Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectjust proves that heads here are full of shit
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=2408&mesg_id=2461
2461, just proves that heads here are full of shit
Posted by BreezeBoogie, Tue Sep-07-04 05:34 PM
looking at BEP honestly, you'd have to admit that post-Behind the Front BEP have taken risks, gotten political, and stepped even farther away form the cartoonish imagery that dominates hip hop.

to steal a line from OC, "everybody is either crime related or sexual". the surest way to ensure commercial acceptance is to come with crime and sex images. You could prolly add Ying Yang Twins/Lil' Jon type foolishness to the list of commercial formulas. BEP did none of that. Artistically, what they're doin' is riskier than anything that the rap act currently on billboard are doin'. Their political shit is provocative. Their fun shit is fun. While you could argue that fergie is selling records with ass (or at least titties), they're really aren't flaunting her sexuality in a tactless, lil' kim type way.

I'm respecting what they're doin'. even if it doesn't move me as much as behind the front, i'm diggin' the fact that they aren't doin' pop rap (ex: crime, sex, ignorance). they're makin' their music and sayin' fuck what the brainwashed followers say (ex: radio rap listeners and hip hop underground)