Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectBilal is Better Than D'Angelo
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=23208
23208, Bilal is Better Than D'Angelo
Posted by K_A_Wright, Wed Jun-28-00 12:19 PM
*donning body armor and stepping up to the plate*

Yes - I said it. D'Angelo is the shit. No doubt - but I think that Bilal ((Brother on Common's album & on Soul Sister on the Love and Basketball soundtrack)) has a better voice.

What ya'll think?? And don't just say "Oh he's finnnne blah blah blah." Come with the compare and contrast here, okay?

*bracing*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kristy*

SPECIAL QUOTES FROM MY NY ADVENTURE:

"Sheboygan!!" -- me

didi: Sing Soul Sister!!!
Bilal: I'M 'BOUT TO!!!

"All willy nilly!!" -- qtpi6

23209, Go see him live and then come back
Posted by Nesta, Wed Jun-28-00 12:31 PM
Son is good as hell, but he needs work. If u were in SOBs last night that was clear.

I mean your loins are talking, so I'll excuse you. But in all honesty there's no way to compare now. At least let the bruhs album drop before we start talking this mess.

And Soul Sista is one of the best D'Ang impersonations you'll ever hear love.

Nina Simone - The Ultimate Collection
Nina Simone - In Concert/I Put A Spell on You
Marvin Gaye - Here, My Dear
Rahsaan Patterson - Rahsaan Patterson
Roy Hargrove - Moment to Moment

"Let's do it ladies. Nesta doesn't need you, you need Nesta!" - Some genius named SkipGotSkills

CELEBRATING JUNE AS (RE)UNION QUOTE MONTH ON OKAYPLAYER.COM:
"Nesta, You r so damn sexy!! - Lyricalbullet (Hannah, plus remember you Brits are no good at wars anyway, almost as bad as the French)

"YIT-TI-DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!" - SkipGotSkills and Truth (Pops from the Wayans Bros.).

"If you're gonna grab my ass , you have to buy me a drink or talk dirty to me or something" - Me

23210, *raises eyebrow*
Posted by K_A_Wright, Wed Jun-28-00 03:39 PM
True, true - I have yet to see his whole show. D'Ang is amazing in concert - voice is amazing - stage presence is amazing.

I will wait to compare and contrast - plus..... quiet as kept - I just wanted to spice things up ova here. ;-)

Luv ya Nesssssssta.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kristy*

"Sheboygan!!" -- me

23211, RE: I have to agree..
Posted by guest, Wed Jun-28-00 12:40 PM
I think Bilal lifts his voice a little more--to me they sound a lot alike, but the differences are there. And I must say, he does lifts his voice more, I can understand everything he says without trying to take notes on listening too hard..

:-):P:*:7:D:-(and all that other mess.....
Don't hate me cuz I'm black, but love me cuz I'm human!

Email this chick at black_snow99@blackplanet.com

23212, Ohh!
Posted by guest, Wed Jun-28-00 01:03 PM
If anybody has noticed, I'm definitely one of the biggest Bilal supporters on this site, but that's a hard topic to choose sides on. And it really is hard to compare the two considering how little most of us have heard of Bilal, but here goes (By the way, I'm the farthest thing from a music genius, so forgive my lack of knowledge. This is gonna be mostly opinion-driven. I'm not an expert.):

Bilal (from what I've heard):
Strong voice and wide range
(From what I've heard) writes, produces, and plays several intruments.
Easy to understand
Cool artistic look (shell glasses and hat)
Is a modern funky soul brotha (always a plus)

D'Angelo:
Thick soulful voice and smooth falsetto
Genius writing, producing, and intrumentation
Hard to understand, but voice powerful enough to make it not matter
Cool artisitic look (making cornrows popular)
Modern funky soul brotha PIMP!

Okay, my lists did me absolutely no good, so now I have to wait for either someone to make a better one, or for Bilal's album to drop so I can make a better comparison. Okay, bottom line: they're both equally good artists in their own rights, so we should respect them equally for their talents. How's that? Love and respect.
-B

23213, Kristy, you know you my girl and all, but............
Posted by StillWaters, Wed Jun-28-00 12:50 PM
Im'ma need you to put the crack pipe down right now.
UUUMMM, how can I put this gently...Oh, I got it, HELL NO.
Bilal is, well, uumm, sophmoric. He fine and all, but he got a tad bit of work ahead of him. Still a tab bit rough around the edges.

But,then we see, the beautiful man some call DANGelo, I just call him beautiful. But the man is talented, got all the peoples going all willy nilly.

Furthermore, I belive that only difference between the two men is experience. Their both beautiful in their own little way.....:)HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, get it, little.

"I need testosterone"...emil

Not everyone can be on top(c)Prince,Pop Life

Dice Raw: "Reclaiming the Dead", September 19, 2000" Your just going to have to wait.

The brutal truth is that the bulk of white people in America never had any interest in educating black people, except as this could serve white purposes. It is not the black child's language that is in question, it is not his language that is despised: It is his experience. A child cannot be taught by anyone who despises him, and a child cannot afford to be fooled. A child cannot be taught by anyone whose demand, essentially, is that the child repudiate his experience, and all that gives him sustenance, and enter a limbo in which he will no longer be black, and in which he knows that he can never become white. Black people have lost too black children that way. (James Baldwin)
23214, Okay...
Posted by guest, Wed Jun-28-00 01:08 PM
I am VERY happy that someone brought up this topic, but I want to see some real comparing from the people that know how! Where's ?uest at? I don't think anybody could do this topic better than him! I'm just waiting!
-B
23215, RE: Bilal is Better Than D'Angelo
Posted by guest, Wed Jun-28-00 02:13 PM
I'll be the first to admit that Bilal had me swooning on Saturday, but I have not heard enough from him to say he is better than D'. But just imagine if the two did a duet, they'd be trippin over panties thrown on the stage.
23216, RE: Bilal is Better Than D'Angelo
Posted by guest, Wed Jun-28-00 02:17 PM
A collaboration between those two would be crazy! Too much talent for one stage! Damn, I hope they're cookin' up something for the future together!!
-B
23217, I am a diehard 4 D' but............
Posted by guest, Wed Jun-28-00 02:25 PM
The first time I heard Bilal I thought for a few seconds he was D'. I agree Bilal is a little more clearer than did but better I can't say that.......

**Live your life so you don't have to hide your diary** Me

*Pimpin ain't easy but someone has to do it* Kash

When I wake up in the morning the LORD is testing me by the end of the day the DEVIL has the best of me.....(c) Papa San
Blak Box Entertainment www.blakbox.com

AIM: MSLOCK2
YIM: C_Y_LOCK
Learn about me www.blackplanet.com/mslock2

23218, Kristy?
Posted by fire, Wed Jun-28-00 02:29 PM
When that guy found your wallet did he happen to mention that he found your brain?

anyhoo, no. you are vewy, vewy, wong. i like Bilal ALOT, but he's got quite awayze to go fo you can even start this shit.

please, please, please hurry up and get the possessions you left in NYC back, mkay? :-)

:*:P:9:7:*:P:9:7:*:P:9:7:*:P:9:7:*:P:9:7:*:P:9:7:*:P:9:7:*:P:9:7:*:P:9:7

"as long as we act like devils the devils will be worst devils and they will feed off our ignorance of our god like qualities" - nebt het

"I'm going to honkey hell!" - Shaka Sankofa

"cuz intelligent ass has bullshit detectors for assinine dicks w/hidden agendas...AAHH!!!...don't touch that tit: it detonates" - asighn4jane aka Okp's resident poet laureate

"CAN YOU DIG IT!"- Shaquille Oneal

"I wanna send yo skank ass to go get me a sandwhich and a snapple while I watch the game in peace." - NazDak

yo dun, i know you have a sense of humor, if not, toss this salad and show respect to a creative poster!!!! -okayplayer the truth

Holier-Than-Thou-Bitch-Killer
Raspberry Stolli Vodka-Sloegin-Curacao-2 ozs of Cherry Brandy-A splash of cranberry juice-Crushed ice-all in a pint glass For all these self righteous broads.on dat ice - datgirl sonyasimone

firefire100@hotmail.com
23219, kiss my booty
Posted by K_A_Wright, Wed Jun-28-00 03:47 PM
:-) Kidding Miss Lady.

For real though - I should have just said who is better. I REALLY like D'Ang, have been a fan for ever and a day - I just see alot of potential in Bilal.

Also - they are both VERY diffrent singers - so in an effort to 'rile up the coop - I went for the jugular - and said B is better than D.

So I feel you, mame. And my brain is still resting quiye nicely between my lil' ears, thankyouverymuch. ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kristy*

"Sheboygan!!" -- me

23220, Well
Posted by HeavenLei, Wed Jun-28-00 06:27 PM
I think Bilal has the better voice.
D is the better artist,

Bilal is a newbie and needs to grow.
that's all Imma say.

he looks better than D though :-)

WAIT!!!!!! Before the quotes start...

MY BIRTHDAY IS JULY 5TH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

okay now for the damn quotes

In celebration of ReUnion Quote Month...
"My mom posts... her name is anagram_skytalker" - that weird cat formerly known as emil

"Don't mess with me right now, I'm tired and I'm horny" - fire

"SSSSSSSSSSSSXXXXXXXXXXCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRCHCHC
HCHHHGHGHGHGHGHGHHGHGHGHGHGHGHRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHSS
SSSSNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNN
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" -ABACUS sleeping

want some other quotes? here they go!

"Fuck around if ya want bitches, but you better off acting like you know" -Dirty Harriet aka Rah Digga

"Voulez-vous...rendezvous...coo coo...les poo poo" -Lucien

"Mommy, you're a turkey burger!" - my daughter

"Yeah, well you're a bald-head Japanese!" - me

"No I'm not, I'm Korean!" -my daughter

HeavenLei
:-)( rhymes with hey, say, and OKAY!):-)
23221, My .02
Posted by MeAnD_7, Wed Jun-28-00 07:08 PM
I will give Bilal time to mature. I thought he sounded pretty damn WEAK in Central Park at Common's show. I think he has a lot of potential. When he started to sing, I made a face and said, "He's no D'Angelo."

:D :7 :) Improv is my Yoda :D :7 :)

You can't hide from yourself. Everywhere you go, there you are. (c) Teddy Pendergrass

23222, et tu k !??
Posted by qoolquest, Wed Jun-28-00 10:15 PM
man. last thing i'd expect from an ok vet is to resorting to posts such as this.

the two are apples and candy.

the chitlin' circuit class of 2000 (as published in vibe magazine sept. 2000)

?uestlove-grand nega, grand wizzard, soulquarian, soultronic, and still a root.

d'angelo- idu, dirty soul, soulquarian, and a soultronic.

jaydee- a villager, an ummaher, a soulquarian, and a j-88er

james poyser- a grand wizzard, an axis, and soulquarian.

common- cornbread, madame zenobite

q-tip- ummahite. triber.

erykah badu- bag lady with green eyes

mos def- good tree-ite. native toungueite. black star. 1/3 of the greatest comedy siblings since the hudson brothers. (guess this pop culture reference and i will send you an autographed copy of "from the ground up" must guess tv station, 3 brother's names, and what phrase did they utter every week?

talib kweli- an eternal reflection, a blacker star

bilal- boy genius. soultronic. (didn't know that huh?)

23223, question
Posted by StillWaters, Thu Jun-29-00 03:49 AM
Who would be the apple and who would be the man candy....i mean candy.

"I need testosterone"...emil

Not everyone can be on top(c)Prince,Pop Life

Dice Raw: "Reclaiming the Dead", September 19, 2000" Your just going to have to wait.

The brutal truth is that the bulk of white people in America never had any interest in educating black people, except as this could serve white purposes. It is not the black child's language that is in question, it is not his language that is despised: It is his experience. A child cannot be taught by anyone who despises him, and a child cannot afford to be fooled. A child cannot be taught by anyone whose demand, essentially, is that the child repudiate his experience, and all that gives him sustenance, and enter a limbo in which he will no longer be black, and in which he knows that he can never become white. Black people have lost too black children that way. (James Baldwin)
23224, dammit man!
Posted by K_A_Wright, Thu Jun-29-00 09:11 AM
I am triiiiiiii-ying to stir it up - 'cause a ruckus. Get folks to conversate ((I know that ain't a word, shaddup)) - I gotta act up sometimes. ;-) Calm down with that "e tu" poppicock.

2 kats as diffrent ((musically, age/experience wise, influences))as D & B derserve to pitted against each other if not only for the sake of delving into each ones stregnths and weaknesses. I wouldn't be surprised if D was one of Bilal's influences ((marinate on that, ya'll)). They are both influenced by Prince, Marvin, Al, Sly and the like but I still see distinct diffrences and areas where they overlap and supercede each other. That is what I am looking to get into here.

I want to discuss that. As someone who knows both and can speak on both more so than any of us can - could you help facilitate? And your word choice, apples and candy is interesting:

Apples = organic, natural and good for your body ((soul?)), provides genuine sustinance?

Candy = artificial, not so good for you, though it can exert a temporary high, sweet?

Care to delve, bruh?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kristy*

"Sheboygan!!" -- me

23225, interesting theory..
Posted by guest, Tue Jul-04-00 11:23 PM
but as an apple a day keeps the doctor away - D'Angelo would be the candy..

and if you think that's a silly response, then i say,

how the hell can you compare D' (with two successful albums to his credit, plus a number of songs on soundtracks) to Bilal on the strength of one solo song (Soul Sister), two choruses (6th Sense, Funky for You), and an interlude (Alright, Okay?)

that's not just unfair to both artists, but..

it's silly

andsh:ockknowssilly
23226, You know why I think Bilal is dope?
Posted by serena_love, Thu Jun-29-00 03:46 AM
because you know that d could not have ripped up sixth sense the way bilal did. it wouldn't have sounded nearly as dope. now i think this question is irrelevant at least right now. due to this site we know everything about d and nothing about bilal so that's all i gotsta say.

-Serena
23227, And you know this. MAAAAAAN!
Posted by HotThyng76, Thu Jun-29-00 12:40 PM
What about "Funky For You"? The ending...no way D could do that.

But that doesn't make B "better" IMB. They're just different.

I need a Bilal album so I can compare.

------
JULY IS HOT THYNG MONTH, DAMMIT.

NEVER FORGET...JULY 25
23228, Funky for Who?
Posted by BillyDanz, Thu Jun-29-00 08:23 PM
now i loves me some end of funky for you-- by damned it's one of my fav. moments on the album! but come on now, D could have dome that with his eyes closed. the man is simply not human. he is a machine-- a cyborg that was put on this planet to funk shit up.
i still love bilal. i think he's one of the most promissing new artists to come up in a minute. but please, people......

"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such celebrity funerals as, 'Andre The Giant, We Hardly Knew Ye' and 'Shemp Howard, Today We Mourn A Stooge.'"
23229, C'mon now
Posted by serena_love, Thu Jun-29-00 08:31 PM
can you really hear d doin the shit that bilal was doin on commons album? it just doesn't sound like something he'd do. he's a soulful and talented bruh and i love him, i'm just sayin that d could not have tore up commons album the way bilal did cause i dunno bilal has his own sound and d's sound ain't the same. i mean just listen to ghetto heaven, funky for you and the sixth sense and u'll see what i'm talkin bout.

-Serena
23230, RE: C'mon now
Posted by Rozjack, Thu Jun-29-00 09:03 PM
>can you really hear d doin
>the shit that bilal was
>doin on commons album? it
>just doesn't sound like something
>he'd do.

Duh! You just made everybody else's point valid. It doesn't sound like something D' would do because D' has a different flavor.

bilal has his own
>sound and d's sound ain't
>the same.

Again, you're arguing against your own point. So what is it that you're tring to say exactly?

23231, D can't sing like B.
Posted by HotThyng76, Fri Jun-30-00 05:31 AM
Fuck it. I'll just put it out there. If D tried to blow like B did at the end of "Funky For You", he'd be out of commission for about 2 months. He just don't have the pipes.

That doesn't mean he's not extremely gifted, but his gifts lie elsewhere.

Imagine Bilal singing the last chorus of "The Root"...

------
JULY IS HOT THYNG MONTH, DAMMIT.

NEVER FORGET...JULY 25
23232, i beg to differ...
Posted by KD, Fri Jun-30-00 09:27 AM
i think d does have the pipes to sing "funky for you"...as a matter of fact, i know a lot of heads (including myself) that thought it WAS d the first time they heard it...bilal's nice, but i don't think he's as versatile...'nuff said!
23233, RE: D can't sing like B.
Posted by Rozjack, Fri Jun-30-00 11:43 AM
>Fuck it. I'll just put
>it out there. If
>D tried to blow like
>B did at the end
>of "Funky For You", he'd
>be out of commission for
>about 2 months. He
>just don't have the pipes.

Did I miss something? I had to check out the ending of that song again (although I've heard it several times) because I didn't remember hearing any vocals that were so outstanding that D' couldn't do them. Bilal is tight as hell, but I'm not understanding what's so "unreachable" for D'. Did anybody hear D's vocals on the MTV movie awards? He was belting that shit out. And as far as Bilal doing The Root, why couldn't he do it? He could do it, but it just wouldn't have D's exact sound because he's not D'. I don't know why people are comparing the two. They are both very talented. Yeah, their styles are similar, but they both have their own flavor.
23234, Okay...my two cents, thanks!
Posted by SankofaII, Sun Jul-02-00 01:31 PM
Kristy...i love you dearly, but DAMMIT---you need to put the CRACK PIPE DOWN (didn't we tell you crack kills brain cells, luv? :))

first off, this post is irrelevant--how can you compare a long established artist (D'Angelo) to an up and comer (Bilal) who, save for a soundtrack song (Soul Sista) and a guest spot on a Common track (The Sixth Sense), hasn't delivered a full album yet? Wrong..kris..you DEAD WRONG (C) Notorious B.I.G.

I think we should all wait until Bilal's album is out later this month and THEN make comparisons (even THEN we can't cause Bilal would have to put out A FEW albums to warrant an honest and informed comparison/critique..not a "Bilal is phiner than D with those funky ass shell glasses" type motif...)

I'm not a musical scholar by any means, but I DO know that Bilal is a new artist and has a ways to go before we can start saying he's better than D or anyone ELSE for that matter who straight up GIVES IT in their music. i mean, hell, that's like saying the following folk can be compared honestly:

Sinead O'Connor vs. Britney Spears/Mandy Moore/Jessica Simpson/Christina Auguliera

Conclusion: granted, the latter artists may score mainstream popularity points and superfical physical aesthetic points, CAN'T NONE OF THOSE women compare to Sinead's lyrics/instrumentals/etc. AAAAND..I DOUBT any of those latter clucks could RIP a Prince song like Sinead did on "Nothing Compares To You"---im sorry, her version is classic and will ALWAYS be remembered long AFTER the britneys/christina's and the like can't put out an album anymore cause their audienced grew upand tossed them aside for someone else.

Me'Shell Ndegeocello vs. any RNB female act out right now(though, IMHO, Erykah/N'dea/Joi/Me'Shell/Laurnea are all equal in my book)
Conclusion: Me'Shell, despite public opinion about her being a bisexual Muslim, etc., can sing and write literal HOLES around Destiny's Child/Mya/Blaque/TLC, etc. any sista act that's selling CRAZY CD'S (eff it..i'ma put En Vogue w/o Dawn Robinson in this too...cause they sound WEAK and tired nowadays). based on her body or work/her live shows/no holds barred attitude and boldness to BE an individual (said RNB chicks look and SOUND too much alike to me and everyone else these days)/and folk she's collaborated with and WILL in the future, Me'Shell CAN NOT be touched. it's that simple...plus, SHE will be remembered years after those above groups have stopped performing OR were busted cause folk found out they REALLY CAN NOT SING...plus, Me'Shell can branch out into jazz/blues/hip-hop (check Deuteronomy:Niggerman on Peace Beyond Passion/If that's Your Boyfriend/diggin you like an old soul record/souls on ice..DAMMIT ALL of plantation lullabies and TELL ME i'm full of it) and make ALBUMS in each genre. the above acts named can't even do ONE album right in RNB, much less anything else.

what i'm saying is WAIT until bilal puts out that first album (and next two, cause i'm SURE folk will diss him if the first album isn't up to what folk are expecting) and THEN start making those comparions, ok? :)

Kris, i STILL LUB you gurl, even IF crack is taking over your life! :)

Ryan

Check Out My New Signature, Fam:

"If you don't like me, I'll punch you
dead in the fucking face"
--Vin Diesel (THE FACE--MAY 2000)

"It is essential that non-gay black people recognize and respect the hardships, the difficulties black gay people experience, extending the love and understanding that is essential for the making of an authentic black community".
--bell hooks

"Homosexual persecution and condemnation has at its roots not only social ignorance, but a philosophically active anti-feminist dogma".
--Lorraine Hansberry

"Isn't it a shame? A black man invented the clock, and some black folks still don't know what time it is".
--Jewel McCabe"

"When a star shines, you get the light several million years later, and the star's probably dead by the time you get the light. I'd rather be the moon".
--Me'Shell Ndegeocello

"Being a healthy black gay adult is doubly hard, considering the propaganda to the contrary".
--Me'Shell Ndegeocello
23235, RE: Okay...my two cents, thanks!
Posted by Rozjack, Sun Jul-02-00 09:05 PM
Your comments were ON POINT!!! You nailed it homie.

***D'...AUG 4TH...FRONT ROW CENTER...CAN'T WAIT!!!***

"Now keep in mind that I'm an artist and I'm sensitive about my shit."
--Erykah Badu

"Hi. My name is Rozjack and I'm a Voodooholic."
--me

"Music. It's in me."
--me

23236, BLASPHEMER!!!!!!
Posted by JustLisa, Thu Jun-29-00 03:56 AM
Naw, just kidding K, but how many instruments does
Bilal play? How long has he been performing? How many compositions does he have to his credit? What about songwriting? I don't know that much about Bilal be I gots to speak up for D' on this one. ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:D~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within~ Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

~'Tis truly a sad thing to have the aspirations of genius, but be confined by the trappings of a mediocre mind~ me
23237, RE: BLASPHEMER!!!!!!
Posted by Rozjack, Thu Jun-29-00 04:46 PM
Ditto. Like Bilal though. Want an album.
23238, Uhm!
Posted by nebt_het, Thu Jun-29-00 05:08 AM
i aint read the responses yet so in case it hasnt been said they both are excellent singers but how can you compare them?
They both have different styles they aint doin the same shit.......you cant compare them!
Respect they individual styles and appreciate they differences!

Iam both a Bilal And D-Angel-o fan and i give them props as artist damn good artist!!!

"let the righteous woman be exceedingly glad, Rasta bless the likkle and the much wa ya have" - sizzla

"tahitian fresh berry treat...she's a capricorn" -GhostFaceKillah

" E El Isum Shil El Eloh El Rahmun, Alazi Izu El Rahummul!"

23239, Not even fair to compare...
Posted by blue23, Thu Jun-29-00 06:18 AM
How are we even supposed to compare the two? D' has two finished albums that are top to bottom dope and I don't know another so called R&B artist I can say that about.

What am I supposed to be judging Bilal on? His three word hook on Common's Primo produced single? Too much talk about Bilal with too little to back it. I'm not hating but where is the evidence for all this love the cat gets?

Besides D' makes music, he sings, writes, produces and plays. I don't know anyone else, besides maybe Lenny Kravitz, that does that and sings. Well, Lauryn claims too but Quest says different.

So that's my two cents,
Peace,
BTW
23240, Now We Are Getting Somewhere!!!
Posted by K_A_Wright, Thu Jun-29-00 09:21 AM
When "Brown Sugar" first dropped - we were all crooning and swooning over Mr. Man. Why?

When B's album drops - whatcha think - will we be as likely to croon and swoon?

My thinking is naw. At least not at first. I think it will take a minute for people to catch on just as it did with D but I also think that B has some polishing to do before things fall into place correctly. Not to say he isn't great, he just isn't completely there yet, nah'mean? Kat's young though - and how old was D when Brown Sugar came out??

Guess we will have to wait until B's album drops to REALLY compare and contrast - or would that be like comparing D & Maxwell? Speaking of Maxwell - where does he fit into this equation?

Was his success merely because we were longing for more if that thug-love-funky shit from D and Maxwell was our only alternative or as close as we could get to D in his absence?

I know I'm all over the place with this - but whatever...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kristy*

"Sheboygan!!" -- me

23241, go to the first page of the lesson
Posted by fire, Thu Jun-29-00 09:30 AM
there's a maxwell post there, but you missed the big one from a few weeks ago. it was a battlefield!
23242, RE: Now We Are Getting Somewhere!!!
Posted by Rozjack, Thu Jun-29-00 04:52 PM

>or would that be like
>comparing D & Maxwell? Speaking
>of Maxwell - where does
>he fit into this equation?

Maxwell is the man. He is a dope ass songwriter. Can't compare him and D' either. They are two incredible artists.

23243, where does maxwell fit in
Posted by atruhead, Mon Jul-03-00 04:20 AM
D- Jerry Springer
B- Jenny Jones
Maxwell- Oprah (no straight men watch oprah)

see the analogy? maxwell doesnt fit

Got beef? take it to the email

"Black prodigy since the age of 20"- Sadat X

"Thats my story and Im stickin to it"-Red n Meth

Celebrating July as fake quote month

1) "You know I never thought about it that way, you may be right"- Nazdak

2) "Sure you can have another lollipop" candy2

3) "Prince's latest is his best to date"- ?uest/prov

4) "Theres nothing for me to post about"- fire

5) "fresh baked chocolate chip cookies for all the sexy womens, they can even eat my shells n cheese if they sexy enough"- bonamie

6) "I dont even feel like using my phone today"- lovejonez

7) "Bilal who? atruhead puts him to shame"- various okayplayettes

fake quotes end here

i will give her the decency that should be afforded all of God's creation, but past that u gotta gimme a reason to treat u like a queen- emil speaking the truth

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious dociousexpialilisticfragilcalisuper- Ghostface

Another thing: Okay.... so the Gamma ray's changed his MOLECULAR structure...... how the fuck did it change his name though? Did the gamma rays leave him too stupid to remember the name "Dr. David Banner"?- Mil on the Hulk

23244, Sigh
Posted by Rozjack, Mon Jul-03-00 06:34 PM
>D- Jerry Springer
>B- Jenny Jones
>Maxwell- Oprah (no straight men
>watch oprah)

Don't fucking go there honey. Just don't go there okay.

--Erykah Badu

--me

"Music. It's in me."
--me

23245, RE: Sigh
Posted by atruhead, Wed Jul-05-00 03:14 AM
>>D- Jerry Springer
>>B- Jenny Jones
>>Maxwell- Oprah (no straight men
>>watch oprah)
>
>Don't fucking go there honey. Just
>don't go there okay.

That was of quite the kidding nature, I wasnt being homophobic or anything of the like. im known for dissing maxwell because in my opinion he doesnt appeal to men, just like oprah deals with ladies issues, so I think the analogy was decent. I like to joke around n have fun a lot Peace

Celebrating July as fake quote month, from the home office of my bedroom tallahassee, fl the top 9 are (letterman style)

9) "You know I never thought about it that way, you may be right"- Nazdak

8) "Sure you can have another lollipop" candy2

7) "Prince's latest is his best to date"- ?uest/prov

6) "Theres nothing for me to post about"- fire

5) "fresh baked chocolate chip cookies for all the sexy womens, they can even eat my shells n cheese if they sexy enough"- bonamie

4) "I dont even feel like using my phone today"- lovejonez

3) "Bilal who? atruhead puts him to shame"- various okayplayettes

2) "Fuck sensitivity and fuck culture, both of which long island breed, so in essence fuck long island"- melanism

1) "Nothing beats lonliness, I couldnt be more content"- atruhead

fake quotes end here

i will give her the decency that should be afforded all of God's creation, but past that u gotta gimme a reason to treat u like a queen- emil speaking the truth

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious dociousexpialilisticfragilcalisuper- Ghostface

23246, hater extraordinaire
Posted by fire, Fri Jul-07-00 07:46 AM

Like what the fuck do they know? All their taste is in their mouth Really, what the fuck do they know? Come on, baby Let's go crazy!" Hey, look me over Tell me do U like what U see? Hey, I ain't got no money But honey, I'm rich on personality Hey, check it all out Baby, I know what it's all about Before the night is through U will see my point of view Even if I have 2 scream and shout Oh baby, I'm a star! Might not know it now Baby, but I are, I'm a star! I don't want 2 stop till I reach the top Sing it! (We are a star!) Hey, take a listen Tell me do U like what U hear? And if it don't turn U on Just say the word and I'm gone Honey, I know ain't nuttin' wrong with your ears (Oh) Hey, check it all out Better look now or it just might be 2 late (Just might be 2 late) My luck's gonna change 2night There's gotta be a better life
Take a picture sweetie, I ain't got time 2 wait Oh baby, I'm a star!
U might not know it now Baby, but I are, I'm a star! (No!) I don't want 2 stop till I reach the top Sing it! (We are a star!) Everybody say nothin' come 2 easy But when U got it, baby, nothin' come 2 hard U'll see what I'm all about (See what I'm all about) If I gotta scream and shout (If I gotta scream and shout) Baby, baby (baby), baby (baby), baby (baby)Yeah… yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah! (Star!) Might not know it now Baby, but I are, I'm a star!
I don't want 2 stop till I reach the top Sing it! (Star!) Baby, baby, baby
Oh baby, I'm a star! Doctor!

23247, Oh, okay then
Posted by Rozjack, Sat Jul-08-00 03:58 PM
>That was of quite the kidding
>nature, I wasnt being homophobic
>or anything of the like.
> im known for dissing
>maxwell because in my opinion
>he doesnt appeal to men,
>just like oprah deals with
>ladies issues, so I think
>the analogy was decent.
>I like to joke around
>n have fun a lot
> Peace

Cuz I was about to get on you for talking about my Maxi ;-).

--Erykah Badu

--me

"Music. It's in me."
--me

23248, My reasons...
Posted by guest, Thu Jun-29-00 11:57 AM
The reason I respond and try to contribute to these posts is (1) D is my favorite music artist and B is working his way up there, and (2) I'm hoping that this will open the door for some people who know a little sumthin sumthin about Bilal to share the info with the rest of us. I was really hoping that ?uest would leak just a little info about the man to us, but the apples and candy thing was more a riddle to me than an informative phrase, or something. So here's the open door and straight up question: What do ya'll know about Bilal?! Come on now, share! Love and respect.
-B
23249, Bilal sounds like D
Posted by guest, Thu Jun-29-00 01:42 PM
i will say that if i didn't already know who it was on Soul Sista i would of thought it was D

"If I DON'T LIKE It, I DON'T LIKE IT, THAT DON'T MEAN THAT I'M HATIN'" ~COMMON

"I GOT LOVE IN THE FACE OF HATE" ~ TALIB KWELI

"We either niggas or kings or bitches or queens"~ Mos Def

"I DON'T GET MANY COMPLIMENTS, BUT I AM CONDIFDENT," ~ TALIB KWELI

PEACE & BLESSINGS
23250, Hell Yes Yes Yes
Posted by Kev, Fri Jun-30-00 02:00 AM
From what I have heard so far Bilal can switch his style up more than D.I also appreciate the fact that he doesn't mumble when he sings.I can actually hear what he's saying.I still like both dudes.Although D has some redemption to do in my book.

Non-believers get my dick and genitals backwards-Redman

One1
23251, RE: Bilal is Better Than D'Angelo
Posted by Tam, Fri Jun-30-00 06:15 AM
The only thing I've heard of Bilal is the hook he sung on Common's song "The Light" and imo I don't get what all the comparison is about. From that hook Bilal sounds NOTHING like D'Angelo. I think it's counting chickens before they hatch to try to compare an artist who has yet to release an albulm to a cat who's released 2 tight to death CDs and has been on countless soundtracks!
23252, HELL NO!!!
Posted by guest, Fri Jun-30-00 06:23 AM
HELL NO HELL NO HELL NO...CAN I STRESS THAT ENOUGH!?!
23253, compare this!!!!!!!!
Posted by guest, Fri Jun-30-00 07:31 AM
Bilal is a undeniable talent, but what are u comparing??? first dude said voice...im not a music head, but both have good voices, my only beef with d is that sometimes i dont know what the bluck he is saying, but regardless...STYLE damnit STYLE...D has this by the gallon...voice alone dont get it...ask JANET...MISS JACKSON if your nasty.

"Blindfolded, tap dancin,at bullfights, wearin a snorkel, goose, and boots in the middle of July"-Thirstin Howl III

"Rappers steppin to me,they wanna get some, but im the kane, so yo, u know the outcome..another victory, they cant get with me, so pick a B.C. date cause your history"-Big Daddy Kane

"To the British, I'm Ghandi
To the Japanese I'm an American pilot flying over Nagasaki
To the AIDS patient I'm your last anti-body
Sitting and waiting for a cure from modern biology"-Canibus
23254, RE: compare this!!!!!!!!
Posted by cocoaprince, Sat Jul-01-00 08:30 AM
d to me is a mixture of al green and prince, which is tight! but bilal is on some gospel-funk riffs with that voice. the first time i heard it i was like, if anybody would get a singer like that to spit on their track, it would common-hiphop from the soul, cause of course he got chantay savage to sing on his other cd, and she is anointed on the vocals. and "this time", her latest cd, love it!
23255, freakin ay
Posted by atruhead, Sun Jul-02-00 06:44 PM
Got high respect for you n your opinions madam, but thats quite a bold statement youve made there. So what soul sista makes women feel special? Eff that Im not a woman so it doesnt move me like that. I do like Bilal, but I highly doubt that any song of his will take over my whole soul like "the root" has, thats powerful shit if it can almost bring me to tears. Will Bilal ever be able to come with a song that grooves and is funky as "brown sugar" without being compared to d? He must carve his own niche to matter, I have a feeling hes gonna be looked at as one of those talented cats who are a secret (m'shell ndgegeocello for example). Bilal is gonna make waves while D brings the whole tide for that ass. Especially after seeing the mtv awards, not a male artist currently doing this is effin with d in my opinion (stevie excluded because he doesnt have any new material)

Celebrating July as fake quote month

1) "You know I never thought about it that way, you may be right"- Nazdak

2) "Sure you can have another lollipop" candy2

3) "Prince's latest is his best to date"- ?uest/prov

4) "Theres nothing for me to post about"- fire

6) "I dont even feel like using my phone today"- lovejonez

7) "Bilal who? atruhead puts him to shame"- various okayplayettes

fake quotes end here

Another thing: Okay.... so the Gamma ray's changed his MOLECULAR structure...... how the fuck did it change his name though? Did the gamma rays leave him too stupid to remember the name "Dr. David Banner"?- Mil on the Hulk

23256, Bilal and D'
Posted by Jaleel, Mon Jul-03-00 01:37 AM
yep, Bilal is a bad boy, no doubt. I grew up with the cat and saw him grow into one of the baddest young vocalist around. You think he can sing R&B, wait til' you hear him sing jazz. Anyway.... there's no reason why the too should be compared. I mean, D is probably my favorite out there now. Both of the brotha's are bad and I want to see these cats go far.... maybe even do a collabo, so let's end this comparing thing now... before some beef starts that yaw'll cats began. It's all about the music. Bilal and D are two out of a small handful of vocalist that inspire me today. They should both be applauded!
23257, RE: Bilal and D'
Posted by guest, Mon Jul-03-00 02:25 PM
Yo, thanks for the email, Jaleel. I tried to write back, but it said that you have an invalid address, or some shit. So, I'll say it here: thanks. And if you can get that date to me soon, I'd really appreciate it. Love and respect.
-B
23258, RE: Bilal is Better Than D'Angelo
Posted by BigWorm, Tue Jul-04-00 05:01 AM
Come on now.

D has two studio albums and how many tracks?

And all Bilal has is Soul Sista?

And y'all already comparing?

july is fake ass quote month

"What...D wants me to replace ?uest on the Voodoo tour? Nah, man, I already got this Chico DeBarge gig hooked up."

"Dammit Angie, stop calling me. I WILL NOT GO OUT WITH YOU."

"I don't care if he is calling himself Prince again, he's ain't throwing a damn concert at MY bar-b-q!"

"Lucy Pearl was only so so, but did you hear that new En Vogue album?!?!?!?"

"Who's on the phone? Mos who? Fuck that nigga. I got Positive K on the other line."

Many years ago: "Yo BigPerm, I don't really know why I want to do with my life."

"You could hook up that job at Harold's chicken."

"I don't know man. I'm not really feeling it."

"You know what Rashid? You should start rapping. You got mad rhymes, and more common sense than anybody I know."

"Yo, I just got a idea!!!!!"

1Love,
BigPerm
23259, Better than D'Angelo??
Posted by guest, Fri Jul-07-00 10:44 AM
Bilal without a doubt is cool. HOWEVER....D'Angelo's voice is more soothing to me. When he sings, I feel it!!! That's why I consider him to be the better soul singer!