Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectLast time I checked, Outkast and The Roots
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=20768&mesg_id=20786
20786, Last time I checked, Outkast and The Roots
Posted by MrBastard, Tue Nov-07-00 06:55 AM
...were two entirely different groups that make different types of rap music. This isn't '85, rap is very diverse now, and comparing two groundbreaking groups randomly is a waste of energy. The styles and audiences may overlap a bit, but both groups clearly have different influences.

It's entirely possible that neither member of Outkast own a Coltrane record, while no member of the Roots has a Too Short tape.

In the 70's, did Kool & The Gang change their shit up because of Parliament/Funkadelic? Ok, they did. Bad example. But you see where I'm going here. The Roots should make another Roots record, not dress in peculiar clothes and jack up the bpm just to mimic Kast.

Outkast's new record has Dr. Funkenstein written all over it, (and not just the basslines, Dr. Dre) which is pretty amazing if we forget about Digital Underground. The Roots pioneered live instrumentation in hip hop to some extent, if we forget about the Beastie Boys. Let's be open-minded and let these guys do their thing.