Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectwell... (sound of dead horse being beaten)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=22864&mesg_id=23016
23016, well... (sound of dead horse being beaten)
Posted by BDX, Thu Jul-06-00 08:01 AM
I've been checking this whole thing (just sat here and read all of it), and I wanna make a few points...

1) The whole conscious thing... does "conscious" mean that you have to bend over backwards accepting everthing without having (voicing) your opinion? Does openmindedness equal not being able to stand up and say that something to you is wrong? I agree tht Com may have some issue with the whole homosexual thing, but why must he have to like it. I consider myself an evolved man of sorts; and, because of my upbringing and religious beliefs, I think that homosexuality is wrong. Lots of things are wrong; however, so it's not like I single out one particular group as opposed to another. Furthermore, it is not a tenet of my beliefs to hate or try to change anyone, love is paramount. I simply supply information on what I believe when asked, or if a positive opportunity arises. Is that not being "conscious"?

What Common did... was a reaction to set of stimuli (that may have been purposefully) set before him. Remember, y'all he was freestylin, and this was his concert. If you know the performer is already against a certain lifestyles, and you sit blatantly in front of said artist displaying said behavior... well, I think Com was within his rights to say something, just off GP that they weren't paying him no mind. Male or female, I would call out people kissing in a freestyle no doubt.

3) I don't think that Common was oppressing anyone by asking those two guys to leave. He was addressing two people that really didn't pay him any respect when you boil it all down. On a side note, I also don't think that the Gay Community should equate their struggle with the Black Community. I think that if someone decides to out themselves or remain in the closet, they still have a choice in the matter, being black affords no such choice; although, I understand why they have to (still don't mean I like it, though). But honestly, to me, it should be a moot point... everyone deserves basic rights no matter where they put whatever into whomever.

peace.

"the Boondox Camp... when you absolutely, positively, must kill every MC in the (expletive deleted) room... except no substitutes!" -BDX (ala Sam Jack) '00