Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectdone topic....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=22864&mesg_id=22878
22878, done topic....
Posted by mellow, Fri Jul-07-00 07:28 PM
this topic is done for me. I've got my opinions, everyone has theirs. After reading most of these posts, Opinions ran the gamut. To say i was disappointed with some of the opinions is an understatement. How can people "seem" to have so many things in common but stray in big issues.
There's no way i'm gonna condemn someone for trying to be who they are, even if they don't live the lifestyle i believe in. Neither would i try to oppress somebody by being a part of the problem. You may not see the issue as being as important as others because of your personal circumstances, but you shouldn't downplay other's who are suffering. Until a year ago, i didn't really know anybody gay, but after working with some co-workers who were, i opened my eyes and perceptions about what i thought gay people were all about. I got schooled and learned how small my way of thinking was in pigeon-holing people to fit my limited experiences. Today, i realized i can be friends with people if their gay or not, 'cause i realized we all have the same needs and emotions. And to make light of this situation is like making light of an offensive joke about someone and playing it off as "what?? it's just a joke man, lighten up..". To much of that mentality i've seen and i silently went along with even though i disagreed inside.
I said my peace, but people will always look out for #1 before opening up for others. I think it's human nature to do that.