Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Too bad...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=22829&mesg_id=22853
22853, RE: Too bad...
Posted by spirit, Wed Jul-12-00 07:06 PM
>Naw, bruh. What I'm sying
>is fuck MCA because regardless
>of the fact that Com
>is FINALLY gaining success, MCA
>did nothing to help him
>except put up a couple
>green LWFC posters.

Cousin, you must learn. They did way more than put up some posters. Don't know the stats on how much the "Sixth Sense" video costs, but that's the most damn extras I've *ever* seen in a Com sense video. They put some cheese in that. That's one.

Two, I saw nary a poster up for "Resurrection", so if your local town is plastered, that's MCA spending dough on street promotion.

Three, "The Light" is being heavily pushed to radio. i hear it on radio in between me starting my car and popping a tape in the deck. This means it's getting some rotation, because I for damn sure don't spend much time listening to DC urban radio, home of the world's smallest playlist where the same joints get heard over and over. I'm sure Com is offering radio heads a nice Sisqo break here in DC.

Had
>he gotten the same promotion
>as OTHER MCA artists...

Such as? The Roots? Sauce Money? Who are you talking about here?

he
>might be in a better
>position. Look at the
>Jazzyfatnastees who have no solid,
>established fanbase like Common or
>The Roots.

Who are also in a totally different genre of music.

Without Com's
>fan's and an indesputably dope
>album

indisputably? nothing in music is indisputable. a lot of heads were hating on that joint. believe me.

- had he been
>a new jack - would
>he have gotten the success?
> No. I don't personally
>believe that he would have.

so many variables. there are a million variables. you realize that industry pushed albums flop too, right? and in this game "established" is a nonexistent word, because you're only as good as your last hit in 2000....and if your last hit was 4 years ago, it's an uphill climb. That is unrelated to Com, but just to say that there are very few people with a fanbase large enough to guarantee them gold status when they step to bat. You seem to have mistaken Com for one of those few. You're wrong. Com's album is about to go gold because the folks at MCA were solidly behind him.

The jazzys apparently, for whatever reason, don't appear to have gotten the same amount of push from their label. I'm still trying to figure out why *they* weren't the opening act for D'Angelo at every one of his dates. They need the exposure, they're okayplayers, they're in the same musical genre as D. Instead, (as much as I love em) D went with Mos Def and dead prez, two acts with music completely different from his, which was sure to throw off the older crowd he was attracting for the tour (because the 40 bucks was keeping a lot of younger cats away).

Spread love,

Spirit
http://www.theamphibians.com

9 out of 10 people with two arms find something interesting about http://www.theamphibians.com
This summer: new audio, same odd sense of humor. Don't get "left" out, mossie your two-armed self on over and check it out.

WTFxSTFU writes...

Rasco really ruined the lp for me, I dont understand how he gets jocked like he does. He's so wack. Some of the lines he throws really make me sick. But Planet Asia is dope. - WTFxSTFU

Rasco responds....

thanks for the $16.00 yours truly the wack rapper.
RASCO