Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Whats up with this Common anti-f#g freestyle?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=22864&mesg_id=23052
23052, RE: Whats up with this Common anti-f#g freestyle?
Posted by guest, Mon Jul-10-00 05:05 PM
I recently heard about this occurence too. It really changed my perception of Common. How can someone who preaches educating yourself and all that stuff be so ignorant. How can an artist who comes off as being so secure in his manhood allow two human beings expressing themselves to make him feel so uncomfortable. All that talk about loving your sisters and brothers.... what about the millions of black gay men? Does their sexuality make them any less your brother? If your real brother was gay, would you abandon him too. I can't believe that in the year 2000 we could have someone as celebrated as Common being so ignorant. Thinking a man is any less human because of his sexual orientation is completely neanderthal. That is exactly the kind of thinking that allowed the white men of colonial America to rationalize taking human beings from Africa, packing thousands of them on a ship like cattle, robbing them of their humanity, and forcing them to do whatever they said. That kind of thinking allowed for rape of your ancestors... the queens you praise. And it is that kind of thinking that allows for the overlooking of the murder of contemporaries like Diallo. Bigotry is bigotry and ignorance is ignorance. You can't justify it because seeing an expression of it makes you uncomfortable. Did you think it was okay for slave owners to lynch a black man because the sight of him made them uncomfortable. Think about it! And start educating yourself!