Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: just a man...but heard by many...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=22864&mesg_id=22877
22877, RE: just a man...but heard by many...
Posted by guest, Thu Jul-06-00 10:06 PM
I agree that there is no excuse for offensive comments and that people should be tasteful when choosing their words, but let's be real. He may have been offensive, but you make it sound as though it were a crime he committed.

I think that people today are too accepting of everything that goes on. Not to say that I'm homophobic, but I do not accept that kind of lifestyle and I refuse to go along with it just b/c it's done. Common speaks of spirituality and part of spirituality, to me, is being pure and true to your beliefs. If he feels that way about gays, then so be it. Who are YOU to judge his perspective? I'm a spiritual person myself, and part of it is turning yourself inside out and examining everything that you believe in order to be more complete.(Know thyself) Where Common is in his spiritual journey, I don't know, but expressing yourself is not a crime.
And excuse you, but he doesn't need practice in verbal etiquette. I'm glad that he is not afraid to say what he feels. It's time that people tell the truth and stop going along with the gradient. We as a society need to get everything on the table so that we can sort them out. Common's remarks may cause a stir, but at least people will start talking about issues that really matter.

Making fun of someone's sexual orientation is NOT nearly the same as making fun of etnicity or race.
If I was gay, I could hide it from the world. But I can't hide my blackness. There's a difference.

"If I don't like it, I don't like it. That don't mean that I'm hatin'.." -Common