Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: oh... this makes me sad.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=22864&mesg_id=22964
22964, RE: oh... this makes me sad.
Posted by Rozjack, Tue Jul-04-00 01:32 PM
>Common raps about oppression of
>blacks, how can he oppress
>homosexual people? that's selfish.

I think you need to rethink that statement. Com has never oppressed gay people. He would have to DO something to them in order to do that. I really don't like it when people compare the Black experience with the gay experience. Of course the two experiences are similar in regards to facing overall descrimination, but beyond that the two are completely different. I'll give you an example. A Black person is born with their color (and no I'm not saying gay people aren't born that way). We (Black people) walk through life with our color. There is no hidding it. Gay people can simply (if they choose to) hide in the closet. No one has to know that they are gay if they don't want them to. On the surface, oppression is oppression, but the oppression of Black people and gay people aren't the same. And before anybody attacks that statement think about it like this: When you were a child and your parents put you on punishment you were being oppressed, right? Let's just say you were told not to go outside to play, but you could stay in your room and do whatever. Now, ask yourself, would you rather be TOLD to stay in your room or FORCED to stay by being chained to the bed or something? That's a silly example, but it gets my point across, which is this: They are both forms of oppression, but one is more extreme than the other.

I have nothing against gay people. I don't agree with the concept of homosexuality, but that doesn't make me dislike a person just because they are gay. What they do is their business. I don't agree with what they do, but I can't still respect them as people. Their sexual preference has nothing to do with their personality. Now, Com chose to voice his opinion. He had every right to do so. Some people may not have liked the way he did it, but that's his way. Like it or leave it.

***D'...AUG 4TH...FRONT ROW CENTER...CAN'T WAIT!!!***

"Now keep in mind that I'm an artist and I'm sensitive about my shit."
--Erykah Badu

"Hi. My name is Rozjack and I'm a Voodooholic."
--me

"Music. It's in me."
--me