Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectIn the name of Love and War Took ...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=23067&mesg_id=23086
23086, In the name of Love and War Took ...
Posted by Arch_Angel, Tue Jul-11-00 06:49 AM
..my Shield and Sword. Whew!! The Root is priceless.

Chicken Grease - "...Like that old bucket of Crisco that sitting on top of the stove...simmer, simmer".... - just the timing of when D says the words is damn cool. That "staticky", far away pitch/tone of his voice is damn cool.

Playa, Playa - "...We came here to rip sh*t, make ya'll scream and shout". This cut is bad in itself. I think it gives the "overtone" of what to expect from the whole album - it's going to make your scream, make you shout, make you dance, make you cry... "Drummer's drumming right"...big ups to ?uest..."We gon' turn this mother out..." Can't nobody step to D - the man is in a class all by his lonesome.

...And what about "Africa"? The music, the words, the subject - just beautiful. Only three musicians/singers stick out in my mind when it comes to Odes to their children: Stevie Wonder ("Isn't She Lovely"), Babyface ("The Day") and now D with this captivating song to his children. Each time I hear it and I'm with my two-year old son, I just sit and stare at him. Man, he touches so many hearts. I hope he truly knows this.

That's all for now. Gotta put Voodoo in now...

Petersburg Homegirl