Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Whats up with this Common anti-f#g freestyle?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=22864&mesg_id=23055
23055, RE: Whats up with this Common anti-f#g freestyle?
Posted by guest, Tue Jul-11-00 12:30 PM
Okay, so are you saying that you condone the actions of the KKK? Just because its legal doesn't mean that its right. Cops got away with killing Diallo... LAPD with beating Rodney King... does that mean its okay. I think its totally fine for Common to have his beliefs and such... but I think as an artist, he should be responsible for how he expresses them. If a white artist sang about killing all blacks, would it be acceptable because they were "just expressing how they feel". I am just trying to draw the parellelism. I want artist... especially minority artist to understand that prejudice and hate is wrong... Someone like Commone ridiculing a gay couple is just as bad as someone calling him a nigger. Its wrong because it dehumanizes the victim for no reason. Its says that you are less human or less valuable because of your color... or your sexual orientation. Not because of anything that has to do with merit. The Catholic church has decided to accept their gay children because they realized that we should love all of God's children. I would hope that Com is at least as conscious as the Catholic church!