Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectBrown Sugar .vs Voodoo
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=23320
23320, Brown Sugar .vs Voodoo
Posted by ohioplayer, Wed Jun-21-00 08:53 PM
Okay, maybe this isn't even a fair question. We had five long, tedious years to marinate on the former before we even heard the latter. And the latter hasn't even been out that long yet. And they're two totally different albums. Okay, just wanted to get all that out of the way. Now, all excuses aside, which one is the better album cut for cut? Period. Holla at me.

"Feels so good inside myself/Don't wanna move/Feels so good inside myself/Don't need to move/Soon as I go up/I'm goin' down/And when I'm lost/I know I can't be found." -- Sly Stone, 1971

"In rhyme outs, you'll dial nine, just to get a line out." -- Wordsworth
23321, voodoo...no question
Posted by blacklove, Thu Jun-22-00 04:30 AM
is the better joint. Track for track,it the best r&b joint to drop in the last 20 years,point blank. The production alone can't be touched. It may have been 5 years in between albums,but D found himself during that hiatus. Don't get me wrong I still bump Brown Sugar damn near daily,but Voodoo is light years beyond it. I scared to hear the next joint.

One,
Blacklove
23322, RE: voodoo...no question
Posted by guest, Thu Jun-22-00 05:08 AM
I agree. Voodoo is without a doubt the better album. Brown Sugar is excellent but I feel that it lacks the depth (emotionally or lyrically) that Voodoo has. I don't think that there are any songs on Brown Sugar that have the lyrical depth of a devil's pie or send it on. Also Voodoo is more emotionally moving for me. I don't think Voodoo can be compared to anything in recent years except 80's Prince work.

>The production alone can't be touched.

The production on voodoo is flawless. The sound is so complete and different it's just amazing. The ONLY flaw on voodoo for me is the appearance by Red and Meth (I will rep this til I die) they just did not belong on that gem of an album. I have been considering burning a copy of the album with the version of Left and Right w/o Red and Meth.

I bump Voodoo everyday and Brown Sugar at least three times a week.

malcolm
23323, RE: voodoo...no question
Posted by MoJoTaters, Thu Jun-22-00 04:29 PM
>I have been considering burning
>a copy of the album
>with the version of Left
>and Right w/o Red and
>Meth.

stop considering and do it. i did and the whole album just flows perfectly now. that song was messing witht it all those fools fucked up the song but i bought the single that has the version w/o them and its so much better.

"Cash rules everything around you, MOVE!"-Mos Def

"I fucked your mother so I'm the motherfuckin man"-Xzibit
23324, i agree
Posted by reefdogg, Thu Jun-22-00 04:37 PM
that's the same problem i have with the album ... but still, like the first post i think this is the best r+b album to drop since i've been listenin to music (dont worry, i'm only 20)

IM and ICQ name: reefdogg1 (number one at the end)

okayivyleagueplayer reppin Brown University and NSBE region ONE !!!!

"don't get me wrong, i like the smell of it .. but when you need it, and you prefer it, are two different things" - Lootpack

I CAN'T BELIEVE THE KNICKS LOST!!!

23325, BROWN SUGA!
Posted by serena_love, Thu Jun-22-00 08:14 AM
I'm sorry I like brown sugar way more than I like voodoo. I like when stars go through their "trying out everything to see what fits" stage. He did all kinds of songs on brown and on voodoo he pretty much stuck to soul. I love voodoo to don't get me wrong but I LOVE BROWN SUGAR!

-Serena

Serena_Love & Raina the sexiest tag team the okayplayas have ever seen.

LEAH (evolution_23) for president!

"The new nachos bell grande is freaky deaky big! Crazy butt bumpin big!"-Some uncle tom ass negro readin some ish some kkk members wrote for a taco bell commercial, ain't that some shit?(this is a real commercial!)

O.K.P.D.D.A.(OkayPlayette Double-D Association)
sonyasimone-President
LordLadypharr-Vice President
krylonwifey1979-Treasurer
serena_love-Secretary

You like poetry? Go to http://welcome.to/theloveshack to see poetry from the executive bitch pres. NOW!
23326, and i agree, serena,....n/m
Posted by donwill, Thu Jun-22-00 12:23 PM
CUNNING LINGUIST (re)UNION ALBUM 7/25/00
-official soundtrack of the boards

sponsored by: knownots/SPAS/KOSAT/TOPAS/TBM/BBBS

"u are the beavis to my butthead"
-me to vet...
23327, voodoo
Posted by zero, Thu Jun-22-00 01:11 PM
Everything was stronger on this album, but i guess he did have 5 years to mature on his craft. Brown Sugar was a really good album, but Voodoo is on that next level. Cant wait for his next album. I guess we'll have 5 more years to marinate on Voodoo waiting for the next one.

----------------------------------------
AIM name: thelonius5

"Dogs love me cuz i'm crazy sniffable" -Beastie Boys

"The question was rhetorical, the answer is horrible,Our morals are out of place and got our lives full of sorrow" -Talib Kweli

"if you were born rich, you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs... And take them down" -Herman Blume (Bill Murray's character in Rushmore)

?uest's my hero!!!

23328, RE: voodoo
Posted by guest, Thu Jun-22-00 01:22 PM
I love both and I can't pick. But I will say this though, VooDoo has something we can't explain but only D can explain it. Brown Sugar is an album that will always be in our hearts as his first hit cd. If you listen to Brown Sugar the cd took us everywhere and back even to church on the song Higher!!!, Maybe it is just me but I really can't pick which cd is the best. Both cd's are too damn amazing!!!!!!!!!!.

Peace Yall!!!!!!

"Please give us strength, Lord, to fight our battles. And we can walk on the streets of gold." "D'ANGELO"

"SMACK YOUR ASS PULL YOUR HAIR" "D'ANGELO"

"LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE" "COMMON"

One Love ColeyCole99

"OKAYPLAYER RULES"

23329, RE: voodoo
Posted by guest, Thu Jun-22-00 01:28 PM
I feel as though Voodoo is a better album. His versatile talent shines more on this album. I still play Brown Sugar as well, but mostly when I am in the mood to hear love type songs(even SDM;pain but only love can make you pull that trigger). That's what Brown Sugar represents for me. He had to be in love when he wrote those songs. Not to say that there is no love on Voodoo, but there is also pain, celebration, fun and more going on with this album. I like albums that can take me several places in memory while listening (although I still don't like the jam session at the end of One Mo'Gin;kills my flashback).
23330, RE: voodoo
Posted by Rozjack, Fri Jun-23-00 05:20 PM
That nigga bet not make us wait another 5 years.
23331, Odd Man Out
Posted by BrainChild, Thu Jun-22-00 02:44 PM
While Voodoo should be celebrated for the "bold" release that it is, at nearly 79 minutes, it overstays its welcome (which was part of the problem with LWFC for me...), IMO.

When you have that much music, there's bound to be some parts that drag (was a 90 second intro to "One Mo Gin" really necessary or all those repeated lines in "The Root"?)

On the other hand, at about 45-50 minutes (not sure exactly, don't have the CD on hand) Brown Sugar, for me, is a concise, and much more satisfying album. Leaner and more filling.

(Why do I always use food metaphors when discussing D'angelo albums?)

--me--
http://www.thejawn.com/
http://www.thejawn.com/brainchild
http://www.thejawn.com/okprod

23332, RE: Odd Man Out
Posted by guest, Thu Jun-22-00 04:18 PM
at nearly 79 minutes,
>it overstays its welcome (>When you have that much music,

i ususally start voodoo at track 4. and that cuts the time by a pretty good amount.
>there's bound to be some
>parts that drag (was a
>90 second intro to "One
>Mo Gin" really necessary or
>all those repeated lines in
>"The Root"?)

i may be the only one. but "the root" was my favorite song on voodoo. i dont care that d repeated all those lines. i just really felt the song.
i say voodoos better. although my opinion may be biased since i bought brown sugar AFTER voodoo. i dont buy much r&b especially modern r&b. but voodoo seemed to have more depth to it than brown sugar.

"aint nobody gonna tell me how to be cuz ima be me AIGHT! cuz im a man now check it."- common

"i probably would get bumped more if i was a gangsta but i am a gangsta call me the gangsta of love."- common

"for this real hiphop yall im ready to die die."- dead prez

"i pray to God answers maybe ill ask nicer."-eminem

"i just wanna innovate and stimulate minds travel the world and penetrate through time. escape through rhythms in search of peace and wisdom raps are smoke signals lettin the streets know im wit em. but now i appreciate this moment in time ballplayers and actors be knowin my rhymes."- common

*** insert any other line from the sixth sense***

"hello this is the offices of dr. octagon if u have insurance and medical problems im here for u. for any type of intestine surgery, rectal rebuilding, relocated saliva glands and chimpanzee acne and of course moose bumps. u can call 1800-peepee5-1doodoo. im in ur corner."- dr. octagon

23333, RE: Odd Man Out
Posted by Rozjack, Fri Jun-23-00 05:38 PM
>While Voodoo should be celebrated for
>the "bold" release that it
>is, at nearly 79 minutes,
>it overstays its welcome (which
>was part of the problem
>with LWFC for me...), IMO.

What? That was a blessing! I would have killed for a double CD.

>
>When you have that much music,
>there's bound to be some
>parts that drag (was a
>90 second intro to "One
>Mo Gin" really necessary

That's the best thing about the song because you get to listen to that sexy ass bass line w/o vocals. And I take it that you didn't like Maze back in the day because they were notorious for long intros. Or maybe you're not old enough to know them.

or
>all those repeated lines in
>"The Root"?)

WTF!!!?? Again, that's the beauty of the song. Don't you know that repetition (and stop-time and call & response) is a technique that has been used in black music since it's beginning. It comes directly from African music. We brought that here from the Mother Land.
>

23334, RE: Brown Sugar .vs Voodoo
Posted by Essaywhuman, Thu Jun-22-00 05:38 PM
well, this one is really close. Personally, i love them both. But, Voodoo wins in overtime, by a field goal (or some shit like that). I love both these albums because they help me get through shit, and "the line", "send it on", "untitled", hell you know what, both entire albums help me sleep. hell, they're damn lullabies to me.

Essaywhuman?!!!??!'s All-time cd rotation:
1. D'Angelo - Voodoo
2. The Roots - Things Fall Apart
3. ATCQ - The Low End Theory
4. D'Angelo - Brown Sugar
5. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife

(there are more, but i couldn't fit them all, and my stereo only changes 5 cds at a time, okay player?)

http://www.geocities.com/eargasmproductions

"Is is an alarm clock or a calling that gets you out of bed each morning?"-Essaywhuman?!!!??!

AIM: CM 2Eight
E-Mail: twoeight@hotmail.com

23335, Re: voodoo hands down
Posted by guest, Thu Jun-22-00 05:42 PM
When I first heard Voodoo I felt something indescribable,it was surreal. I mean I could not believe the album- it was incredible. With all of the music coming out today, with its lack of creativity and redundancy, I was taken aback by Voodoos's sheer excellence. I mean I liked every track on there and was bumping it 24/7. I could actually listen to every track on the album which is rare. Voodoo is definitely the best album I have heard in years. I mean every time I listen to it something comes over me. This album is soul music at its best. I think people love this album so much because it brings to the forefront the music that is in us all, that we couldn't or didn't want to listen to before, he brings a new edge to it so that we all can relate. Brown Sugar was definitely an excellent album but it did lack the depth of Voodoo. Those who still don't think so, the next time you put on Voodoo, don't just listen to it, but try to HEAR it and maybe you will reconsider.

"We live not how we wish to, but how we can."- Menander (Greek playwright)

"Some men see things as they are and say, 'Why?' I dream things that never were and say, 'Why not?'"- Robert Kennedy
23336, Uh oh
Posted by BigWorm, Fri Jun-23-00 02:48 AM
Here we go again.

1Love,
BigPerm
23337, RE: Brown Sugar .vs Voodoo
Posted by guest, Fri Jun-23-00 06:51 AM
i don't think you can compare. if you compare and rate one better than the other, you would be comparing experiences and time. brown sugar was and is the best album for the time it came out. but now, here in the present breath voodoo is the album. it's a different time and with different time comes new experience and new sound. once you begin rating them against each other you take something away from each one. so they are different (not better or worse) from each other. ya dig?
23338, RE: Brown Sugar .vs Voodoo
i don't think you can compare. if you compare and rate one better than the other, you would be comparing experiences and time. brown sugar was and is the best album for the time it came out. but now, here in the present breath voodoo is the album. it's a different time and with different time comes new experience and new sound. once you begin rating them against each other you take something away from each one. so they are different (not better or worse) from each other. ya dig?
23339, RE: Brown Sugar .vs Voodoo
23340, RE: Brown Sugar .vs Voodoo
Posted by guest, Fri Jun-23-00 06:52 AM
23341, RE: Brown Sugar .vs Voodoo
Posted by guest, Fri Jun-23-00 06:52 AM
23342, RE: Brown Sugar .vs Voodoo
Posted by guest, Fri Jun-23-00 06:58 AM
i don't think it's fair to compare. once you begin to compare the album, you in essence are comparing experience and time. what i mean is that brown sugar was and is the album, for the time it came out. now here, as i breath listening to voodoo, it is the album of our time. with new experiences comes new sound. brown sugar and voodoo are different not better or worse from each other. once you rate them against each other you take something from each one.
23343, RE: Brown Sugar .vs Voodoo
Posted by guest, Fri Jun-23-00 06:58 AM
i don't think it's fair to compare. once you begin to compare the album, you in essence are comparing experience and time. what i mean is that brown sugar was and is the album, for the time it came out. now here, as i breath listening to voodoo, it is the album of our time. with new experiences comes new sound. brown sugar and voodoo are different not better or worse from each other. once you rate them against each other you take something from each one.
23344, oops..
Posted by guest, Fri Jun-23-00 06:59 AM
sorry for the multiple posts!
23345, And The Winner Is...
Posted by MeAnD_7, Fri Jun-23-00 05:00 PM
VOODOO!!!! And I'll tell you why. It shows his growth as an artist. Lyrically and musically it is a better album. And thank God for that. I didn't like VooDoo at first because it didn't sound like Brown Sugar. It took me about a month before I really fell for it. I still love Brown Sugar but I like VooDoo more because it is sooo different from Brown Sugar.

Red and Meth don't bother me. Shout Out to Scorpion9 because what really bothers me is that shit at the end of OneMo'Gin. I put a post up about it and ?uest didn't seem to like what I had to say. It's Okay because I still hate that part of the album. It kills the entire mood. I HATE IT and will even after I'm dead. The repetition at the end of The Root is my favorite part of the song. And VooDoo isn't too long. LWFC is tho'. I gotta skip around that mutha. But these are just my opinions.

A Conversation about "Send It On" and Rev. Pimp Daddy

Amiri-"Send It On" is classic soul. It's like Marvin Gaye and that guy.

MeAnD_7- What guy??

Amiri- You know Reverend Pimp Daddy.

MeAnD_7-Who the hell is Rev. Pimp Daddy???

Amiri- You know who I'm talkin' 'bout. He calls himself a Reverend now.

MeAnD_7-(Long Pause) You mean Al Green????

Amiri-Yeah Yeah That's It!!!
:7 ;-)
23346, Ten Words
Posted by JustLisa, Fri Jun-23-00 06:07 PM
Brown Sugar=Boy Genius

Voodoo=Eclectic Funk

Of the two - and even though it's not fair to compare - VOODOO gets it, hands down. I've found something to love about EVERY single song on that album.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. . .that she was some next level ish. . .still bump it ERRY day. WHAT?!
23347, Dag. . .I mean to change the subject line, my bad
Posted by JustLisa, Fri Jun-23-00 06:08 PM
:D tee hee!
23348, RE: Dag. . .I mean to change the subject line, my bad
Posted by Rozjack, Fri Jun-23-00 06:12 PM
Girl, where you been?
23349, waaaasup!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by JustLisa, Fri Jun-23-00 06:16 PM
chillin

that shoulda read "Dag, I meant to change the subject line" But you a D' head so I know you didn't ride the short yellow bus to school. :D
23350, RE: waaaasup!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by Rozjack, Fri Jun-23-00 06:44 PM
>chillin
>
>that shoulda read "Dag, I meant
>to change the subject line"
> But you a D'
>head so I know you
>didn't ride the short yellow
>bus to school. :D

LOL. That's pretty funny. You sayin' D' ain't got stupid fans. Why you gotta discriminate?

23351, RE: Brown Sugar .vs Voodoo
Posted by Rozjack, Fri Jun-23-00 06:11 PM
I say VOODOO!!! The shit is just amazing. I have never listened to an album like I listen to this one (and mind you I am notorious for playing an album over and over). It's like a fuckin' drug or something. I need my fix everyday. I'm still trying to get that feeling I had when I heard it for the first time. Just like a drug addict, right? hahaha. But, really, the first time I heard it I was just amazed.

I really don't understand people who say they aren't feeling this album. They are just so caught up in all of that commercialized watered down R&B that's out there now. They can't recognize real soul music when they hear it. It's funny because I was playing The Root in my car and my mother was with me. Her: Who is that? Me: D'Angelo. Her: It sounds terrible. My guess is that she didn't like the raggedness of it. She couldn't feel its poly-rhythmic elements (another African musical trait). The Root is my second favorite song on the album. Africa is #1.

Another thing I like about Voodoo (Brown Sugar too) is D's backgrounds. He doesn't let anybody fuck with his backgrounds. I like to call them "beautifully stingy." On Voodoo I love how the backgrounds are layered. They're sung in unison, but not really in harmony--another African musical trait.

Aw fuck it! I just love me some D' okay? LOL.