
**cell phone rings**
"hello? oh hey girl....i'm sucking dick i'll call you back later"-Prostitute from "pimps & johns" on HBO
24302, P.S.
Posted by guest, Sun May-07-00 09:13 PM
when i say too much i dont mean i've been (the "H" word) on you, but you know...

TBM and friends

**cell phone rings**
"hello? oh hey girl....i'm sucking dick i'll call you back later"-Prostitute from "pimps & johns" on HBO
24303, RE: my jocking is like ziti
Posted by guest, Sun May-07-00 10:57 PM
i mean, you
>HAVE to capture 1988-93. good
>luck. this isnt about the
>roots, its about hip hop.

did quest or someone say this album was an attempt to do that? or is that just what you'd like to see? did quest ever give any hints as to what this album's gonna be like? or when it's going to be recorded? and released?
24304, well...
Posted by guest, Mon May-08-00 03:45 AM
Questlove: "its gonna be kinda like paul revere, bomb squad flavor"(paraphrased)

i had said something about i wanted to start doing some bomb-squad type production myself, and he had brought it up that thats what the roots were gonna do(he jacked my idea...lol) this was awhile ago, but i'm just pressuring him about the 88-93 shit...that would be nice right? damn us hip hop lovers wouldnt know how to act if it got back to those days...now let me get out of this section...i dont like talking about anybody's music while they can read it cause i dont wanna look like i'm trying to be a fan-atic or anything.

TBM and friends

**cell phone rings**
24305, RE: effect of thought's solo album on the roots
Posted by guest, Sun May-07-00 09:43 PM
>
>nope. this roots album will be
>night and day from anything
>that we've ever done in
>this lifetime.

damn. i'm seriously getting goosebumps yall

Don't sleep on the 206

some signatures be way too long
24306, i know collabos cost some cheese but..
Posted by guest, Mon May-08-00 06:47 AM
i wish thought would just do some off the wall collabos so we can see some diff sides of him...imagine thought with rakim...or nas and thought doin a illmatic part 2, i just hope his album is on some different atmosphere, i dont wanna pay 14 dollars to hear him rap with comm or mos def...(its just old now) lets see him with rza or clokworx or lateef , del even..please make this record NEW, i hope thought produces some tracks on his own, some experimental stuff

peace

"(I) turn rap wannabe piranhas into a fish called Wanda"- Thirstin Howl III

"we gotta take the power back"-Zack De La Rocha

"ill tie yo girl to the back of my jeep butt nekkid, slide her monkey ass down the hill, so if u dont want beef, money chill, for pete's sake damnit!!- pete rock
24307, I agree
Posted by Kev, Mon May-08-00 07:12 AM
I love Mos,Com and the Roots but I don't want to hear him on Thought's album.No Malik B. and Dice Raw neither.I would appreciate M.A.R.S Coop's presence though.

Saying Im a thug and that's all that I can say/who are you anyway Mary J-Talib Kweli

One1
24308, come on now
Posted by OTS, Mon May-08-00 07:47 AM
do people really think that Thought is gonna come wack? if u lose respect for his lyrical prowess then u must not have respect for anyone's. right before the album drops, just clear your head so you're ready to intake it all, damn he should call his album "i.q. test".

peace

"it's all camoflauged like the devil and guns, and coke peddalin, olympic medallin...flashback that of a war veteran blast at the programmer bringin lashes cross your back" - Black Thought
24309, yea right? n/m
Posted by guest, Mon May-08-00 10:23 AM

TBM and friends

**cell phone rings**