Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectdude, I feel you BUT...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=20555&mesg_id=20585
20585, dude, I feel you BUT...
Posted by spirit, Fri Dec-01-00 02:51 PM
....the same can be said for any white artist. What you're basically asking white folks to do is to stay away from the mic because other (racist) white people would buy their CDs over other black rappers. Does that sound fair? Eminem played it by the rules. He went through the battle circuit, earning respect and taking crowns (even taking losses to greater battle emcees like Juice). He went through the underground circuit doing mad guest appearances. Dre heard his stuff and decided to extend an offer to Eminem. What was he supposed to say: "Sorry, Dre, if I work with you I'll be successful and white people who should be buying Redman will buy my CD"???? Does that make sense?

I feel you, but the difference is, Elvis was blatantly stealing, like re-doing whole songs that HAD BEEN DONE BETTER, watering them joints down, then putting them out for a suburban white audience. Eminem is just doing his thing, writing his own raps, flipping his own style. What's he supposed to do? He put on a crew of black emcees when he got clout. He's staying true to all the brothers he came up with (D-12). What else can he do?

Spread love,

Spirit

"You broke my head
and you fractured my spine
you told me
you’d be forever mine
you broke my law
and there is a fine
and it’s a very vengeful kind
And I’m stalking
for my love
And I’m watching