Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRelativity was better? sheesh!!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=22829&mesg_id=22861
22861, Relativity was better? sheesh!!
Posted by pointfivefag, Thu Jul-13-00 12:39 PM
What was the basis for this thread?
How many people bought Common's shit when he was on Relativity? did he ever break 100,000? 150,000?

I wonder.I also know for sure though, at the time that Common signed with Relativity, their rap division was pretty new, and the fact that they were able to develop the national presence the did for him (Chicago was gettin little major label love at the time).

He had "underground" popularity, didnt move a zillion units, and they put out THREE progressively better albums. they allowed him to develop to the point he's reached.Do You know how quick most labels will drop your ass if you dont move units right away?
Remember Roughhouse Survivors? Chi Ali? Relativity acts.didnt blow up, and outta there.

I had a small clothing merchandising deal with a friend through an international distributor and was terribly underpromoted (the same company manufactured and distributed for some cats that had a line named after a popular mini cigar, hint hint)and have seen the difference.

Common has commercials.
billboards. posters.bus stop benches. some nice web pages. skateboards.
posters all over Virgin Megastore in San-Fran.Shit, he's everywhere. people who dont listen to rap know who he is when I say his name.

and he's being "underpromoted?" He's actually SOLD RECORDS for the first time.

I personally wasnt really into the Jazzees project,but it made me want to hear more from them. I like where there going
(how many YEARS ago did I se their names in rap album thank yous? congrats for sticking it out.)
I dont see Black radio getting into them except for some after hours quiet storm shit. Radio is stiff like that.

Expect Jill Scott to move mabye 75,000 or so copies when her shit drops (has it? I unfortunately dont see more than a hardcore loyal following supporting her immediately. Her labels gonna have to WORK that project.Hip Hop sensibility , fully clothed, no curses. a hard sell, if nothing else.

remember how long it took the Roots...

peace

jubakalamka,
pointfivefag/kinseythree