Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectOh god...so no second single?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=2345
2345, Oh god...so no second single?
Posted by Improv, Wed Sep-01-04 07:44 PM
Even Lloyd got a second single out :-/

Your Fellow Actor In This Drama Called Life,

"When you radiate, people gravitate..."---

"And then Jim Cavaziel will have had a chance to play two of the biggest fictional characters of all time."--- Devin Faraci on the recent Superman casting rumor
2346, There's one coming
Posted by CMcMurtry, Wed Sep-01-04 07:51 PM
I believe "Stay Cool".
2347, That should have came out already...
Posted by Improv, Wed Sep-01-04 08:20 PM

"And then Jim Cavaziel will have had a chance to play two of the biggest fictional characters of all time."--- Devin Faraci on the recent Superman casting rumor
2348, Its out, but getting
Posted by tariqhu, Thu Sep-02-04 01:58 AM
no push. I saw the 12 inch at towers.
2349, I saw it here in Detroit too.
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Thu Sep-02-04 04:41 AM
I forgot what the B-side was. I did notice that they didn't put accapellas on it though. BOO.

...detroit...what...
2350, duck down
Posted by gusto, Thu Sep-02-04 06:57 AM
its on hiphopsite.com
2351, RE: duck down
Posted by guest, Thu Sep-02-04 02:52 PM
anything but duck down, thats my least favorite track! the hook is horrible. i'd hope to see stay cool, or maybe star(but star isnt really a radio type song)
2352, you kids are funny
Posted by haj20, Thu Sep-02-04 10:23 PM

2353, I can't believe no one thinks
Posted by Philip R, Fri Sep-03-04 12:58 AM
"Duck Down" would be a great 2nd single. It would kill in the clubs. I mean it might not be what you want to hear from The Roots but "Duck Down" can compete in a mainstream market with all this Lil' Jon stuff that's out there. The beat is sick!
2354, relax
Posted by gusto, Fri Sep-03-04 05:49 AM
duck down is the b-side to stay cool
2355, RE: duck down
Posted by chaoticizm, Thu Sep-02-04 08:00 PM
Ugh, why the hell would they do that?
2356, The Roots - Neo Griot - 11/11
Posted by godsun, Wed Sep-01-04 08:56 PM
gotta "Stay Cool"...

luv that track...

and the one with Cody Chestnut...

thanks for the free drum ?uest...

Peace
=====================================================
Flint, MI Hip-Hop, Spoken Word, etc.
http://www.neogriots.com/vault/
2357, ?
Posted by tappenzee, Thu Sep-02-04 06:52 PM

2358, why have you asked this? What did you see/hear? n/m
Posted by Invisiblist, Wed Sep-01-04 08:04 PM
2359, Why? Cuz the album needs a second single
Posted by Improv, Wed Sep-01-04 08:20 PM

2360, WHO'S JIMMY?
Posted by addverse, Thu Sep-02-04 12:51 AM
Kimmel, or what?? I don't get it.

2361, i heard
Posted by rain, Thu Sep-02-04 04:10 AM
they did a 'star' video
2362, RE: i heard
Posted by brotherman, Thu Sep-02-04 12:31 PM
Are u serious?!?! U GOT to be kiddin me! my goodness.. Where did u hear this?? Was it from that one poster who had that treatment? Cause that wasnt official..

anyways...
2363, i'd be shocked...
Posted by B Side, Thu Sep-02-04 04:41 AM
if they get a second video or any push for Stay Cool or whatever the second single is.

i don't get it, i loved the album, i thought it was mad dope.

but commericially this probably their biggest failure because it got so much money put into it (remember the effin promo van). i wonder why this album didn't "tip"? i guess the masses really don't give a shit about lyrics (not that the beats were bad).
2364, 1/3rd platinum after one single
Posted by codewarrior, Sat Sep-04-04 08:14 AM
that's pretty good i would say.

promotion must be the problem, everybody i've ever played ttp for absolutely loves it. not that they then go out and buy it or anything but you know what i'm saying
2365, RE: Oh god...so no second single?
Posted by digitaljohnjohn, Thu Sep-02-04 07:17 AM
I hope its duckdown but doubt it

Last year rap was at a all time low/too many ceo's picked up the mic,and the
just couldnt flow" DJJ
2366, nah, i saw the "stay cool" 12 inch
Posted by dro, Thu Sep-02-04 07:37 AM
in virgin megastore new orleans yesterday, 9/1. i think duck down was the b-side
2367, i bought the 12"
Posted by jbenok, Thu Sep-02-04 12:36 PM
stay cool/duck down
i wish the radio edit of stay cool had "stay cool new york city y'all know the rules" since they can't say mothafucka.

2368, does it have a Duck Down instrumental? n/m
Posted by Invisiblist, Fri Sep-03-04 08:14 AM
2369, yeah and
Posted by jbenok, Fri Sep-03-04 04:38 PM
i played that and lean back at the same time to see how similar the beats really were to each other.
2370, uh....ok. n/m
Posted by Invisiblist, Sat Sep-04-04 11:32 AM
2371, RE: yeah and
Posted by guest, Thu Sep-16-04 05:38 AM
How did it sound?
2372, .
Posted by jose3030, Thu Sep-02-04 08:30 PM
2373, stay cool edit
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-03-04 08:07 AM
i cant remember where but yesterday i heard someone say the edit for stay cool should be stay cool new york city yall know the rules. well i'm sure thats not it, the roots are from philly. but if they play it on the radio do they just blank out motha fuckas? or replace it with sumthing, i'd like to kno cuz if its blanked out it would just ruin the flow and coolnes of the song
2374, RE: stay cool edit
Posted by HighVoltage, Fri Sep-03-04 10:40 AM
only time they did "new york city" instead of mufuckaz was on Conan O'Brien, which is filmed in NYC, and at the J&R/BET taping in City Hall Park, which is also in NYC.
2375, DRAMA
Posted by qoolquest, Fri Sep-03-04 12:01 PM
so much drama i can't even vent.....
something is coming...but....
the ball has been dropped so many times--
we will be lucky to "limp" to gold.
(can i get a witness shawn and label guy?)

just know one thing:

this is NOT our fault.
we did what was asked of us....
"keep it short"
"keep it simple"

check mate motherfuckers*

(to my coughcoughcoughlabelcoughcoughcough)
2376, it's always some shit
Posted by jose3030, Fri Sep-03-04 12:12 PM
independent is the way after all this crap. (the day of the big label is shortly coming to an end, and I cant wait)
2377, That's terrible news...
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-03-04 03:50 PM
but not surprising, TTP is a seriously sick album too. The masses want ignorance I guess.

Atleast that's what the label thinks.

?uest aim a gun at the camara that's how black people sell records. Nothin' against 50 and them but do we all gotta look act and talk the same.
2378, damn, i'm sorry
Posted by dro, Fri Sep-03-04 04:00 PM
i feel for ya. when will the world/ labels wake up? and it was looking so good there at the beginning. it sucks they couldn't follow through.
2379, Oh fa sho...never thought it was yall fault...
Posted by Improv, Fri Sep-03-04 06:14 PM

2380, Y'all stay up man....
Posted by Seven, Fri Sep-03-04 07:33 PM
...we got your backs for what its worth....
2381, RE: DRAMA
Posted by B Side, Fri Sep-03-04 11:31 PM
big labels are effin wusses

i mean, DSN didn't take off like everyone hoped, so then they just give up on the LP? wtf?

i'm just amazed that TTP is going like kinda unnoticed (not in the pop-culture sense, but in the music scene sense), like i said before NO ONE listens to fuckin lyrics (not that music and beats are subpar or anything, but Riq drops some rhymes for the ages and no one seems to care)
2382, sharecropping once again huh?
Posted by codewarrior, Sat Sep-04-04 08:16 AM
that sucks
2383, why.........an artist like Chingy(who sucks)
Posted by JTBLQ, Sat Sep-04-04 10:29 AM
gets so much push and goes Plat(I think)but the Roots are getting any.....
TTP aint GOLD yet? WTF? if you one these muthafuckin' boards
choppin' it up n shit and rockin' a bootleg....FUCK YOU! SUPPORT THIS REAL SHIT! IT'S 12.99 @ BEST BUY YOU CHEAP DICKLESS FUCKS! BASTARDS!.........
go buy it if you haven't you vulture fucks....SUPPORT THE ARTIST YOU LIKE...MEANING GO SEE EM WHEN THEY IN TOWN, BUY THEY SHIT..how many folks are registered for this OKP
shit? huh? should have that time five , plus the folks who see
the Roots live.....it just baffles my fuckin' mind why this shit ain't sellin....it's fire....pussy on a triscuit.....BLAZIN'....bullshit..........
support this real shit or it will fuckin' disappear....
rant over....

"James Russel you husslin' sonnanuvahbitch!" .....
pussy on a triscuit.....

jetblack y'all...

okayplayer = music/movie/multimedia snob, period....

http://www.geocities.com/jtblq/Accordian.html
DOOM TOON.....

http://www.geocities.com/jtblq/movement.html
TALKING BIRD...

gmail this man things....
spikespeigel@gmail.com
2384, Umm...why you think I asked if there's a second single?
Posted by Improv, Sat Sep-04-04 12:02 PM
Audience has ADD, dunn...
And let's not get into another downloading debate, ok?

2385, BTW...it should be 'Star'...n/m
Posted by JTBLQ, Sun Sep-05-04 09:29 AM

jetblack y'all...

DOOM TOON.....

TALKING BIRD...

spikespeigel@gmail.com
2386, There's medications ...
Posted by halfthejob, Sat Sep-04-04 04:44 PM

... that can help control outbursts like that, Man. Relax a bit ...

Peace

halfthejob
2387, yeah....granted...but you see where I'm coming from....
Posted by JTBLQ, Sun Sep-05-04 09:26 AM

jetblack y'all...

DOOM TOON.....

TALKING BIRD...

spikespeigel@gmail.com
2388, RE: why.........an artist like Chingy(who sucks)
Posted by me5000, Sun Sep-05-04 11:56 AM
co sign.

if all these so called okayplayers would buy albums these cats would have billboard top 50 (at least) but probably more like top 20 type #s. but again fuk majors and the sooner these cats realise the sooner they can make real moves. hell, q-tip is supposed to be on dreamworks. I can't find him on dreamworks or geffen's website. which means they must feel some sort of apprehension about his album. if he were indy he could drop it after setting up warehousing and distribution channels, and paying back studio time (recording and creating the master disk).

anyway on a lyter note nicolay's beat cd is sick. My man at work makes beats and I'm going to let him hold that to help him out.
2389, where *is* label_guy?
Posted by shockzilla, Sat Sep-04-04 04:18 PM
and

when will the roots get a fucking break, lord?
2390, RE: DRAMA
Posted by HighVoltage, Sat Sep-04-04 05:06 PM
We feel your frustration... labels always fuck the shit up, we're savy, we know its not the artist to blame.

Hopefully when the next single does drop, it will get more exposure and help push TTP over the top in sales. Its a crime that a great album like this has gone, for the most part, unnoticed in the mainstream.
2391, that sucks...
Posted by phenompyrus, Sat Sep-04-04 07:06 PM
when will motherfuckers learn that you guys are the shit??
2392, they too busy listenin to Nelly's Sweat-Soup...n/m
Posted by JTBLQ, Sun Sep-05-04 09:30 AM

jetblack y'all...

DOOM TOON.....

TALKING BIRD...

spikespeigel@gmail.com
2393, RE: DRAMA
Posted by me5000, Sun Sep-05-04 11:46 AM
its probably not you guy's fault. but, the fact remains is if you guys want $$$ you're either going to have to please your overwhelming white fan base (ala Black Eye Peas) or go indy. Sure, indy ain't going to make you guys millonaire, but with the right agreements and shit lined up indy will yield more royalty $$$$ and more freedom. Just, like beyonce's father hooked up w/ De La . That deal worked for both parties (this is all my opinion mind u) because dude wasn't trying to spend a lot of $$$ on a act, and De La needed a label foundation to distribute their albums for AOI records.

So, satisfy your contract and draw up a plan for creating your own label. I say this time and time again. Cats like

Q-tip
The Roots
Talib Kweli
Common
Mos Def
dead prez
De La Soul
etc should not be on a major. All of these acts and cats like them (Nas, Saigon, J-Live, Hiero, Kanye(maybe)) should be indy. Even if you disregard the money issue or the artistic freedom no one can deny that majors just don't know how to market cats like this. It's like what Ye said in xxl. The majors are like they said in kill bill vol. II "Superman views regular people as weak lame characters." That's how the majors see cats that ain't rappin' about killing niggas and calling black women out their name. So, if you guys ( the aforementioned list of my fav artists) want to keep getting punk'd by these majors go right ahead. Without a drastic change to your art/sound units will not be sold. Whether the records are sold indy or major or out the trunk of a car as long as you guys respective fan bases know that the product exists we will attempt to buy.

Make it happen captn.
2394, RE: DRAMA
Posted by guest, Tue Sep-14-04 09:00 AM
Yeah, ?uest you guys just need to up your jerseys and gunplay raps, down the live band ish, trade Hub for Jermaine Dupri, and then you'll sell albums (sike!). STICK TO THE SCRIPT! YOU GUYS AIN'T STARVIN', AND THE FANS LOVE YOUR MUSIC...Each album a little more. don't dumb it down. don't point the gun at the camera either.

"I'm tired of chasing my dreams. I'm just going to find out where they're going, and hook up with them later" ~Mitch Hedberg
2395, RE: DRAMA
Posted by guest, Thu Sep-16-04 05:45 AM
y'all should "force" these label niggas to get their shit together. ask the label why they will spend hella dough on an "artist" that is straight boo boo and y'all can't get no respect in that bitch. FUCK IT!!! Get me a job at the label and we'll make some shit pop off.
2396, Geffen Betta Not Wait To Long For Da 2nd Single
Posted by Grand_Styles, Sun Sep-05-04 04:46 PM
Or people will definately forget about da album. Da only reason why many haven't picked up "Tipping Point" iz becauze da few dat did pick up "Phrenology" are scarred of it being anotha one. Even though da majority can pre-listen to albumz at different storez before buyin' it, da blind micez are waitin' on da radio & club DJz to get behind anotha song frum da album first before copin' it. One thang dat pisses me off iz when people say "iz da album good, I've only heard one song off of da album". I tell 'em "well of courze you only heard one or two songs, da radio aint gonna play da entire phuckin' album for you"!
2397, There it is...
Posted by Improv, Sun Sep-05-04 05:23 PM

2398, there it is...
Posted by Von Pea, Sun Sep-05-04 07:22 PM

but anyway, but just ask .

THE LESSONDARY.
TM, E, H, CG, J, BB, & E.

& (updated September 5th)
2399, there's the rub....
Posted by JTBLQ, Sun Sep-05-04 08:12 PM

jetblack y'all...

DOOM TOON.....

TALKING BIRD...

spikespeigel@gmail.com
2400, RE: Geffen Betta Not Wait To Long For Da 2nd Single
Posted by guest, Thu Sep-16-04 06:00 AM
That's why everyone who supports these guys should be calling and harrassing their radio PD or local DJ and be demanding songs be played, I know I do.
2401, Radio P.D.z & DJz Act You Harrassin' Dem
Posted by Grand_Styles, Sat Sep-18-04 05:37 PM
>That's why everyone who supports these guys should be
>calling and harrassing their radio PD or local DJ and be
>demanding songs be played, I know I do.

I'm like one of da few outta of a couple of thousand in my town who callz da radio station ta request a real hip hop song & they automaticly know dat it'z me or think I put somebody up to request a underground rap song. Da sad part about it iz half of dem I know dat they listen to underground hip hop & will tell me they do but will say, sorry but they don't have it in their computer playlist. It getz to da point when I do call in now they almost sound like they're tired of katz requestin' good muzik or somethang.
2402, Maybe Questo Iz Wantin' Ta Re-Issue Da Album First
Posted by Grand_Styles, Mon Sep-13-04 06:30 AM
Since he waz complainin' dat da album contained a few slight mistakez dat were noticiable to him but not to da listenerz, he might be more worried about gettin' dat album re-issued/remastered first before puttin' out da next single. Even though personally I think thoze two thingz shouldn't effect da otha except da order of priority to who'z eye Questo'z or Geffen. All I know iz both of dem betta not sit on their azzez too long on gettin' behind a new song out there to da radio stationz. The Roots can do sum under da table payola to certain key stationz across da country to let da label know dat da album still needz dat push.
2403, RE: Oh god...so no second single?
Posted by Queen_Amina615, Tue Sep-14-04 07:52 AM
Ever since I bought the cd, I've been debating with myself and others what the second single should be and I say "Stay Cool" should be it. I love the sampling, it always makes me wanna hear the De La jawn. But, it's been a couple months and I'm getting worried. Why can't the Roots get as much if not more respect (read: airplay)than these cookie-cutter, no flow havin', wack ass so- called MC's?????!!!!!