Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectKeep coming back to this thread...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=23067&mesg_id=23114
23114, Keep coming back to this thread...
Posted by thebigfunk, Fri Jul-14-00 05:38 AM
Not necessarily for its original topic... more than anything, just cuz this is just some Voodoo Appreciation ish.

Voodoo is one of the best ALBUMS in my collection... by that, I mean it works as a whole piece, as well as a song by song deal. It's best heard from the beginning to the end... Playa Playa as its intro, Africa as its winding down piece.

The transitions are so smooth. The same atmosphere permeates the entire piece, it feels like one giant meandering composition. (Oddly enough, my mind jumps to the musical Ragtime, which feels like one giant really really good song to me :) )

It never feels choppy. Even going from slower pieces to faster pieces... (The Root to Spanish Joint, Chicken Grease to One Mo Gin).

Dammit, another Voodoo day.

-thebigfunk

"Genuine beauty is always quite alarming." - 'The Secret History'

"Aloofness is a cardinal sin in an age when a perplexed humanity eagerly turns to its writers and thinkers, and demands of them attention to, if not the cure of, its woes and wounds..." - Nabokov's "The Real Life Of Sebastian Knight"