Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectcheck this...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=24133&mesg_id=24134
24134, check this...
Posted by royal, Mon May-08-00 06:37 AM
Skateboarding is not an founding element of hip-hop nor is hip-hop a founding element of skateboarding. Both of these share many important aspects though. Both are forms of expression, hip-hop elements are basically dance, art, lyricism, and music. People do these things as a way to express themselves, this is the same thing people are doing on skateboards. Each element of hip-hop deals with style and skill. For example, a breaker might do some basic moves that do not require much skill, but they do them really well, cleanly, and it looks really good cuz they got mad style. Same shit with skateboards, people might not have the most skill, but they are out there trying, expressing themselves through the board, coming through with some style, that shit is tight. Same with MCing, somebody might not have the most enlighting language or pure ability, like Slum Village, but they are real nice cuz they got style. They rock the beat and it sounds really good. Sometimes I think people get too wrapped up in skill and forget about style, which in my opinion is just as important. Is this making any sense? I kind of digressed a little, but i am just to trying to show that skateboarding and hip-hop ARE related. I do not know anybody that really thinks that skateboarding is a founding element. But I FEEL hip-hop the same way I FEEL skateboarding. Im sure many heads diss skateboarding as some bullshit, but if you do you are not really understanding it. Just like heads that diss hip-hop are not understanding it.

So anybody feeling me or not? what do yall think?

my scripts consist of H20, hip-hop and oxygen... --Encore from Handsome Boy Modeling School