Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectAre you on crack?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=22829&mesg_id=22847
22847, Are you on crack?
Posted by StillWaters, Mon Jul-10-00 01:02 PM
Common at Rawkus? Rawkus who? Rawkus what? I think you need to put the crack pipe down and see "The Light"....LOL*note to self:"Your damn funny Stilly"*
As for the Jazzy's...I'm not sure the whole logistics of record promotion, but I can say that with any of the Okayartist, their promotion has come from the fans, plain and simple. Need I remind you that African Americans have kept their culture alive through word of mouth. We learn how great aunt Nellie earned her living back in the day through the stories your family told. Moreover, we learn the struggle and strife of our people through the songs of yesterday, today and tommorow. So, it is up to us to continue to help the record companies such as MCA, who have given a chance to such artists' as The Roots and the Jazzyfatnastees (July 12, The Garage, Wash.DC)
to promote artists who are helping to keep our culture alive, not through death, but through love.
I know I just went off on a tangent, but dangit....so what.

Dice Raw: "Reclaiming the Dead", September 19, 2000" Your just going to have to wait.

The simple shut doors and screams inside of my head. It wd be difficult. To make such a straightforward document of my life. Because in fact sometimes I yet cannot face understanding that my life has been a roll of minutes. A series of absolutely connected images, being born and passing almost at the same time. I think my life an incredible maze and blotch of shadows, circuses, divas, and floats. Much sadness. Much hapiness. Mostly expectation and desire. And yet it is all here in me to be revealed reunderstood. (Amiri Baraka..."6 Persons", I)

The brutal truth is that the bulk of white people in America never had any interest in educating black people, except as this could serve white purposes. It is not the black child's language that is in question, it is not his language that is despised: It is his experience. A child cannot be taught by anyone who despises him, and a child cannot afford to be fooled. A child cannot be taught by anyone whose demand, essentially, is that the child repudiate his experience, and all that gives him sustenance, and enter a limbo in which he will no longer be black, and in which he knows that he can never become white. Black people have lost too black children that way. (James Baldwin)