Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: heres how I feel about dead prez
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=20882&mesg_id=20955
20955, RE: heres how I feel about dead prez
Posted by spirit, Fri Oct-20-00 04:21 PM
>The brothers definitely raise good points
>in their music about how
>messed up the system is.
>
>
>At the same time, "the system"
>has become a conditioned cop
>out, everything isnt messed up
>due to the evil of
>"the white man". You
>gotta empower yourselves and not
>dwell on the negative.

This doesn't apply to dead prez at all. They are some of the most politically active emcees out there (them and their folks were trying to open a charter school in Brooklyn last time I checked and a food co-op in FL)

>Of course there are some
>who need to hear the
>message who are stuck on
>sleep, chances are though the
>ones who wind up receiving
>it already know what time
>it is though.

I doubt it. When they opened for D'Angelo, I'm pretty sure everyone in the crowd wasn't hip to guerilla warfare tactics, etc. There are plenty of people who know nothing about what these cats are speaking on. The shows are mainly how they catch new ears.

For
>example you dont vote who
>are you to complain about
>the president not doing shit?

Is this directed at dead prez?

>Also, with all of the anti
>"white man making money off
>of us" messages in their
>music, look at them being
>signed to loud records, rifkind
>probly has love for them,

They have said explicitly that Rifkind does NOT have love for them. Also, Rifkind does not personally sign acts to Loud, to my knowledge.

>but the higher ups really
>wont promote them all that
>strong because they arent what
>sells and what will make
>the company money

If Rifkind had 'love for them' that would be the main support they need...they have gone on record, at least in a Stress mag interview I read, as saying that Rifkind did NOT support their project.

>, I think
>it was jefflee that said
>real revolutionaries dont get record
>contracts.

Malcolm X and numerous Black Panthers have had speeches on vinyl. WHile I'm sure those weren't traditional record contracts, Malcolm didn't own a record pressing plant. Does his presence on vinyl devlaue his revolutionary stance?

> Public Enemy was
>much more effective, not to
>mention innovative.

Are they not "real revolutionaries" because they had record contracts? Actually, are dead prez more revolutionary because they don't just rap about social change on record, but are social activists on a daily basis? (to the point where Talib described them as activists first and artists second?).

> But I
>do feel the message of
>dead prez nonetheless, burning flags?
>thats a little abrasive but
>theyre free to do what
>they want, its their show

why is burning a flag more abrasive than saying "fuck the police" (as they often do at shows) OR "they might as well have died when they registered" (or something to that effect) when Stic.man (?) refers to his relatives in the military? Did you even listen to the dead prez record? If you did, you'd know that flag burning is hardly the most abrasive of their expressions.

Spread love,

Spirit

http://www.theamphibians.com

Nine out of 10 dentists, and Lil Wayne, recommend http://www.theamphibians.com after flossing.

AIM: alanpage7

"There's some really angry techno out there." - some guy on one of those MTV2 "commercials"