Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectWTF is up with Dead Prez....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=20882
20882, WTF is up with Dead Prez....
Posted by guest, Mon Oct-09-00 10:54 AM
After seeing that pic in the tour section of the site with dead prez burning the American Flag just made my speechless!!! I can not beleive The Roots would let that happen on the same stage that they are performing on. I know they have political beleives that I respect BUT I never knew that they were on a level as to let a burning of the FLAG!!!

Now I respect Dead Prez BUT choose not to be a fan cause of certain reasons BUT I do respect their beleives and give them credit as musicians and activist BUT don't know whats going through there heads when they get on stage and burn my/our national flag.

I'm really shocked right now, and don't know what else to say besides that I'm really disapointed and lost as an okayplayer.

can someone help me understand why??

pz,
netbomber

20883, Don't like America? Move!
Posted by guest, Mon Oct-09-00 11:05 AM
If they don't like America, tell them to move to the mideast and see how long they last. They'll be dodging rocks and bullets just like everyone else. They should feel priveledged to be here. These people who are so-called activists and anti-america sure love getting paid those american dollars though. Then they love the US. Also, why is their name dead prez? For the dead presidents they get paid? Then they burn a flag that Americans have gone to war and died for so that they have the freedom to do ignorant shit like that. It's really pointless. I'm not going to get all fired up because Dead Prez isn't the first or last to burn the american flag. America isn't perfect, but it is still the best country in the world. Whether you want to admit it or not. But if these people hate america, just leave, then you'll be happy and won't need to burn flags. Problem solved. But, I wonder why they are staying? Oh that's right, for the dead presidents.
20884, why
Posted by Mosaic, Mon Oct-09-00 11:10 AM
should people leave a country that THEIR ancestors built on THEIR backs?

plus, you're giving a damn robot answer without thinking about things...

peace,
mosaic
AIM: TreisDeuce
http://www.recordkingdom.com
http://www.speaktruthtopower.com
insomniac cruciverbalist/phx
vivrance two thousand: get jawned with logic
20885, RE: why
Posted by guest, Mon Oct-09-00 11:17 AM
Leaving will be more effective than burning a piece of cloth with some colors on it. What are they trying to prove? They aren't doing anything but trying to get notoriety and some heads to turn. I could care less what some disgruntled rappers do in their spare time. I just thought its interesting that people hate a country and then live there and burn the national flag. Its pretty ridiculous when you think about it.
20886, RE: why
Posted by sjb, Mon Oct-09-00 01:54 PM
Leaving will be more effective?

They are looking for change, and leaving won't do a damn thing.

"Deuce-One, Ball for fifty, like Larry Hughes"
-B. Sigel
20887, RE: why
Posted by Aquarian, Tue Oct-10-00 08:57 AM
You are wrong about them doing it to get attention, because what they say will never be popular in a country filled with the masses that have been miseducated to think like you. They do it because they really mean it. I can understand because everything that our constitution is supposed to stand for was contradicted and mainly by the treatment given to Africans in America. Sure money says :"In God We Trust", and I trust that the love of money is the root of all evil, and the foundations of this country being based on unfunded slave labor is a testimony to this Truth. That's why they burn the flag and that's why we staying!!

"Dear God, wherever You are, could You please hook me up?" - Madonna in The Next Best Thing
20888, That's Right
Posted by guest, Thu Oct-12-00 08:06 AM
:7
20889, Darlink!
Posted by Tank, Wed Oct-18-00 05:43 AM
>plus, you're giving a damn robot
>answer without thinking about things...

It was a robot question...

Peace,

TankdotcomGreen

http://www.recordkingdom.com aka www.vinylnerdsarehappy.com

http://www.tankgreen.com - Coming to a browser near you soon...
20890, Why should we leave
Posted by analog2digital, Mon Oct-09-00 11:32 AM
Yeah, I said "we". DP speaks for a lot of us.

Why should we leave if we're not the ones causing the problem? Or if we truly believe that we are being victimized? Flag burning is a political statement, similar to flag raising, such as the flag in front of the statehouse in SC. We're to stop complaining and get outta the country simply because we don't like some things-a lot of things-going on in this country? Please. I've been hearing that same tired southern white boy remedy for dang near ten years now. That is so small minded. "Go to another country. See how you like it there!" To quote Mr. Rock, "Cut the fu#$@n crap". A lot of the "problems" you see abroad are nothing more than the effects of a pillaging, raping, exploiting Europe, mother of Amerikkka.
And yes, dead prez is reaping soooo much financial success. I know I'm tired of seeing them on TV and hearing them on radio. Its all a matter of what that flag represents to you.

Don't everybody like the smell of gasoline?

Mah top MCs (in no particular order). "We dare you to disagree"

Ras Eminem Common Mos Talib Jay-Z
L Boogie Andre

20891, RE: Why should we leave
Posted by guest, Mon Oct-09-00 11:43 AM
Ok, I'm not going to waste time arguing on an internet message board. America is the best and you know it. Name a country that is better. Stop saying "we" and calling people you don't know white boy country rednecks or whatever you said. You think that posting on here is changing america, think again. Stop picking on the new guys too, you're not as smart as you think you are.
20892, WEWEWEWEWE
Posted by analog2digital, Mon Oct-09-00 12:00 PM
America is the most prosperous nation in the history of nations. I'll give you that much. This place is very comfortable. But why do me and mine still feel so damn invisible?

Stop saying "we" and calling people you don't know white boy country rednecks or whatever you said.

I never said that you were a white boy. I've just heard A LOT of misinformed/ignorant rednecks say that. For that matter I've heard A LOT of Duke educated, well informed, aristocrats spew that nonsense as well. For that matter, I've heard a lot of smart black folk come with your prescription as well. Perhaps I should have been more specific?

You think that posting on here is changing america, think again.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA. Now I know we got a little clout with the Washington Post (go Ang) but come now, changing Amerikkka? That's for people like OutKast. At best, I'm just trying to make you mad ©Mase.

Stop picking on the new guys too, you're not as smart as you think you are.

Looky here, youngun. No one is "picking" on your green arse. Does someone have an intellect complex? Anyways, what else is new? I'm not as free as I think I am either.

"And when we on the stage we scream, 'Don't everybody like the smell of gasoline?..." OutKast

Mah top MCs (in no particular order). "We dare you to disagree"

Ras Eminem Common Mos Talib Jay-Z
L Boogie Andre

20893, hi.
Posted by illnes, Mon Oct-09-00 01:49 PM
I would recommend Spain if u wish to leave America for a "better place". Can you tell me why America is better than Spain?

Peace,
Illnes

"By choice/ We chose to play Sega Saturn at the roundtable/ of the timetraveling rolls royce"

- Silver Synth,Analog Bros.

20894, Canada, for starters.
Posted by Battousai, Mon Oct-09-00 08:36 PM
Japan.
Spain.
The Netherlands.
Finland.
Costa Rica.

Hell, Mongolia on a bad day is more civilized than the States. :P

----------------------------------------
Densetsu no hitokiri, Himura Battousai.

"You recognize this technique?"
"Huh? The Five Elements!"
"YOU REMEMBER!"

--"Mystery of Chess Boxing"

http://welcome.to/crunchyfrog/
20895, RE: Why should we leave
Posted by Shimmy, Tue Oct-10-00 07:45 AM
Errrrr......Canada!!

Seriously though..if you are gonna come on strong and all patriotic like--you need to stand behind your message.

Burning the flag causes an emotional response for you.Obviously that symbol represents the positive connection you have to your country.

For others that flag represents a legacy of political tyranny(oops, did I say that out loud??).

I would suggest that people that burn the flag love this place as much as you--and this passion is what drives them to make it a better place.

Shimmy

20896, when u heard DP on the radio?
Posted by acidtabs, Wed Oct-11-00 05:51 PM
i never heard that ish

20897, To quote Big Rude
Posted by urbgriot, Wed Oct-11-00 07:21 AM
""""" Then you probaly a cracker, or a nigga that thinks he a cracker, or just don't understand....."""""
20898, check it.....
Posted by okaymattd, Tue Oct-17-00 11:41 AM
you gotta have the eyes open, yo just, you gotta realize how the men feel, their people are held down, why do you think the majority of hte races in the ghetto are minorities? you and me got ish easy, look at it from their p.o.v. the men are stating that the system is effed cause no one is lettin the black person, latino person up. the system is just kickin em in the ribs, peace.

Proud member of S.P.A.S.(skinny peeps are sexy) BEeeeeeeATCH!!!!!!

M.W.S. intern, I AM PLATINUM PIMPIN, uh.... check that okayplayer fund y'all, hit me on AIM, okaymattd, peace.
20899, RE: Don't like America? Move!
Posted by PAP, Tue Oct-17-00 04:27 PM
Why u give a fuck about a country that doesn´t give a fuck about you?
20900, RE: Don't like America? Move!
Posted by guest, Fri Oct-20-00 08:08 AM
Where???? america has destroyed every place in the world so you feel you have to stay here....Damn I thought that was obvious
20901, IF YOU CANt OR REFUSE HEAR THE MESSAGE
Posted by Dreadmedia, Mon Oct-09-00 11:39 AM
Tune the fuck out change the fuckin channel

And go pick another culture to vulture and rebel with

but dont ask for no aplogies for the truth

If there is no struggle there is no progress Those who profess to favor freedom yet deprecate agitation are men who want the crops without plowing up the ground they want the rain without the thunder and lighting power concedes nothing without demand it never has and it never will
- Fredrick Douglas

http://www.euphon.com/dreadmedia

http://www.ventmag.com
20902, It's a flag get over it........
Posted by guest, Mon Oct-09-00 11:51 AM
A piece of cloth nothing more. Why are ya so obessed wit it ? Hell I would burn the Union Jack without a second thought because of my political beliefs. I won't even salute the thing or stand for the national anthem why should I ??? and why should Dead Prez have any respect for it ????
And wit your civil rights record this is not the best country in the world !!-not that Britain is I just wanna make that clear !!

"The board that okayplays together/stays together"-Whizdumb

"Feed you with my turquoise spoon"-WISDOMQUEST88

******************:-)*******************
HELP FREE A INNOCENT MAN:

http://www.freepeltier.org
and sign your name and grant tha gift of freedom :
http://www.petitiononline.com/Clemency/petition.html

Thank U !! and please spread the word of hope .. :-)
20903, RE: It's a flag get over it........
Posted by guest, Mon Oct-09-00 06:59 PM
Now I never i said I worshiped the flag or I was obsest with it, it's just that I CHOOSE to live here so I have pride. I also know my history and know what that flag represents and what it's been through. It's the same flag that fought for it's independence and beat those damm nazi's in WWII, and it's being burned. U gotta understand where I'm coming from??

pz,
netbomber

"I battle it all/Like I don't have it all"-Del
20904, RE: It's a flag get over it........
Posted by spirit, Mon Oct-09-00 08:08 PM
You talk about the history of the American flag, but a lot of atrocities were committed under that flag, domestically and worldwide. We're standing knee deep in the blood of indigenous people and a lot of the killing took place under the flag you salute to.

It's like this, my friend, America is not perfect. To the cat who says it's the best country, that depends on what you look for in a country and what part of THIS country you live in. I would rather living in a Jamaican beach house than in the Queensbridge projects, so it's all relative.

For folks that tell political dissidents to leave America if they want to burn the flag, READ THE CONSTITUTION. Check out that 1st Amendment, geniuses. We respect political speech here whether we agree or not.

Spread love,

Spirit

http://www.theamphibians.com

Nine out of 10 dentists, and Lil Wayne, recommend http://www.theamphibians.com after flossing.

AIM: alanpage7

this month's "wow, that was kind of cool" movie is "smilia's sense of smell" (it's not new, but I caught the end of it at 3 in the morning and it looked pretty dope, like a female version of "Usual Suspects", kind of, not really, sorta)
20905, RE: WTF is up with Dead Prez....
Posted by janey, Mon Oct-09-00 12:07 PM
It's a good thing that you love your country. I'm willing to bet, too, that one of the things you value most highly about this country is the protections that are offered to political speech. The right to have a single voice heard, the right to bring about political change. All of these things are included in the pride that we can take in this country. Because no matter how well any of us love this country, we all can see many things that need to be changed. Things like poverty, homelessness, racism, police brutality, etc., and those are the kinds of things that can be changed through a variety of means.

One of those means is political expression -- one of the hallmarks of American freedoms. So you might disagree with the way that the message is presented, but I'll bet that if you sit down and really think it through, the very fact that we have the right to express political ideas through such means as speech and marching and protesting and, for example, burning flags, is what you love about this country.

So I'm sure that you believe that there are things that could be changed about the United States. I'm sure that you believe that individuals can make a difference, sometimes through art, sometimes through music and sometimes through startling political expression. That's why I'm sure that ultimately you agree with their right to burn a flag as a means of political expression, even if you wouldn't do it yourself.

And I'm also willing to bet that most people wouldn't go to the trouble of political expression through art or music if they didn't really care a lot about the country whose policies they would like to reform.

Typically, the message that is being sent in any flag burning is this: We may as well burn the flag because the virtues for which the flag stands have been so deeply undermined.

It doesn't mean "down with America," it means "America needs to change" or "America needs to realize her vision." And that's a message I think we can all get behind.

Peace.

20906, okayplayer is extremely fortunate
Posted by UrbanCowgRRL, Mon Oct-09-00 04:41 PM
to have such an elegant voice of reason..janey..i will forever read ure posts...thank you

Much love,
Kyle

Surgeon General- DPS...drunk posters society...y'all ain't ready!?!? We soldiers...don't be scurrrrrred

vinyl junkies/cd confitionados...go here
http://www.recordkingdom.com

"i always tell people that fame is
nothing but a good publicist, while
talent is a genuine article..." ~ Pozi
20907, Wow...
Posted by thebigfunk, Mon Oct-09-00 05:48 PM
Shit, that was a good post. I don't think I could've done nearly as good a job on that... and I would've spent a lot of time trying. Peeps like you keep my reading (and posting to) the boards. Thanks.

-thebigfunk

"Genuine beauty is always quite alarming." - 'The Secret History'

"Sometimes TTD comes out looking like a poet laureate." - jefleejohnson

20908, Thanx...
Posted by guest, Mon Oct-09-00 06:53 PM
Now if a persons(or DP's) thoughts and intensions behind flag burning are for a positive change in this country because you have hope for one, then I'm all for it. BUT I am still not going to participate in it or like to see it happen BUT I do understand were your coming from, cause this country is full of shit w/politics and racism BUT I still feel weird about it and don't like it BUT now I can respect people's thoughts about it and not let it bother me that much.

So bascally thanx for taking the time to explain(in great detail)about why activists are dooin this. It's good to see heads like you on here, so ?'s like this can be heard.

Ignore all the negativity heads on this thread cause they didn't understand my initial post....

pz,
netbomber

20909, RE: WTF is up with Dead Prez....
Posted by emceesquared, Mon Oct-09-00 03:26 PM
Jesus h christ. Dead Prez is allowed to have their views and to express them by burning the flag... you don't have to listen if you don't want to. Plus I think they're actually right -- sure, America is probably better than most (maybe even all) the other countries, but there's a lot of fucked up shit in this country. DP is burning the flag of the same nation that wrote a clause INTO THE FUCKING CONSTITUTION which protected slavery as a fundamental part of the country. The same nation that fought a Civil War to end slavery because half the country thought it was something worth fighting a war to keep. The same nation that had maybe five minutes of actual freedom for black people during reconstruction, after which segregation and bullshit jim crow laws set in to institute pseudo-slavery... And all that's just the shit the US has done against black people. We also imprisoned third and fourth generation Japanese-Americans in fucking concentration camps in wwii just because they were japanese. We also raped and murdered hundred of thousands (millions?) of native americans for our own imperialist greed. Even today we have weak-ass laws about sweatshop labor -- we let companies like nike and fucking kathie lee gifford use slave labor in asia, and we let other companies use almost-slave labor on the fucking lower east side of NYC, employing little underage girls to sew shoes and shirts for a few cents a day if that much. Why? Because it's good for the aristocrats who control the economy. Same reason we bombed the fuck out of poor innocent women and children at Hiroshima or Hanoi -- to save face and make rich white governmental aristocrats feel like big boys. I'm not on some revolution now tip, I don't hate our government, I don't think the way to change is in violence (not yet at least)... but clearly the US flag represents a lot of horrible, depraved, sick shit in addition to all the noble and good stuff that's been done in its name. The USA is a mixed bag; so yeah, I guess I'm patriotic because I am proud to live in the country that established democracy for the first modern time, the nation that defeated Nazi germany, and so on... but I also absolutely fucking hate the USA for all the elitist racist etc. shit they've done. I think Dead Prez was reacting to that second part when they burned the flag; I hope they wouldn't say they hate everything the US has done, since obviously the US has done some good stuff... but DP was expressing, I think, a sense of distance and distaste and disapproval towards the dirty side of the nation the flag represents.

And like someone said, you don't have to agree with DP, but don't come in on some ignorant the US is the best nation in the world shit -- because it's probably the best country, but in a lot of ways it's also the worst.

peace

emcee squared

"red wine and sleeping pills help me get back to your arms...it's not like the movies" -- radiohead
20910, also
Posted by emceesquared, Mon Oct-09-00 03:28 PM
Check what janey said (more eloquently and less pissed-off than me)

peace
emcee squared

"red wine and sleeping pills help me get back to your arms...it's not like the movies" -- radiohead
20911, RE: also
Posted by janey, Mon Oct-09-00 03:32 PM
As twistyroad pointed out to me on Friday, sometimes the most eloquent words are the impassioned ones. I read your post and thought that we balanced each other pretty well...

Peace.
20912, Yo
Posted by guest, Thu Oct-12-00 08:18 AM
You did just great. Sometimes, being pissed off helps. Shit, I even learned a few things, thanks for the knowledge.
20913, Eff the Flag!!
Posted by incogx, Mon Oct-09-00 03:38 PM
I'm sorry... but the freedom and principles that the flag and all those little anthems and pledges they made us recite in grade school (brainwashing) do NOT exist in Amerika today. And until that freedom becomes a reality then the flag is just a meaningless peice of cloth.

I don't stand up for the national anthem at ball games, does that make me a barbarian? Don't even answer that... I know I'm not. This country is built on murder and theft and the flag is based on lies.

Guess I'm the bad guy now ...Oh well.

peace,
Cog

If anywon wan reach de badmon --> e me
at (smoovecog@aol.com)

New Black Thoght Jawn (Off the Bangers!)
Copy/paste the link
http://www.tha-real.com/audio_ram/workro
ots.ram

Quotes------

“C. Delores run... C. Delores Tucker/
f**k her f**k her f**k her” ...Nikki
Giovanni

“for u to grow he had to go so what u
stoppin' him for/ not even i can ignore
beong alone... it's hard/ find heaven in
yourself and God” ...Common

“God works in mysterious ways so when he
start/ the job of speakin thru us we be
so sincere with this here/ no drugs or
alchol so i can get the signal clear/ as
day.. put my glock away/ i got a
stronger weapon that never runs out of
ammunition so i'm ready for war.. okay”
...Andre (Kast)

“you said he reached sir/ but he didn't
have no peice sir/ and now he rest in
peace sir/ in the belly of the beast
sir” ...Wyclef Jean

“no not nigga, thUNDERbiTCh, (yes i can
say that, b/c thats wtf i am, and wtf
ull be callin me after petty ppl read
this response~)” ...the honerable Rudie
Virgo making a polite correction & layin
the smack down

“african princess, tell me your
intrests/ wait let me guess, boo u
probably like poetry/ well here’s a lil’
something that i jotted down in case i
saw you around/ so let me take this
opportunity/ would u share a moment with
me over herbal tea?” ...M1

“I don’t playa hate/ i just stay awake”
...Stic Man

20914, RE: Eff the Flag!!
Posted by guest, Mon Oct-09-00 07:09 PM
So your telling me that you have absolutly NO respect for this country and the great things we did for the world as to helping cure sick people and to ending hitler in Germany. Cause if ya didn't know hitler had America maped out to take over slowly during WWII, and thats why we got involved. If we didn't stop it, then america could of have turned into a war zone and many people would have died and many not even born.

But I do respect you if you still don't cause America NOW is really wack and I can't honestly say that I'm all that proud of it at this present time BUT I have hope for a better future!!!

pz,
netbomber

20915, ummmm....
Posted by the_fifth, Mon Oct-09-00 08:02 PM
what history book are you reading? last i heard we got in the war cause japan bombed pearl harbor, not because of the attrocities hitler performed against the jews. if that was the case america was a hypocrite, not the first time or the last, cause we were putting patriotic japanese americans, as in japanese who were rooting for america, in concentration camps, while patriotic germans, germans rooting for hitler, were allowed to walk the streets of america, now why do you think that was so? i hold very little respect for that piece of cloth you refer to as a flag, and the country which it represents, doesn't mean i need to leave, it means this country needs to change, so that the phrase "freedom and liberty for all" is true and real, peace.

AIM: OKPthe fifth
Email: reuschelle@hotmail.com

RIP Alexus (aka erin)
http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/general2/403.html

"besides the charm and the good looks,
it sucks to be me" -ILLWILL

"yep, you're ceritfiably insane" -Lia

"^*&%(^$ ($%##$^&%$" -Lia, see disguised your voice like i said

"I love like yes it's true your honor, i'm the reason she's on life support..." -the shane

"i'm a grown ass man..." -cederic the entertainer

want Okaypoetry with beautiful images as background? go here:
http://welcome.to/OkayPoets

20916, very true
Posted by el_rey, Tue Oct-10-00 05:43 AM
not to mention the fact that there were MANY U.S. business interests (GE) in Germany at the time building tanks and other military ish for the Nazis. GE got a big tax kickback and US money to rebuild their operations after the "allied" army destroyed their (U.S.) property. If you don't believe me, go to the Holocausdt Museum in DC and check for yourself. We also harbored some of the most heinous Nazi war criminals.

Don't believe your history books! Their story is filled with lies and propoganda. Learn about the crimes of this so-called "great" nation and understand why DP did what they did.

love and respect,
El Rey

http://www.mumia2000.org
http://www.mumia.org

not only am I a co-founder of the HBN, I'm a (daily) client. ;-)

WELCOME TO AMERIKKKA WELCOME TO AMERIKKKA
The following is a conversation I overheard while waiting to get served a $1.69 bottle of spring water at the Hudon Valley Mall. It is between a couple of fine, upstanding young Americans (one of whom I was buying the water from):

Mallclerk: ... so he almost strangled her to death
Meathead: Dude, I almost killed MYSELF last weekend!
Mallclerk: Dude, I'm talking about domestic violence ...
Meathead: Dude, I was hanging out with my friends and we were all stoned. Actually I couldn't get stoned so I was pissed and bored so I thought I might kill myself
Mallclerk: Duuuuuuuude ...
Meathead: Yeah, man ...
Mallclerk: Oh man, there's that guy *pointing to random guy in the mall*
Meathead: Yo, what's HIS problem
Mallclerk: I dunno. He's just soooo wierd dude. I don't want to know him at all
Meathead: We should kill him dude
Mallclerk: Why do you think I'm calling the police on him right now, dude?
Meathead: We should still kill him. Killing people is the only solution
Mallclerk: *to me* Here's your water dude. Will that be all? ...

20917, p.s.
Posted by el_rey, Tue Oct-10-00 05:45 AM
I just saw the photo and I think IT'S SOOOOOOOOOOO PHAT THAT THEY DID THAT ISH IN WASHINTON DC!!!!!!

Wow! I can't believe I'm missing this tour ....

love and respect,
El Rey

The following is a conversation I overheard while waiting to get served a $1.69 bottle of spring water at the Hudon Valley Mall. It is between a couple of fine, upstanding young Americans (one of whom I was buying the water from):

Meathead: Dude, I was hanging out with my friends and we were all stoned. Actually I couldn't get stoned so I was pissed and bored so I thought I might kill myself

20918, just a reminder...
Posted by thebigfunk, Tue Oct-10-00 07:06 AM
The ish was a bandana that held the stars and stripes. Wasn't the real thing...

Shit, what am I saying, it was still ill as anything.

-thebigfunk

20919, methinks they're just getting primed ...
Posted by el_rey, Tue Oct-10-00 07:44 AM
what? you didn't know? ...

The OKP Tour is the official jumpoff point for the revolution.

love and respect,
El Rey

20920, RE: Eff the Flag!!
Posted by spirit, Mon Oct-09-00 08:19 PM
>So your telling me that you
>have absolutly NO respect for
>this country and the great
>things we did for the
>world as to helping cure
>sick people and to ending
>hitler in Germany.

Understand that this is the same country that dropped two atomic bombs on Japan, killing countless innocent civilians. Also, there is some historic evidence indicating that the Allies did not bomb railroad lines to concentration cmps they KNEW were executing Jews because they preferred to use their firepower on other targets (??!?!?) which is mind-boggling, but think of the level of Allied intelligence in WWII...it would be unthinkable that they were unaware of the Holocaust occurring and the location of train lines used to transport millions of Jews to their deaths. But why didn't they stop it? Consider that the next time they ask you to sand for the National Anthem at the ballpark (and while you're at it, look at how many Native americans are in the ballpark with you. None, right? Probably due to attempted genocide...).

Cause if
>ya didn't know hitler had
>America maped out to take
>over slowly during WWII, and
>thats why we got involved.

Pearl Harbor was why we got involved, or at least why many mainstream historians say we got involved.

>If we didn't stop it,
>then america could of have
>turned into a war zone
>and many people would have
>died and many not even
>born.

This is same country that enslaved African Americns, raping thousands of female slaves, hung and castrated black men, then burning them alive while having a picnic, et cetera.

Tuskegee experment from 1932-72 (a form of biological warfare on blacks before, during, and long after WWII), infecting blankets with smallpox as biological warfare on Native Americans, and so on...

>But I do respect you if
>you still don't cause America
>NOW is really wack and
>I can't honestly say that
>I'm all that proud of
>it at this present time
>BUT I have hope for
>a better future!!!

I'm sure in 1850 they thought race relations would be swell in 100 years. Wrong they were.

Of course there will be a better future, but mainly because folks like dead prez will fight for it to come into existence.

Spread love,

Spirit

Nine out of 10 dentists, and Lil Wayne, recommend http://www.theamphibians.com after flossing.

this month's "wow, that was kind of cool" movie is "smilia's sense of smell" (it's not new, but I caught the end of it at 3 in the morning and it looked pretty dope, like a female version of "Usual Suspects", kind of, not really, sorta)
20921, excuse all the typos and verb mistakes above n/m
Posted by spirit, Mon Oct-09-00 08:20 PM
Spread love,

Spirit

20922, word
Posted by res1, Tue Oct-10-00 04:57 AM
I think you need to go back into some real history books netbomber and learn what is really going on in the world. The things the flag are supposed to stand for do not exist for many Americans- freedom? not for everyone.. justice? please.. I have no problem with dead prez's flag burning (which was actually not a flag, but a stars and stripes kind of bandana, it wasn't a flag replica)

res->one

20923, Hitler?
Posted by grannie, Tue Oct-10-00 07:30 AM
Time Magazine's Man of the Year;1939. An Amerikkkan publication.

if dead prez wanna burn the flag, i support their reasons for doing it. better that the flag gets raked over hot coals than another black man's body.

any demonstration or socio-poitical protest is gonna have people who don't like what they see.

but until martha stewart publishes "protests and other acts of civil disobedience; a how to book", you're just going to have to deal with not liking it.

Every month is top 10 month for grannie...except this month. THIS month is top 5. got a prollum wit' dat?

top 5 things to say if caught sleeping at your desk.

5. they told me at the blood bank that this would happen.

4. Whew! guess i left i the top off the white-out again. you probably got here just in time! Thanks!

3. i was testing the keyboard for drool resistance.

2.Man! Why did you interrupt me? i'd almost figured out a solution to our biggest problem!

1. ....in Jesus' name, amem.
20924, didn't bother me
Posted by the2ndsurvivor, Mon Oct-09-00 04:22 PM
Until the American flag flies over a land that actually upholds "liberty and justice for all" it will just be a piece of cloth to me.

NC A&T---33
Morgan St.---6

The Aggies whupped that azz!! Aggie Pride!!

How the song really goes:

"You wanna lick, lick, lick, lick me from my head to my toes and you wanna, move from the bed down to the down to the to the floor, you wanna *fill in the blank*, I make it so good you don't wanna leave, but you gotta, know know know know what's what's my fan-ta-ta-sy!!"

"Can you pay my bills, can you pay my college loan bills, can you pay my school book bills, can you pay my parking ticket bills..."

The Moment of Truth: May 12, 2001, 9:00 AM, Greensboro Coliseum
20925, I admit... I was shocked...
Posted by thebigfunk, Mon Oct-09-00 05:57 PM
and i saw it in person last night. But that's the point, isn't it? To be shocked.
Janey above said it very well, but I'd like to add one comment.

The thesis of the Declaration is pretty intense. I just went through an AFAM class dissecting the phrase through all sorts of perspectives. It has a lot of stuff going on inside of it. In the same class, my professor gave a brief lecture on the philosopher Heidegger. Heidegger, in a nutshell, wrote incredible papers on these incredible ideals... and then turned around and joined the Nazi party. A poet, I can't remember who, in talking with him later, said that he'd essentially made the English language worthless. He'd used the most poignant words to get across intensely profound points, yet so easily turned around and betrayed his principles. Therefore, no one could utter those words again and be trusted.

The Declaration did the same thing. And in many ways still does. And the revulsion that one feels when reading about Heidegger's betrayal is parallel to the revulsion one should feel when we recognize what's going in the country.

Revulsion frequently leads to shocking action, something to open up eyes. Flag burning opens eyes symbolically. Because if someone is that impassioned, to burn a flag which supposedly represents such and such an ideal, something must be up.

Dead Prez' flag burning did what it was supposed to do: it got you thinking. In retrospect, if it gets you asking these questions, what does it really mean? Is it really that bad?

-thebigfunk

20926, FUCK THAT FLAG!!!!
Posted by PRYM8, Mon Oct-09-00 07:55 PM
THAT FLAG IS A SYMBOL OF AMERICA. THE VERY SAME AMERICA THAT RAPED WHOLE CIVILIZATIONS. THE VERY SAME AMERICA THAT PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY KILLS WHOLE GENERATIONS. THE VERY SAME AMERICA THAT PLUNDERS AND PILAGES SOCIETIES WHICH DONT MEET THEIR "STANDARDS". THE VERY SAME AMERICA CONTINUES TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF EVERY DISADVANTAGE. THE VERY SAME AMERICA THAT CONTINUES TO LIE TO CHILDREN. THE VERY SAME AMERICA THAT TAKES THOSE CHILDREN FROM THEIR PARENTS. THE VERY SAME AMERICA THAT ARESSTS THOSE CHILDREN AND POINTS THE FINGER BACK AT THE PARENTS. THAT FLAG IS SO MUCH MORE THAN JUST A SYMBOL OF LIBERTY AND JUSTICE. IT'S A SYMBOL OF HATE, BIGOTRY, LIES, AND DEATH. HOW CAN YOU LOVE SOMETHING SO MUCH THAT CAN'T STAND WHO YOU ARE?

20927, Man...
Posted by thebigfunk, Tue Oct-10-00 04:33 AM
The guy asks an honest question, very sincere and very peaceful about it, honestly wanting peeps opinions... and people start jumping down his throat. Think about your response before you write... I'm not dissing the passionate thought behind some of the posts, but you're not really thinking shit through, just mouthing more platitudes (like history teachers in high schools).

It seems to me if one really wants to help a person understand something, they'll take the issue calmly, not in ALL CAPS, not with real sharp (but shaky) words.

If you don't, than I'm apt to think you're just calling attention to yourself...

And we don't want that, do we? :)

-thebigfunk

20928, YOU ARE SOOO RIGHT
Posted by guest, Tue Oct-10-00 06:11 PM
That's what I'm saying! Like the cap deal.

Be like me...PROMOTE OKAYPLAYER.COM in the WORKPLACE! :D
Peace}}i{{Love}}i{{Empathy
20929, sweetness
Posted by nebt_het, Tue Oct-10-00 04:09 AM
you know nebbie loves you dearly!
but its a piece of cloth and i understand its the amerikkkan flag and all but you will have a lot to understand as to why. i will talk to you when i see you!
and think on this they burned crosses on black folks lawns still do in some places aint that a holy emblem?

"the complexity of simplicity" Flo and me

"everything and nothing" Me and Flo

http://www.tankgreen.com
The revolution has tits and clits and drinks earl grey baby!;-)

need some new vinyl?
http://www.recordkingdom.com/

grey effin matter to this guy
http://www.h8r.com h8...h8 on..

Factology -vs- theology
http://www.factology.com

Order of the Ancient Ones
http://egiptianmysteries.com

"i soar up above you oh mortals
for i have kissed the sky as a falcon
i am not for the land i am for the stars...." Prayer of Osiris

20930, a political statement
Posted by fire, Tue Oct-10-00 04:15 AM
one you don't like, but a freedom that is all of OURS nonetheless.

that's a dope photo!

Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

MAKE BLACK MUSIC
"how can a non-musician discuss the future of music from anything other than a consumer point of view?" - prince

Negro PLEASE!

“What else can you rap about but money, sex, murder or pimping? There isn’t a whole lot else going on in our world.” -Ja Rule:'(
“Being a young black man, hip-hop is the only thing you can do to really blow up.” -John Paxton, 19, Morehouse student :-(
"to me, hip-hop is the beginning of all music." - sisQo, 2000:-(

"if you're eating i'm treating"}> - me 2 sule_obasi

& for a limited time-dre/b.o.b

Yeah!Inter-national, undergroundThunder pounds when I stomp the ground
(Woo!) Like a million elephants that sit with back
Orangutan, you can't stop a trainWho want some? Don't come un-pre-pared
I'll be there, but when I leave thereBetter be a household name
Weather man tellin' us it ain't gon' rain
So now we sittin' in a drop-top, soaken' wetIn a silk suit, tryin' not to sweat
Hits I'm a (?) switched out the netBut this'll be the year that we won't forget
One-Nine-Nine-Nine, (?) anything goes, be what 'chu wanna be
Long as you know consequences, to give and for livin' defenses
Too hot, I'm jumpin' jailToo low to dig, I might just touch hell
HOT! Get a life, now they gon' sell
Then I might catch you a spell, look at what came in the mail
A scale and some Arm and Hammer, so grow grid and some baby máma
Black Cadillac and a pack of pampers, stack of question with no answers
Cure for cancer, cure for AIDSMake a nigga wanna stay onto it for days
Get back home, things are wrongWe're not really able to spend all alone
before he left, (?), to a ball of powerThousands of thousands miles per hour
Hello, ghetto, let your brain breath, believe there's always moreAhhhhh!

20931, It was even phatter live... n/m
Posted by thebigfunk, Tue Oct-10-00 04:29 AM
-thebigfunk

20932, If that ain't the truth
Posted by twistyroad, Tue Oct-10-00 04:32 AM

I've never seen a fire burn so bright.

Dale's Philly bound on 10/14/00

**Nothing to see down here, just a sig**

twistyroad@hotmail.com
aol IM name--GoGoTwisty, notic21

Don't visit the boards often? Join the DC Okayplayers egroup so you don't miss shit!

http://www.egroups.com/group/DC-Okayplayers

Representin' The DC Area's
Soul Barry-ans......

Pound for pound, the most issue prone okay ladies and low low okay fellas in the world!

* twistyroad * Difficult * Jamal Yall * honeybun * tumbleweed * shaggy * Wise_Is_The_Name * strezzed * rome * gravity508 * lia * naame * tRoUbLeMnD * sojourner_turner * blacmrkt * k_a_ wright * Arch_Angel * jose3030 * jannaec * d_dog * res1 * stillwaters * v_abstract * spirit * emil * JustLisa * Nayyirah * mrhotep * Phatal * sarita * alyssa * triptych * ghostwriter * binlahab * dj_teddy_bear * essaywhuman * Nostalgic * sporatic * megalomaniac * motherearth92 * nattyhead * shiloh * DaiLa *

20933, word
Posted by res1, Tue Oct-10-00 04:58 AM
that was memorable

res->one

20934, u never seen a fire burn so bright?
Posted by fire, Tue Oct-10-00 05:46 AM
:-(
20935, I'll spit
Posted by twistyroad, Tue Oct-10-00 04:31 AM

on the Amerian flag. I never stood for the pledge of allegiance, and I'll never stand for the Star Spangled Banner.

Like Ras Kass says... Jews don't stand for the Swastika (?) so why do we stand for the American flag?

twistyroad@hotmail.com

Don't visit the boards often? Join the DC Okayplayers egroup so you don't miss shit!

Soul Barry-ans......

Pound for pound, the most issue prone okay ladies and low low okay fellas in the world!

* twistyroad * Difficult * Jamal Yall * honeybun * tumbleweed * shaggy * Wise_Is_The_Name * strezzed * rome * gravity508 * lia * naame * tRoUbLeMnD * sojourner_turner * blacmrkt * k_a_ wright * Arch_Angel * jose3030 * jannaec * d_dog * res1 * stillwaters * v_abstract * spirit * emil * JustLisa * Nayyirah * mrhotep * Phatal * sarita * alyssa * triptych * ghostwriter * binlahab * dj_teddy_bear * essaywhuman * Nostalgic * sporatic * megalomaniac * motherearth92 * nattyhead * shiloh * DaiLa *

20936, u coming to philly?
Posted by fire, Tue Oct-10-00 04:32 AM

Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

MAKE BLACK MUSIC
"how can a non-musician discuss the future of music from anything other than a consumer point of view?" - prince

Negro PLEASE!

“What else can you rap about but money, sex, murder or pimping? There isn’t a whole lot else going on in our world.” -Ja Rule:'(
“Being a young black man, hip-hop is the only thing you can do to really blow up.” -John Paxton, 19, Morehouse student :-(
"to me, hip-hop is the beginning of all music." - sisQo, 2000:-(

"if you're eating i'm treating"}> - me 2 sule_obasi

& for a limited time-dre/b.o.b

Yeah!Inter-national, undergroundThunder pounds when I stomp the ground
(Woo!) Like a million elephants that sit with back
Orangutan, you can't stop a trainWho want some? Don't come un-pre-pared
I'll be there, but when I leave thereBetter be a household name
Weather man tellin' us it ain't gon' rain
So now we sittin' in a drop-top, soaken' wetIn a silk suit, tryin' not to sweat
Hits I'm a (?) switched out the netBut this'll be the year that we won't forget
One-Nine-Nine-Nine, (?) anything goes, be what 'chu wanna be
Long as you know consequences, to give and for livin' defenses
Too hot, I'm jumpin' jailToo low to dig, I might just touch hell
HOT! Get a life, now they gon' sell
Then I might catch you a spell, look at what came in the mail
A scale and some Arm and Hammer, so grow grid and some baby máma
Black Cadillac and a pack of pampers, stack of question with no answers
Cure for cancer, cure for AIDSMake a nigga wanna stay onto it for days
Get back home, things are wrongWe're not really able to spend all alone
before he left, (?), to a ball of powerThousands of thousands miles per hour
Hello, ghetto, let your brain breath, believe there's always moreAhhhhh!

20937, Yes, Saturday
Posted by twistyroad, Tue Oct-10-00 04:53 AM
I have to drop my sister off at the airport. Philly International I think.

twistyroad@hotmail.com

Soul Barry-ans......

20938, RE: Yes, Saturday
Posted by fire, Tue Oct-10-00 04:56 AM
}>

20939, What Was
Posted by twistyroad, Tue Oct-10-00 05:20 AM
the face for? Don't disappear when I get there!

twistyroad@hotmail.com

Soul Barry-ans......

20940, an interesting contradiction
Posted by BooDaah, Tue Oct-10-00 07:22 AM
ya ever notice how folk will be quick to say "eff this country" or "eff this flag" but if you say something bad about their hometown/school/neighborhood/favorite team they'll be ready to fight? it is odd to look at the groups/institutions people will fight for as opposed to others.

pure comedy.

20941, Good point but...
Posted by twistyroad, Tue Oct-10-00 07:38 AM
When people say "eff this country". They're speaking in broads terms. Meaning "eff what this country stands for."

Usually, when people on these boards diss eachother's city. They're not dissing the principles of the city, the laws, but rather the culture. Particularly the slang, fashion and the music. Same with institutions.

Back in highschool, we used to diss other highschools even though I could care less about the public school system. It was more geared towards the students in it.

twistyroad@hotmail.com

Soul Barry-ans......

20942, RE: Activist action!
Posted by Shimmy, Tue Oct-10-00 08:17 AM
Hey it looks like an activist post ended up over here...and won't ya look at all the opinions flying around???
Where are all you little radicals the rest of the week??;-)

shim

20943, RE: an interesting contradiction
Posted by guest, Tue Oct-10-00 09:45 AM
Peace,

I agree with BooDaah. The same Amerikkka that one continue to reside in, make records in, speak their minds in, is the same one that is being dissed time and time again. It's not the same as dissing other cities and states, and cultures (why diss other culture anyway?). The most effective way to teach a people is to educate without ridicule (not getting that confused with educating without being hesitant to speak the truth). Burning the American flag in my opinion is like putting your foot in your mouth. I am not saying in any way that I love or like the system and what is going on here in many areas of this union. What I am saying is that once again, there are more effective ways to teach a people about history and current issues. Hip Hop is a mix of diverse cultures from European to Asian, and many within those cultures are acceptable to the truth of not only what is going on here, however who what is the cause of poverished uneducated and mentally premature effects. I may be drawing this initial post up a little to high, however (I'ma say it!), when you put yourself in front of the world and position yourself to represent a people, you need to make sure that you are representing most if not all of the people that have their ear to the speaker. We can talk all day about our dismay with the public school system, prison system, 'government' and so forth, however, if you can't make a goal to go into those systems and properly aim to teach the truth without calling names and pointing fingers, then the problem goes on. Fact is millions of our youth are still in those systems, and need to see the faces of those who claim to care. Those same people that are being called 'crackers and devils' are the same people that are going to school in Amerikkka studying physics and other sciences, making solar houses and natural gas vehicles, not saying that our beautiful black children are excluded (they are there too). I say all of that to say, what is the more mature approach to a disagreement. Saying 'Suck my di@#' or plainly, I don't agree because..... Is that what we teach our babies to say now?

Peace

Natural Black Earth
Okayplayer Q'nbei ;-)

~ I'm all out of change ~

20944, agreed....
Posted by urbgriot, Wed Oct-11-00 07:29 AM
But people have a direct connection with their neighborhood or city that can not be found when you talk about an nation of people..
20945, my theory on this
Posted by janey, Wed Oct-11-00 02:55 PM
You've seen me say this before, but I think you raise a good point that I wanted to just tag a little onto:

Just to judge from the posts on these boards, which confirms my own personal experience, don't you find that the first reaction that people have to anything that differs from them is fear and mistrust?

When we look at what we identify as "Self" and what we identify as "Other" -- or "Us" and "Them" -- we establish hierarchies of who we are willing to include in our circle. There's a small group of people that we think of as family, then maybe there's friends, and then there are Like Minded Individuals that we might include, and then there are these ever-widening circles in which we include ourselves: Chicagoans, Democrats, Americans, etc.

And we're willing to extend ourselves to the smaller circle, even to our own detriment (I'll give my sister money if she needs it, without asking for it back. Or I'll take a leave of absence from work so I can be with my mother while she's ill.). But I have to draw a line, right, because I can't take a leave of absence from work to nurse the homeless stranger down the street. So I have to classify him as "other" or else I won't have a way to distinguish between who I'm willing to extend myself to and who I'm not.

So there's some comfort in saying "Not like me" because it wraps us in a cocoon beyond which we don't have to reach. And that distinction -- Not Like Me -- then can take on a life of its own. I know that I'm not willing to help those who are Not Like Me, so I can guess that they're not willing to help me, so that makes them, if not my enemy, then at least competitive with me. And then I end up with these hierarchies of

Like Me = comfortable, supportive, good, right
Not Like Me = threatening, competitive, bad, wrong

So the more willing we are to see different as just different, and not wrong or bad, then the less willing we'll be to harm someone just because they are different. But as long as we have these distinctions, we have a method of feeling justified for everything from not helping to actually harming.

Peace.
20946, Why...
Posted by guest, Tue Oct-10-00 06:02 PM
are there so many heads on here screamin(caps), all about eff this and burn that. When all I intended to do was to get some info about y heads do it in the 1st place, and everyone starts judging about how I think or that I worship a flag. I thanx goes to those that responded right(I know who all u are) and I understand alot better now, BUT also still don't think it's right. I know this country is real effed up and always has been BUT the reason why I respect it, is cause even though things are effed up and there's a hell alot of people suffing I still choose to live here, so I have pride. And always will intill I leave. Just how you have pride for your city or neighborhood.

Now I'm not tryin to waste my time and argue cause I NOW I understand why it's done, and it doesn't really bother me that much(especially when it was just a bandanna in the first place), so I respect the idea and thought behind it. So stop responding if your just going to scream about how america is fucked up, cause I already know, I'm not blind and live in a bubble.

pz,
netbomber

20947, Bandannas, etc.
Posted by janey, Wed Oct-11-00 03:27 PM
Some time when you're really bored, dig up and read the oral arguments before the Supreme Court on the most recent flag burning case. There's a book/cd called "May It Please the Court" that has parts of the oral arguments for some important cases, and I'm pretty sure this one's in there.

They're examining a law that criminalizes flag-burning, to see whether it's an unreasonable government restriction on political speech (it is), and part of the concern is whether the statute is overbroad -- like would it criminalize something that it didn't intend to make illegal. There's this whole line of questioning in which Scalia says, "Well, what if it was a shirt with the stars and stripes on it? Would that be illegal? What if it was one of those little paper flags they put on cupcakes? Would that be illegal? What if it's a real flag and I accidentally let it touch the ground? I was told in elementary school that I should burn any flag that touched the ground -- so would that be illegal?"

It's really instructive. Also, it's a real lesson in what really goes on in oral argument. The Supreme Court makes its decisions based on the briefs and the transcript of the case that's been appealled, on the oral arguments made before it, and on discussions among the members of the Court. The discussions are completely private, and you can glean from the opinion what part of the written record may have been influential, but it's the oral argument that really gives you insight into the way the Court thinks.

Peace.
20948, RE: WTF is up with Dead Prez....
Posted by guest, Wed Oct-11-00 09:37 AM
America may be the "best" country (and that IS debatable, depending on one's values), but that does not mean that it is beyond some serious criticism. America's status as the "best" country has a direct relationship with the fact that so many other countries are economically poor. One would have to be pretty willfully ignorant to deny that fact that America has some serious, serious problems, especially when you look at the situation from a global scale. Does this mean that I want to leave or that I want to go and burn a flag? Not necessarily. But I think that there are many mnore important things to get upset about than what Dead Prez does to the US flag.
20949, RE: WTF is up with Dead Prez....
Posted by guest, Wed Oct-11-00 04:22 PM
Well, to you I say this.... "THAT FLAG DON'T MEAN SHIT TO ME"!!!! It's pretty obvious that your on a totally different level then those brothers are and thats not a bad thing but the 1st ammendment- FREEDOM of Speach right.... I'll chat with you a little later about why they did why they did.....
PEACE

ps- "FUCK WHAT YOU HEARD I'M FROM AFRICA"
20950, RE: WTF is up with Dead Prez....
Posted by tinyteanie, Wed Oct-11-00 04:46 PM
The actions of any performers not affiliated with Motive, Okayplayer or the Roots do not reflect the the views of said members nor do the these said members support or not support any of the views or beliefs expressed on stage, off stage, or on buses with chicks and video cameras and shit.
Mu'ua fucka lit the flag , didn't tell us. what we 'spose to do? Fire was out by the time I got down to the stage. Thank God. My Opinion??? Poor taste, but then so is white after labor day, but you don't see only Black folks out in Autumn now do you ?
Tiny
20951, oopps..
Posted by guest, Wed Oct-11-00 07:53 PM
I didn't really mean(in my original post)to say I was disapointed as a Roots fan or that I was up-set w/the tour. It was just my first reaction when I saw it, is to right it in a post, and some words came out wrong.

pz,
netbomber

20952, RE: WTF is up with Dead Prez....
Posted by spirit, Fri Oct-20-00 04:26 PM
>Mu'ua fucka lit the flag ,
>didn't tell us. what
>we 'spose to do?
>Fire was out by the
>time I got down to
>the stage. Thank God.

I'm curious. What would you have done if the fire was still lit when you reached the stage? Spray it with fire extinguisher foam? Force him to put it out?

> My Opinion??? Poor taste,
>but then so is white
>after labor day

Hmmm. Poor taste, how? It was a political statement. Y'all knew what DP stood for before you included them on the tour. usually they burn money, this time they burned a flag. Sure, it might not have been in rehearsal, but if you know dead prez, this fits right in with their message and their music.

Spread love,

Spirit

"There's some really angry techno out there." - some guy on one of those MTV2 "commercials"
20953, RE: WTF is up with Dead Prez....
Posted by guest, Thu Oct-12-00 05:09 AM
this country really hasn't done shit for me. let them burn it - if that's what those cats feel, which they obviously do.

peace,
j
20954, heres how I feel about dead prez
Posted by atruhead, Thu Oct-12-00 06:15 AM
The brothers definitely raise good points in their music about how messed up the system is.

At the same time, "the system" has become a conditioned cop out, everything isnt messed up due to the evil of "the white man". You gotta empower yourselves and not dwell on the negative. Of course there are some who need to hear the message who are stuck on sleep, chances are though the ones who wind up receiving it already know what time it is though. For example you dont vote who are you to complain about the president not doing shit?

Also, with all of the anti "white man making money off of us" messages in their music, look at them being signed to loud records, rifkind probly has love for them, but the higher ups really wont promote them all that strong because they arent what sells and what will make the company money, I think it was jefflee that said real revolutionaries dont get record contracts. Public Enemy was much more effective, not to mention innovative. But I do feel the message of dead prez nonetheless, burning flags? thats a little abrasive but theyre free to do what they want, its their show

Okayplayer.com: Its the Jazz, man

"what does she do? work for her father or something?"- anonymous referring to anonymous 2

October is Okaytour Artist quotes

"I never would, play myself out like that but umm...I guess thats where you at"- SV

"A lotta cats who buy records is straight broke/but my language universal they be recitin my quotes"- Kweli

"Hard to be a spiritual being when shit is shakin what you believe in"- Kweli

"Okayplayer.com where you could hit me at, e me and when Im in your town come see me"- Thought

"This is what Im spittin, bout to make a killin offa illin offa hydro/put it on a rapper like he workin out tae bo"- Rah Digga

20955, RE: heres how I feel about dead prez
Posted by spirit, Fri Oct-20-00 04:21 PM
>The brothers definitely raise good points
>in their music about how
>messed up the system is.
>
>
>At the same time, "the system"
>has become a conditioned cop
>out, everything isnt messed up
>due to the evil of
>"the white man". You
>gotta empower yourselves and not
>dwell on the negative.

This doesn't apply to dead prez at all. They are some of the most politically active emcees out there (them and their folks were trying to open a charter school in Brooklyn last time I checked and a food co-op in FL)

>Of course there are some
>who need to hear the
>message who are stuck on
>sleep, chances are though the
>ones who wind up receiving
>it already know what time
>it is though.

I doubt it. When they opened for D'Angelo, I'm pretty sure everyone in the crowd wasn't hip to guerilla warfare tactics, etc. There are plenty of people who know nothing about what these cats are speaking on. The shows are mainly how they catch new ears.

For
>example you dont vote who
>are you to complain about
>the president not doing shit?

Is this directed at dead prez?

>Also, with all of the anti
>"white man making money off
>of us" messages in their
>music, look at them being
>signed to loud records, rifkind
>probly has love for them,

They have said explicitly that Rifkind does NOT have love for them. Also, Rifkind does not personally sign acts to Loud, to my knowledge.

>but the higher ups really
>wont promote them all that
>strong because they arent what
>sells and what will make
>the company money

If Rifkind had 'love for them' that would be the main support they need...they have gone on record, at least in a Stress mag interview I read, as saying that Rifkind did NOT support their project.

>, I think
>it was jefflee that said
>real revolutionaries dont get record
>contracts.

Malcolm X and numerous Black Panthers have had speeches on vinyl. WHile I'm sure those weren't traditional record contracts, Malcolm didn't own a record pressing plant. Does his presence on vinyl devlaue his revolutionary stance?

> Public Enemy was
>much more effective, not to
>mention innovative.

Are they not "real revolutionaries" because they had record contracts? Actually, are dead prez more revolutionary because they don't just rap about social change on record, but are social activists on a daily basis? (to the point where Talib described them as activists first and artists second?).

> But I
>do feel the message of
>dead prez nonetheless, burning flags?
>thats a little abrasive but
>theyre free to do what
>they want, its their show

why is burning a flag more abrasive than saying "fuck the police" (as they often do at shows) OR "they might as well have died when they registered" (or something to that effect) when Stic.man (?) refers to his relatives in the military? Did you even listen to the dead prez record? If you did, you'd know that flag burning is hardly the most abrasive of their expressions.

Spread love,

Spirit

"There's some really angry techno out there." - some guy on one of those MTV2 "commercials"
20956, RE: WTF is up with Dead Prez....
Posted by guest, Thu Oct-12-00 06:31 AM
I'm proud because my people (African Americans) help build this nation and although they were abused and mistreated, I can still smirk with the knowledge that it obviously could not be done without us or without stealing land from Native American's. America's success is built on the spillage of Native and African blood and that is the real history of the American Flag. It took "us" to help make this nation as great as it is. Some may say, "well if you don't like this land, leave it", but to that I say, I don't HAVE to like everything about it and I still "ain't" going nowhere. I earned my right to stay the moment my ancestors were stolen, bought, sold and enslaved. Today, I earn my right to stay by paying a shit load of taxes for a bunch of bull shit. Did Betsy Ross originally sew that flag for my people? Hell no, so why should I care if someone burns it? There's not a white person in this world who can tell me or my people what we should and should not be appreciative of living here in America because they will NEVER understand. Never gonna get it. I personally would never go as far as burning the flag, but I can damn well understand if Dead Prez decides to do it. It's their personal right, it's their personal opinion and frankly none of our business ;-)
20957, Weeelllll...
Posted by thebigfunk, Thu Oct-12-00 11:25 AM
>It's
>their personal right, it's their
>personal opinion and frankly none
>of our business ;-)

I'd say as listeners of the music (and viewers of the concert) it is our business... I'd say if anyone found the flag-burning either contradictory to Dead Prez' lyrics or just wrong, they would be ignorant to leave that be...

-thebigfunk

20958, Okay, but
Posted by guest, Tue Oct-17-00 10:58 PM
Oh sure...we have the right to bitch about it, but when I say it's none of our business, I mean that, because it's DP's "personal" right to do so, they gonna burn it, burn it and keep burning it, no matter how much we bitch. A Personal right is each individuals own business and we don't have to understand it or relate to it at all. Going to their concerts and buying their music doesn't mean we have the right to tell them if they can burn the flag or not. It doesn't give us the right to chastize them and actually expect them to change for us. Who the hell are we, except individuals like they are. I really believe that DP is too strong in their convictions to disgard their personal right, just because a few (or many) individuals find flag burning offensive. I don't think DP would or should do the Iverson thing, oh no. The only choice we have in the matter is to not go or not listen.

Sorry if this posts a few times - my connection is starting to eff up.
20959, RE: WTF is up with Dead Prez....
Posted by stoves, Thu Oct-12-00 07:45 AM
Get over yourself...
20960, a DIFFERENT light....
Posted by krisAnu, Thu Oct-12-00 09:10 AM
>America is the most prosperous nation in the history of nations. I'll give you that much. This place is very comfortable.

i am not going to get into the political aspect of this discussion, so i apologize for the cats for which this may have no relevence for...

...now i have seen it be mentioned a number of times on this thread about how america is the best nation of the world, and so on and so forth...

...ask your self this question thoroughly in ALL aspects of humanity, and not just in YOUR eyes but in the embodiment of all life itself, because i do know that if my being in this world was as a cow, a pig, or a chicken...then the United States of America is the LAST place i would want to be....

p.E.a.C.E,
krisAnu

"The Greatness of a Nation and its Moral Progress can be judged by the way its Animals are treated." -Gandhi

20961, RE: WTF is up with Dead Prez....
Posted by guest, Mon Oct-16-00 07:00 AM
I totally think Dead Prez needs to question their beliefs and how they choose to express them. I do like the lyrics to a lot of their songs, but I had a problem with their "we don't need education" message at the DC Okayplayer show. Most of the folks in the audience were like 18 yrs. and under. Their minds are very easily corrupted.

I will agree that we may not be getting the very best or most accurate education in our schools, but to say that we don't need education at all is not a good message to advocate. I say, get what you can from schools and continue to expand by doing your own in-depth research on these topics, but don't tell our young people that they don't need education at all.

REN

20962, RE: WTF is up with Dead Prez....
Posted by Mpozi, Sun Oct-22-00 12:02 PM
honestly dude, what the fuck DID you think they were talking about?

would you hate on a israeli arab for burning an israeli flag? a zulu for burning a union jack?

PoZi (;=
20963, RE: WTF is up with Dead Prez....
Posted by guest, Tue Oct-17-00 05:11 PM
Our flag represents the very freedom that is being expressed by the Dead Prez.

The simple fact of the matter is that freedom does entails both sides of the coin, my friend.

It is easy to believe in freedom when its expression is safe, conservative, mainstream, and to our liking.

But in order to have freedom, we must stand up for those who wish to express it in ways that we abhor(as long as noone else is injured).

I, too, agree that we should honor and respect the Stars and Stripes(as well as all those who died to preserve it).

But, I firmly believe in the Dead Prez's freedom to express themselves.
20964, Their eyes are open, that's what.
Posted by robphas, Fri Oct-20-00 04:36 PM
How can you call Amerikkka the best country? In terms of what? In terms of power that we can nuke every other country, even though we signed a treaty banning all nuclear detonations anywhere! In terms of prosperity, where we export the least amount of the world's oil supply yet utilize 85% of it? Shit, my parents aren't even from the U.S., they were brought over on some sponsorship bullshit where americans took in foreign refugees to live with them. In terms of education, when most (I'm surprised it's not all) foreign countries outperform the US in terms of education. In terms of literacy? Please, Cuba has a higher literacy rate, and they're a communist nation. Japan has a higher GNP also.

Do you people like living in this racist nation where murder is legalized through the death penalty. Where judges and lawyers are given some kind of right to play God against possibly innocent minorities? I thought God could only decide when I die, not Americans. But oh yeah, that's right, that's some pagan shit anyways. Amerikkka is trying to tell me how to believe, and basing this country on religion when they (forefathers of this damned nation) don't know the first thing about practicing what they preach. Why put God's name on money? It's the root of all evil! Plus, money is not God's invention.

All I can say is fuck the flag, fuck this nation, I'm not leaving because I was born here, and I want to exercise my right to be here, and be free. Though I'm not free, and probably never will be.

This country is all about money and big business. It's not for the people. Fuck this country for what it's doing to other nations. I'd move back to my country of origin, but shit, Amerikkka fucked it up so bad during the war...it's poverty stricken.

This is a country where hard work and years of labor get you nowhere. Where you have to have a piece of paper just to move up the ladder. The country that still has my father sweeping your halls and cleaning your bathrooms even after 15 years of working in this country. The country that had a Medicare system that refused to pay my mother's hospital bills, she eventually died in the hospital. The country that kept my family in lower class Amerikkka, where my parents dreamed of returning home to visit someday, though we could not afford the travel costs.

My mother dreamed of going back home to see how her family was doing. She came into this country side by side with my father, and she left side by side with him...this time she was in ashes inside an urn, and he was carrying her. This country doesn't give a fuck about anyone if you don't have money to give to them. Fuck this country, and fuck the flag. If I ever burn that shit, I hope I'm doused with gasoline, and it's wrapped around me.

"If you want to change the world, be that change." - Gandhi

"An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind." - Gandhi
20965, RE: WTF is up with Dead Prez....
Posted by BlackAtticus, Sun Oct-22-00 12:16 PM
Itz hard to say you respect their beliefs then turn around and get shocked when they burn the "American Flag". I know U.S. soldiers who've burned that same flag...their reasons are pretty deep too once you get to see it from their point of view.