Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectheres how I feel about dead prez
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=20882&mesg_id=20954
20954, heres how I feel about dead prez
Posted by atruhead, Thu Oct-12-00 06:15 AM
The brothers definitely raise good points in their music about how messed up the system is.

At the same time, "the system" has become a conditioned cop out, everything isnt messed up due to the evil of "the white man". You gotta empower yourselves and not dwell on the negative. Of course there are some who need to hear the message who are stuck on sleep, chances are though the ones who wind up receiving it already know what time it is though. For example you dont vote who are you to complain about the president not doing shit?

Also, with all of the anti "white man making money off of us" messages in their music, look at them being signed to loud records, rifkind probly has love for them, but the higher ups really wont promote them all that strong because they arent what sells and what will make the company money, I think it was jefflee that said real revolutionaries dont get record contracts. Public Enemy was much more effective, not to mention innovative. But I do feel the message of dead prez nonetheless, burning flags? thats a little abrasive but theyre free to do what they want, its their show

Okayplayer.com: Its the Jazz, man

"what does she do? work for her father or something?"- anonymous referring to anonymous 2

October is Okaytour Artist quotes

"I never would, play myself out like that but umm...I guess thats where you at"- SV

"A lotta cats who buy records is straight broke/but my language universal they be recitin my quotes"- Kweli

"Hard to be a spiritual being when shit is shakin what you believe in"- Kweli

"Okayplayer.com where you could hit me at, e me and when Im in your town come see me"- Thought

"This is what Im spittin, bout to make a killin offa illin offa hydro/put it on a rapper like he workin out tae bo"- Rah Digga