Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectThis is an issue....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=2408&mesg_id=2459
2459, This is an issue....
Posted by guest, Tue Sep-07-04 01:17 PM
that i've thinking about for a long time. And heres my take... These artists have chosen music as their career, their lively hood. This is how they eat. Therefore, if any artist claims to not want to sell as many records as humanly possible is just not being honest. And if that means not deliberately alienating and isolating the masses (those who buy albums) then so be it, but that doesnt mean they arent "true to their style" (whatever the fuck that means) No matter how you slice it, its a job, and you do what you have to do to eat. Now as far as selling out, thats simply a load of shit. That is the rhetoric of self proclaimed hip-hop aficionado(ie rap snobs) {if any body dare lecture about the diff btwn rap and hip hop i might just shit} who claimed steak on all that is "real" and the minute they arent "special" or a fan of some "off the beaten path" group then they feel slighted. They arent unique anymore b/c Joe suburb and Carson Daily got a whiff of some good shit and plugged in. No matter how good the music is, its like its tainted if its been on MTV or BET too many times. In all actuality, any one who claims to be a fan should encourage the crossover of their favorite groups. That kind of success can encourage longevity and fund more creatvie endeavors of groups that couldnt before afford to experiment. But now being commercial (ie actually making a profit off of your talent, you know, the whole point of a music career) is some sort of sin. And as for the albums being different, I challenge anyone to name any good/successful/popular (and i use these terms loosely) artist/group in ANY genre who had multiple albums that were the same?/sounded the same?/in he same style? IMHO the next album no matter who the artist had damn well better be waaaaaay different, or i want my money back cuz i bought the last one, and i shouldnt have to buy it again.

Just think about it, artists grow, and evolve, you can disagree with the direction, but dont question the motive. Why? Because no matter what thy say in the interview, its b/c they want to sell records...to any one who will buy it...we'll call them fans....