Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectThe 'Telephone Operator' Effect
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=22864&mesg_id=23059
23059, The 'Telephone Operator' Effect
Posted by guest, Tue Jul-11-00 06:12 PM
Remember that school-yard game, "Telephone Operator"? If you don't, let me refresh your memory: The telephone operator (the first kid) would whisper a message in a circle of ( or group) of kids and the next kid would pass it on, and so on...and by the time the message reached the end of that circle it was totally screwed up?!

Please excuse my rambling--I'm all nostalgic at this point because this forum has reminded me SO MUCH of that childhood game.

I was at Maritime Hall when this alleged incident took place. There was tons of pushing & shoving going on prior to Common’s poetic interlude. The section where the gay guys were making out--which was off to the right side of the stage—competed with Common himself for audience attention.. There had been a small series of fights breaking out in that section throughout the show and security had to intervene. That is what initially drew Common’s attention and why he felt compelled to say something. The guys were very aggressive in their PDA and it looked like a fight from where I stood (which was not far away) so immediately following his “Keep the Peace,” statement, Common got a little salty with the two guys (who had the crowd in a slight uproar themselves).

Yes, Common expressed his disdain for their act (but they had taken it a bit too far). He did not, however, condemn the two for their sexual orientation, he just made it known (to quote him loosely) “that it ain’t cool” while he’s standing on the stage. Basically it was more of a “Get A Room,” type of thing which I’m sure he would have said if a man and woman were doing the same thing (to the degree that the 2 guys were).

It’s funny to see people up in arms over something that they have NO firsthand knowledge of. It is very interesting how SOME folks could turn their backs on one of their “favorite” artist over HEARSAY. I am a black woman and I don’t agree with his frequent use of the N word, but I’m not loosing any sleep over it. I am, however, fighting to make a difference in those things that I don’t agree with…

“Before I came up I had to elevate” Common

“…I'm trying to soar to altitudes unknown to man, woman or the most agile of birds!” Ylana