Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectWill D'angelo last or just be a Man of the moment?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=21856
21856, Will D'angelo last or just be a Man of the moment?
Posted by Dimples, Wed Aug-16-00 06:26 AM
Look Ladies, and fellas

I KNOW for a fact that most of your answers will either be Hell yeah! or Hell no! BUT Why I ask this question is because I want to see what y'all think of D'angelo as an artist, aside from the fact that He wears tight leather pants or next to nothing nowadays(ie, "how does it feel"). I was into D'angelo since Brown Sugar, but when D came out this year with that video, I'm not gonna lie I took the morning off from school and I went to the Record store to make sure I was one of the first people. And you know what?, that is something I would never do. Because of the video D was no#2 on the Billboard charts for weeks, think about it Left & Right was not even in the top ten, and that was his first video out for Voodoo. No Excuses people. D'angelo is lookin better than he ever has, but I know every word to every song on
Brown Sugar which was nominated for a Grammy. I only have selected songs from voodoo that I listen to. I know guys who are also hatin on D saying all kinds of bullshit, as though he's the only Black male that has ever shown an oily chest in a video, without realizing that D is just trying to send a message across, about the change in R&B music today. Just holla at me and let me know your honest opinions on this topic.
Vrai ou Faux?
21857, uhm
Posted by fire, Wed Aug-16-00 06:42 AM
d is a classicist. his music, IMO, is already timeless. i don't see him falling off anytime soon. mkay?

NOW PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT!!!!

"respect my month or lick my rump!"-fire da BITCH

"respect my genius, suck my penius!" - young isa/my dawg

"my conscience is clearer than a mirror ." - me

"pull up to it don't drive through it!"- grace jones(a true bitch)

"diva's need love 2." - cupcake via klymaxx

fire - okayplayer's resident leona helmsley

PEACE TO THE HIGHLY CONTROVERSIAL!!!!!:o (c)mcbride215
21858, ????????????
Posted by guest, Wed Aug-16-00 06:46 AM
I didn't think about that until you posed that question, but with D's first album I bought it and still listen to it. I'm an okayplayer for life , but i have to admit i didn't buy the cd. Just hasn't struck me yet as an Oh damn gotta go get that cd yet. Sorry D the video wasn't good enough to make me rush to the store. Definitely faux

Insomnia
21859, man, come on..
Posted by grannie, Wed Aug-16-00 07:02 AM
no one admits today that they ever liked to spice girls and their shit was #1. 20 years from now, no one will want to admit to being britney or nstink fans and their shit is #1.
nevermind the charts, man. this nigga is a legend. that man is here to rescue soul music. you don't do that and get forgotten. soul-messiah is what he is.

August is Top Ten Month!
10 things to do at a department store

10.hold cashiers hand and say "i feel sexy today."
9.dart suspiciously through the store humming the theme from "mission impossible."
8.put M&Ms on layaway
7.stand in the elevator facing the corner and whenever someone gets on start counting down, "10..9..8.."
6.walk up to an employee, say "i think we have a code 3 in housewares" and see what happens
5.hide in a clothing rack and when people browse thru yell "pick me! pick me!"
4.make a trail of orange juice to the bathroom
3.hum only the first 7 notes of "it's a small world" over and over again.
2.anytime someone makes eye contact w/ you, look surprised and say to them, "hey! when did you get outta prison?"
1.go to fitting room and say real loud, "excuse me, we're out of toilet paper in here."

21860, RE: man, come on..
Posted by Re_Alief, Wed Aug-16-00 08:11 AM
that
>man is here to rescue
>soul music. you don't do
>that and get forgotten. soul-messiah
>is what he is.

Do you really believe that? I love the album, but I don't think he'll change any thing in Black music! Why can't duke just do his thing...make great music?
That's a lot of weight to be putting on somebody's shoulders...

Peace2U,
Ré Alief ~~~> A.L.B.C.

Dickheads love to tell half a story...and that half be about the HALF they heard. 1/4 stories. - ANGieee

http://www.BlackPlanet.com/Members/MyPage/viewpage.html?MEMBER=SukiSuli
SUPPORT http://www.recordkingdom.com (Tankus said so! ;-))
the last thing I did with OkayPlayers: http://homepages.go.com/~blaktwin2/OKPz_at_Bobz.html

21861, her opinion
Posted by fire, Wed Aug-16-00 08:16 AM
is springing from her loins :7
21862, see? why it gotta be all at?
Posted by JustLisa, Wed Aug-16-00 08:25 AM
"her opinion is springing from her loins" :D. Stop it, stop it right now! Grannie ain't showed none of those groupie tendencies! :D

"Happiness is a journey, not a destination. Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like no one's watching."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.I'm about sick of 'dem damn quotes~~~~

21863, tsk tsk fire..loins now?
Posted by grannie, Wed Aug-16-00 09:01 AM
let's not sully this discussion with loin talk, shall we? do you not agree that a woman can have an opinion about a musician's body of work without considering his actual body?
my opinion sprang from my view of the state of r&b music today. d'angelo's music is a breath of fresh air. not only that, but his music made me check out and purchase music from like-minded musicans and artist that i may not have purchased or even heard of if it was not for him. and i am certain that other people feel that way, too.
just because i have "loins" does not mean that they think for me. i have a brain, too.

August is Top Ten Month!

9.dart suspiciously through the store humming the theme from "mission impossible."
8.put M&Ms on layaway
7.stand in the elevator facing the corner and whenever someone gets on start counting down, "10..9..8.."
6.walk up to an employee, say "i think we have a code 3 in housewares" and see what happens
2.anytime someone makes eye contact w/ you, look surprised and say to them, "hey! when did you get outta prison?"
1.go to fitting room and say real loud, "excuse me, we're out of toilet paper in here."

21864, u guys
Posted by fire, Wed Aug-16-00 09:11 AM
damn i'm joking!

u guys have zero sense of humor anymore!

by the way: a guilty conscience has no accuser;-)

stop being defensive.

and stop lying. you know you think he's cute. i defend maxwell 1/4 of the defense is based on my loins.
21865, pleading innocent..
Posted by grannie, Wed Aug-16-00 09:32 AM
i have never seen d'angelo. dunno what he looks like. isn't he the little dark skinned fellow from a tribe called quest?

August is Top Ten Month!

8.put M&Ms on layaway

21866, I know Phife Didawg. . .
Posted by JustLisa, Wed Aug-16-00 04:49 PM
I fux w/the Five Footer, and he, Mr. D'Angelo? Is know Phife! :D

Now D' on the other hand? Let me just say :9

see fire, u startin' shyt again! :D

"Happiness is a journey, not a destination. Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like no one's watching."

21867, RE: u guys
Posted by Rozjack, Wed Aug-16-00 12:25 PM

>i defend maxwell 1/4 of
>the defense is based on
>my loins.

You can not have my Maxi. That's my other man. hehehe.

***D'...AUG 4TH...FRONT ROW CENTER...SHEAR HEAVEN...I'M IN LOVE!!!***

Rozjack's Top 10 Songwriters:
10) Teena Marie
9) R. Kelly
8) Babyface
7) Jill Scott (yep that fast)
6) Erykah Badu
5) Marvin Gaye/Stevie Wonder
4) Lauryn Hill
3) Maxwell
2) Sade
1) D'ANGELO *Who else did you think?

"Now keep in mind that I'm an artist and I'm sensitive about my shit."
--Erykah Badu

"Hi. My name is Rozjack and I'm a Voodooholic."
--me

"Music. It's in me."
--me

Jill Scott: The Voice of Today's Black Woman
--me

21868, Don't make me
Posted by Rozjack, Wed Aug-16-00 01:51 PM
do a Jill on you.

10) Teena Marie
9) R. Kelly
8) Babyface
6) Erykah Badu
4) Lauryn Hill
3) Maxwell
2) Sade

--Erykah Badu

--me

"Music. It's in me."
--me

--me

21869, ayo fire?
Posted by JustLisa, Wed Aug-16-00 04:46 PM
u know I ain't trippin'!? Brang IT! :D Ha, ha!

21870, AWW SHUT UP! u know that azz
Posted by JustLisa, Wed Aug-16-00 04:44 PM
looks good!:9 :D *Oops, pardon me ya'll, there's that MULTIPLE PERSONALITY TOURETTE'S again!* THINE EYES, THINE EYES!! *paging Dr. Freud*. . .:D:D:D

21871, ditto
Posted by Aja, Wed Aug-16-00 09:07 AM

that was kinda wayward-the soul messiah??? that's a little too much off the meter

check out http://www.recordkingdom.com

(this is kinda nice, tank!)

21872, Huh???
Posted by Rozjack, Wed Aug-16-00 12:22 PM
>that
>>man is here to rescue
>>soul music. you don't do
>>that and get forgotten. soul-messiah
>>is what he is.

>
>Do you really believe that? I
>love the album, but I
>don't think he'll change any
>thing in Black music!

He already has changed black music. He did that with Brown Sugar. After Brown Sugar people like Maxwell, Erykah, Rashan Patterson, etc. came on the scene. The success of Brown Sugar made record companies clamor for other artists that made real soul music. With Voodoo he evolved to a whole other level; a level that must people can't understand. Let's face it, if you didn't grow up with that kind of music (70's era) then it would be hard to identify with it. But, to say that D' hasn't made any changes in Black music is crazy. He has contributed 2 musical and lyrical masterpieces to the "genre" known as R&B--a genre that has been filled with over synthesized music, sampling, and empty typical lyrics. It is quite evident that D' has changed the game.

10) Teena Marie
9) R. Kelly
8) Babyface
6) Erykah Badu
4) Lauryn Hill
3) Maxwell
2) Sade

--Erykah Badu

--me

"Music. It's in me."
--me

--me

21873, naw, think it was just timing sis. n/m
Posted by Re_Alief, Wed Aug-16-00 12:58 PM
Peace2U,
Ré Alief ~~~> A.L.B.C.

Dickheads love to tell half a story...and that half be about the HALF they heard. 1/4 stories. - ANGieee

http://www.BlackPlanet.com/Members/MyPage/viewpage.html?MEMBER=SukiSuli
SUPPORT http://www.recordkingdom.com (Tankus said so! ;-))
the last thing I did with OkayPlayers: http://homepages.go.com/~blaktwin2/OKPz_at_Bobz.html

21874, RE: naw, think it was just timing sis. n/m
Posted by Rozjack, Wed Aug-16-00 01:49 PM
What choo talkin bout Willis? lol. please elaborate.

10) Teena Marie
9) R. Kelly
8) Babyface
6) Erykah Badu
4) Lauryn Hill
3) Maxwell
2) Sade

--Erykah Badu

--me

"Music. It's in me."
--me

--me

21875, i disagree
Posted by guest, Wed Aug-16-00 02:04 PM
it wasn't JUST timing
sure, timing had something to do with it
BUT D' and brown sugar was the catalyst for a renaissance of soul music

the effect that Voodoo has on Black music remains to be seen, but i believe it will be substantial

the third album will revolutionise ALL music

sh:ockdamnmuhfucka

21876, RE: i disagree
Posted by fire, Thu Aug-17-00 03:05 AM

>
>sh:ockdamnmuhfucka

:D:D:D:D:D:D

21877, RE: man, come on..
Posted by guest, Wed Aug-16-00 04:11 PM
>nigga is a legend. that
>man is here to rescue
>soul music. you don't do
>that and get forgotten. soul-messiah
>is what he is.

I feel you grannie. ;-)

TM
21878, The Miseducation of Some Okayplayers.....
Posted by khimes, Wed Aug-16-00 07:09 AM
WTF? D'Angelo is not gonna fall off ANYTIME in the near or far future. I'm at Jackson State University, and just yesterday I heard somebody say that Voodoo was bullshit. Again, WTF? Bottom line, Brown Sugar was a terrific debut album, I still listen to it myself. But Voodoo is a musical classic. It was made with the intent of being intricate. As you can see (or hear), not many of those songs are "radio-friendly". It was an album made for people who love music to death. It is a MUST HAVE. After buying this album and really studying it, you will view music much differently. I, for one, appreciated those feel good songs from Brown Sugar, but I love Pino's bass playing, and I almost died when I found out that Charlie Hunter played bass AND guitar AT THE SAME MUTHAFUCKIN TIME!!! I also loved the Roberta Flack cover "Feel Like Makin Love", and for those of you who wanna hear what music sounded like in the "good ol' days", listen to "Greatdayndamornin". :o

Seriously, this is one of THE greatest albums EVER made, and I'm basing that on the sonic aspect. I won't even start in on the man's singing (or should that be SANGIN?!).

P.S. I wonder if a certain somebody is willing to stop talking to that soul sista on the streets of 52 for just a minute to give his insight on an album he woulda called "Vicarous Fantasy". ;-)
21879, RE: The Miseducation of Some Okayplayers.....
Posted by Shimmy, Wed Aug-16-00 09:20 AM
It was an album made for people who love music to death.

I remember listening to Lovesexy years ago and just getting off on the fact that I could hear something new everytime. I find Voodoo to be on that level .Complex and intricate--heck even meaty--which usually translates into something the masses won't understand.

Too bad for them

Shim

If you're happy with nothin', you'll be so very happy with me -----Ben Harper
21880, D' s gifted and
Posted by JustLisa, Wed Aug-16-00 07:15 AM
just wanna sing, sing his song (c) The Line. BUT, I could see him getting tired of the rigormarole (sp?). The music business if fickle. I definitely believe that even if he weren't in the spotlight, he'd HAVE TO continue to make important music, it's all in him.

VIVA LA D'!

21881, with all lies put aside
Posted by Aja, Wed Aug-16-00 09:20 AM

i have to admit i've asked myself that same question-the boy is a great musician, and the untitled video was good promo for him-but maybe too good-while voodoo is a good album, we don't know for sure of how many folks that bought voodoo off of the basis of the video wound up sincerely loving the music off of the album-or just gave it a couple of listens and let it collect dust on their shelves (or look at the pictures in the cd booklet more than they listen to the album)

that one video (as well as many of his pictures for various printed media that he's been featured in) have helped and hurt him in a sense

check out http://www.recordkingdom.com

(this is kinda nice, tank!)

21882, RE: Will D'angelo last or just be a Man of the moment?
Posted by We_B_Dat, Wed Aug-16-00 09:39 AM
D'angelo is, overall, a brotha with skills. His first album just gave him a runway so that Voodoo could just take off. And even with artist like R. Kelly keepin the general public in a "Let me sex you..." headlock, it's nice to know that D'angelo can send the same message without me felling...dirty (for lack of a better word) Voodoo is just another chapter in the book of D. I'm gonna look forward to growin' old and buying the D'angelo box set talkin 'bout, "Now this here was the Al Green of my generation, ya'll young meeks don't know nothin 'bout dis here!"
21883, RE: Will D'angelo last or just be a Man of the moment?
Posted by We_B_Dat, Wed Aug-16-00 09:41 AM
Hey ya'll. This is my first time postin'. D'angelo is, overall, a brotha with skills. His first album just gave him a runway so that Voodoo could just take off. And even with artist like R. Kelly keepin the general public in a "Let me sex you..." headlock, it's nice to know that D'angelo can send the same message without me felling...dirty (for lack of a better word) Voodoo is just another chapter in the book of D. I'm gonna look forward to growin' old and buying the D'angelo box set talkin 'bout, "Now this here was the Al Green of my generation, ya'll young meeks don't know nothin 'bout dis here!"

21884, As far as...
Posted by guest, Wed Aug-16-00 10:47 AM
those people that just bought the album because of the video, it's their loss that they can't understand classic music when they hear it, but they've already invested their 15 bucks or whatever towards buying it, which has helped finance our modern soul messiah. As long as that's helping D', then who cares? Screw the people that don't understand it! They're already lost anyway! Although I could have done without seeing his naked ass on MTV every time I turned it on, that was a genius career move, because it got his name out a little. It definitely helped sell him some records, and that's not selling out one bit! He's a real person that needs to make his doe, too! But for people like me who actually understand and appreciate the music, he's moving mountains, and opening doors for other like-minded artist to get their names out. So I'm showing my D' appreciation, and I'm looking forward to that box set when I'm all old, telling my grand kids that music just ain't what it used to be anymore! Peace, Love, and SOUL!!!
-B

vudu's signature begins here:
------------------------------
"Ignore the ignorant!" Probably said before, but until I'm corrected, -me!

"Bilal will be an Okayartist!" -me

"to aim
is to take oneself too seriously
by focusing without instead of within

re arrange and re member

aim...i am

the right letters are there
it's the wrong composition"
-Saul Williams

21885, RE: As far as...
Posted by Dimples, Wed Aug-16-00 11:33 AM
You express a powerful opinion but I think to D, he's just doing what he loves most and that's making music. When you think about it, by D using his sexuality he could actually be trying to use that to prove his point, Sex sells. And your right, who cares as long as he's making ends meets but remember the saying "what goes up....must come down." Trust me, there are only a good had full of us that are feeling D as a person on a whole, regardless of the sexuality. Girls that thought he was this boring nigga that sat behind a piano all day are now turning into butter and want to have his kids, (didn't you see his guest book?) well
you be the judge. He'll remain a legend to US who are intellects and opened minded (although I was fascinated by his video) but to the other people, they just want to see how much more naked he can get. Think about it.
21886, Excuse you
Posted by crgclark, Wed Aug-16-00 02:32 PM
Listen. Anyone who likes D' should've bought the album long before they saw the video. Point being, D's music stands on its own two legs. Point #2, that video is to show D' bearing his soul. It wasn't some stupid plot to sell records. I loved the video from the start because instead of booty dancers and fancy cars D' broke it down to the essence, just him and the music. That's what the whole album is about! "Voodoo" is the most raw and damn funky album made in recent history. Respect true or artistry.

21887, RE: Excuse you
Posted by guest, Thu Aug-17-00 01:32 PM
I totally agree with you. And as for the video, one of the things many men do not realize is that I think that D may have had them in mind when he did it. He appears with his beautiful self, sings his ass off, and then it's over....I read this as Okay now go get your groove on with your woman!!!
D has been out of the limelight for 5 years, and many have anticipated Voodoo for a long time. Yep, I think he's got what it takes to be around for a long time to come!
21888, RE: Will D'angelo last or just be a Man of the moment?
Posted by Imfntubby, Wed Aug-16-00 02:37 PM
d' is the next marvin gaye.
Imfntubby

http://www.recordkingdom.com

Top Ten Worst MC's
10.Eminem
9.Puffy
8.Jay-z
7.Will Smith
6.Nas(after Illmatic)
5.Dr. Dre
4.LL Cool J(recent ish)
3.Cash Money(all)
2.No Limit(all)
1.Ruff Ryders(Especially DMX)
21889, Here's hopin'....
Posted by guest, Wed Aug-16-00 03:37 PM
....dude don't make us wait another 5 years for another album for starters! He earned my utmost respect in doinit the first time around, but that should suffice! Word!

21890, RE: Will D'angelo last or just be a Man of the moment?
Posted by guest, Wed Aug-16-00 03:39 PM
I got the record before I saw the video. I love the music because each time I play it, I hear something new and it has opened me to other artists that I would not have considered buying.

He can put his clothes back on now, because if he doesn't then the 'video' is all that will be expected from him. The music and talent can stand alone. I hope he doesn't go on hiatus again.

ATL: Episode II, Sloppy Seconds!
21891, RE: Will D'angelo last or just be a Man of the moment?
Posted by Dimples, Wed Aug-16-00 03:58 PM
Girl thank you! for your honest opinion. That is a good point you made but you were a lucky one you knew a head of time. The only messed up thing is I have gotten tons of different opinions and alot of girls (who are a majority of his buyers) did go get the album after the video and complained that it was not like "brown sugar" but then again their stupid because just by hearing track 12
and seeing the video they should know that D is on a different level, for me though like I said was the anticipation and seeing the major 280 he made by all of a sudden revealing the physical sensuality to go with his song. It was enticing.

21892, RE: Will D'angelo last or just be a Man of the moment?
Posted by guest, Wed Aug-16-00 05:02 PM
Hey Dimples, the only thing the video did for me was crave a cigarette when I finally watched it. Why sell yourself short? Musically, he has the foundation.

The live show in Houston..filled me up. It felt like a trance. He calls up a myriad of emotions. The music is powerful live, from the first note to the last key. When something hits you like that, then it is worth the money to see it one more time.
21893, RE: Will D'angelo last or just be a Man of the moment?
Posted by guest, Wed Aug-16-00 04:41 PM
I called in late to work just so I could buy the CD (Voodoo). I, too, do not go all out for musicians, but this was a must. I didn't get a chance to see "Untitled" until almost a month after I bought the album (cable is not a necessity). I listened to the album all night and went back that weekend and bought the tape just so I could listen to it in the car. Blew me away. The more I listen to his music, the more I get carried away. My love for D' has been soo contagious, my co-workers are now D'Angelo fans. I had to D'program them because of the video.

Brown Sugar was ground-breaking, but Voodoo is too funky for words. I still jam Brown Sugar, even when I go to my favorite billiard to whoop some ass (preferably Smooth). I am the reason they have Brown Sugar in the jukebox and now Voodoo.

Regardless if D' puts the clothes on, takes them off, gains weight, or gets smaller, I will continue to support him and his music. As for if I feel he will last, I could care less if the public keeps on accepting him. I followed Prince from the beginning and still do, I'll do the same with D'Angelo. True artists are hard to find. Artists who are true to their craft are even harder.

21894, I feel you on that one. . .
Posted by JustLisa, Wed Aug-16-00 04:52 PM
"I had to D'program them because of the video".

The first thing I tell people that ask about that video (who haven't a clue) is "he was a child prodigy".

21895, hey you
Posted by Rozjack, Wed Aug-16-00 04:54 PM
I'm going to email you when i get home. I'm at work right now.

10) Teena Marie
9) R. Kelly
8) Babyface
6) Erykah Badu
4) Lauryn Hill
3) Maxwell
2) Sade

--Erykah Badu

--me

"Music. It's in me."
--me

--me

21896, I just responded to yours
Posted by JustLisa, Wed Aug-16-00 05:05 PM
I'll be asleep by the time u get home. Hit me up tomorrow.

21897, they dont recognize it
Posted by guest, Thu Aug-17-00 11:43 AM
When D first came out ...no one was prepared...and five years later...people were still not prepared...and altho they jumped on the bandwagon, many of these new fans have no idea of how privledged they are to have been alive and young when this voodoo album dropped. I think some people need a kick in the ass and the video provided that for them, and now they will seek out Voodoo type material from now on. Others...do not recognize soul if it landed on them. Some people just dont have it in them. My biggest regret about being born in the age that i was born in (21)is that i missed out on marvin, on stevie, on holliday, on dotson, etc...to be alive at that time period when the music was fresh is something that our parents will likely never forget. I can picture our kids 25 30 years down the line...hearing an ol D tune..and feeling the same way i do now....like damn..wish i was alive then.
21898, I wasn't totally convinced...
Posted by the2ndsurvivor, Thu Aug-17-00 12:29 PM
until I heard what he did with "She's Always in My Hair." Listening to that song convinced me that D was destined to be a legend and that he was going to be around for a while. C'mon, he writes, he plays unbelievably well, he sings his ass off, he can totally recreate his sound w/o sounding contrived...he ain't goin nowhere. He'll always have at least one fan (me!!) if he continues to stay true to the music and not to the dollar.

CELEBRATING AUGUST AS TOP TEN MONTH

Top 10 Ways I like to get drunk:
10)Guiness Beer
9) Purple Hooters
8) shots of Goldschlager
7) Jello Shots
6) Sharkbites
5) Bacardi and anything
4) My buddy's specially flavored Everclear party punch
3) Fruit marinated for a week in my buddy's specially flavored Everclear party punch
2) Absolut Mandarin on ice w/ a splash of OJ
1) Tom Collins

WORDS OF WISDOM:

"Beer before liquor, never been sicker. Liquor before beer, in the clear."---Keith's Philosophies on Life

"It ain't about the muscles if you know how to use the knuckles."---my little sister

"Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when
someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown BUT, it only takes
4 muscles to extend your arm and
bitch-slap the fool upside the head..."---anonymous