Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectStraight up....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=24133&mesg_id=24149
24149, Straight up....
Posted by guest, Wed May-10-00 07:24 AM
you sound like you're full of shit. It's clear by your comments up to this point that you have some serious misconceptions/predjudices about caucasian peoples AND skateboarders.

I don't skate but I know not all skaters are caucasian. I know quite a few asian and black cats that skate.

I don't know that many people that would say skating is another element of hip hop but their is a pretty clear assosciation. About 98% of the skaters I've ever met listen and enjoy "real" hip hop. In addition, most skaters I know are also graff artists which means that most are active participants within the culture.

You act as though it's wrong for whites to like/appreciate/participate in hip hop at all. Straight up...that's bullshit. There's nothing wrong with any of that as long as people respect hip hops origins and realize that it was an art form that was founded by minorities in inner city neighborhoods as way to express not only their frustrations and joys within that environment.

I understand that there is caution when ever caucasian peoples participate in something that was started by minorities because of caucasian's track record in that area. But there is a clear double standard there as well. If there was a black cellist, participating in european culture, no one would accuse that cellist of attempting to be a culture theif.

Regardless of all this, it's pretty sad to me that you limit yourself through your views of the world. You might just be missing out on meeting some good people. Also, it's predjudices that hold us back because we can't see past our views to see the real person and therefore create understanding between people of different races/classes/religions/etc.

Peace.

Crossfaded

"I can't keep up with the Joneses, I'm on my own shit" - Senim Silla

"I move the masses, it's the live guy with glasses" - Mr. Jason

Uplifting and unifying Northwest hip-hop: http://students.washington.edu/theshow

CELEBRATING MAY AS OFFENSIVE QUOTE MONTH: "My bum is on your lips, my bum is on your lips...and if I'm lucky you just might give it a little kiss." -- Eminem