Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectHow was She? Com-Mom!:-)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=22864&mesg_id=22991
22991, How was She? Com-Mom!:-)
Posted by pointfivefag, Wed Jul-05-00 09:29 AM
Ive been waiting for someone to address this.
cool.

Im really not particularly interested in censorship, boycott,or homo-bi-eroto-transphobic bullshit of any stripe.

Im bothering to post because for one, I dig Common. and as i said in a post way back, my experiences with him (caz meetings in the street and opening for him in '92) found him to be a really cool guy.

I'm really more disappointed than angered, because I really thought (and still believe) he's doper than he's allowing himself to come off.

Heard a couple days ago about common fagdissing in San Fran of all places, down the street from me at Maritime Hall (" This is the Bay Area, not the Gay Area" blah blah, among other things, I was told by a more than a few people who attended.)

I have for myself only, and primarily for my amusement, decided that one of the following things is true.

1. Common has some latent homo desire he is suppressing, and must constantly fagdiss in order to edify his fragile heteronormative stance,

or:

2. He is a very typical tall,handsome heterosexual well spoken lightskin-ded black man from the southside of Chicago. Being "good looking" and articulate, he is constantly challenged by other males (and women) in his social spheres with regard to his sexuality.An unfortunate part of Chicago's very conservative Midwestern "big city space/small town thinking" dynamics.

example

lightskinned (read: more beautiful) and articulate= white (read:"un-hiphop)= weak=effeminate=gay, faggot, etc.

are either of the above totally true? dont know.

do they have a smidgen of truth? id bet money, cause ive seen it played out over and over again.

whether people want to admit it or not, Bohemian,"progressive" hip-hop styings have long been the refuge of queerboys..

(I being one of many: I cant count how many times I got called "faggot" back in the day for being into De La, Pharcyde and such.I even heard people refer to Souls Of Mischief as "faggot pretty motherfuckas" for nothing more than being goodlooking and not on some gunboy shit)

and I can see Com having serious problems with being percieved as such, especially in terms of what it would mean to his commercial viability,which for the first time in his career, is a reality.

I still think its wack on his part, because he's obviously more talented than this.

I wouldnt want to be in his shoes.they look tight than a motherfuck.

peace.at an internet cafe, and gotta give it up.

jubakalamka, pointfivefag of D/DC

28 yrs. Chicago westside, 1.5 years in san Fran/Oaktown, all of it sissified:) )