Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: I saw it....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=22864&mesg_id=22868
22868, RE: I saw it....
Posted by guest, Thu Jul-06-00 11:34 AM
Well kinda...I was at the show in the front, but off to the side, so I didn't see the couple kissing. But I did hear Common's freestyle. I think he said something to the effect of "this is san francisco, not san fagcisco...or something like that. Well, I don't want to quote him, but everyone gets the picture. A few things come to mind when I think back to that moment and read some of these people's responses...

1. Big cities are usually know for something. NY for the Statue Of Liberty, L.A. for the weather...San Francisco is known for gay people. Everyone knows that!!!

2. Does everyone honestly think that these two guys were really that familiar with Common? Do you think they said to themselves "We know Common doesn't like homosexuality, so let's kiss in front of him?" I mean, if you were black (and I am, so I can say this), would you pay your $ to hear someone dis black people? If you were white, would you pay $ to hear someone talk about white folks (well, actually some of you would and do. And what I mean by that is a black hip-hop artist can say something about white people, and a lot of white people still buy the album or pay to see the show. I'm only speaking the truth!) They probably just went to the show to hear some good music.

3. It's a double-standard. Most of ya'll know if it was 2 females making out, you'd love it. But since it's male, it's disgusting.

4. You don't have to like everything that goes on around you. I don't like seeing fat girls in biker shorts or half shirts, but that's their perogative if they want wear it. Just like it's their perogative if these two guys want to kiss.
If you don't like it, turn your head, as long as it's not hurting you.

5. Most people that are paranoid about gayness, are usually trying to hide something themselves. If you are comfortable with your manhood or your womanhood, they it shouldn't asffect you.

Now from a hip-hop perspective, the fact that Common busted into a freestyle about something he witnessed-I can appreciate that, even though I don't agree with anything he said. Hell, if we agreed with everything that was said in our music, we'd all probably be a bunch of bitches, hoes, and niggaz (props to the artists who go beyond that). From a humanity perspective, well we are all human beings and we all deserve to be treated with respect. Just remember that...