Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectThanxHOT/the Queer Question
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=22864&mesg_id=23061
23061, ThanxHOT/the Queer Question
Posted by pointfivefag, Thu Jul-13-00 11:49 AM
thank you Hot (seriously) for resubstantiating the already painfully obvious.

I myself am really kinda done with the whole notion of not supporting Common as an individual artist because of his politic. He's kind of become a symbol of the hypocritical bullshit endemic to a hip-hop culture that so vociferously prides itself as a bastion of truth, verity and...

...."realness"(I usually know i'm about to hear a buncha bullshit when someone insists upon using that phrase)

I in no way expect Com (and dont give a shit)
to embrace my queerness, in all of its manifestations, as a part of his politic or lifestyle or vision of whatever.

I do find it interseting that,from my years of scene-stering in hip hop that:

1) Misogyny, eroto-homo-bi-trans-phobia,sexism, classism, etc. is generally tolerated (and excuses made for it) from so-called "progressive" or "conscious" MC's or groups

Ex: Public Enemy's virulent homophobia
("the G that Killed Me" etc.) or

Arrested Development's strident brand of
"Im the Good Afrikan in the Dashiki/Youre the bad Nigga with a 40 in your back pocket" class-stratification

while the same is vilified when it comes from
"gangsta" or "hardcore" MC's
("We expect those stupid country gold teeth wearin-n-helicopter flyin mofos to be on some bullshit! they cant help theyself!")

and

2)That this is only an issue because there arent any *nationally prominent* gay/lesbian/bi/trans/fetish MC's who are OUT(not yet, but soon) and articulating their lives in rhymes.

AGAIN , what happens when an MC says to Common (or anyone else for that matter)...

"YES,YES In a CIRCLE of FAGGOTS , my name is mentioned HUNDREDS of times,I tonguekiss boys, I suck dick, and im PROUD of that,
and FUCK YOU or anybody else who has a problem with it!"

How dope are you going to be, Scared of Faggot MCs, when the Faggots claim their birthright, when they come with skills,when they break your shit off in a cypher (they already have, you just didnt know it was them :))

who you gonna dis? who will be the Nigger below you on the hip hop social totem pole?
where will you go when there is no more
Old Straight Black Boys Club Network for you to belong to, or when people who will never belong cease using membership in it as a barometer of their worth as a human beings?

The women arent taking it anymore. The white boys
have come for theirs.

where will you go?
who will you be *doper than* then?
who will become the epitome of wack?

I sincerely hope that anyone reading this understands that I posit the above as *my* opinions and observations only. But I do *know*
from experience that

-prejudice is usually UNILATERAL
-fear of the unknown or different or uncontrollable is fear all the same
meaning..
a Homophobe will usually also be
ageist/classist/sexist/racist etc.
on some level or other. think about it. and watch.

whatcha gonna do/when they come for you?!

peace and rice
juba kalamka, pointfivefag/kinseythree
of the D/DC
oakland/san fran