Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjecta part of hip-hop is the accident on the freeway
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=2408&mesg_id=2428
2428, a part of hip-hop is the accident on the freeway
Posted by johnbook, Tue Sep-07-04 06:07 AM
In other words, there's an accident, everybody is going to slow down and look by default. We don't really want to know what may be inside a demolished car, but we're going to do it and why? We're morbidly curious.

In this case, if they're looking, why not give them something to look at, right?

I quote Fishbone's "Behavior Control Technician":

"Train my brain to work the way you want me to
Don’t question authority see
Be a little zombie that agrees with you
You are strapped with a double standard clip
In a battle you won’t win
And when it’s over we’re gonna dance your memory away"

Everytime the song gets to this part of the song, I can just imagine every sick-ass minstrel show and film, not only the blackface, but Hollywood's treatment of the "hula hula", to cater to those who think it's funny. The whole "they never complain about anything other than themselves, let's continue to mock them, they have no power."

"Before it's over, we're going to dance your memory away", as if to suggest that the only way people can get rid of the "coon" problem by putting on the white gloves and doing the Poor Man Shuffle. Hey, we're all smiling, rat-a-tat-a-tat.

But you know, I have a funny feeling Jon Bon Jovi isn't that happy all the time either. Then again, didn't he shave his chest for the sake of doing the shuck and jive?

Let me ask this then. Had you not pushed yourself as you have in the last ten years, do you think your current level of success, whatever and wherever it may be, would not exist today?

But you know (and this opens this up to everyone else), don't we all KISS ASS to some degree, whether it's a relationship, a job, being in the cafeteria, at the DMV, whatever? It's only due to the accessibility of the public and the entertainer do people want to shout out "coon" or "Sell-out".

Do women at senior citizen homes say "Gertrude, you sold the fuck out because you chose to go on the bus to Canada to buy medication."

"Margaret, fuck that! I'm not a rich ol' bitty like you, who can have everything handed to you with a snap. Medicare is shot, and I need this medication to survive. If it takes an unpleasant 8 hour bus drive to get my medication, I will do it, regardless of any state or national laws."

p.e.a.c.e.
-
---------
"The Run-Off Groove", column #19 @
---------
John Book presents UNLOCKED: show #16 coming 9|11|04
---------
: downloading and trading live shows responsibly
---------
(NOT work friendly)
=========