Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectBiggest OkayArtists' Album Disappointment For You
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=20270
20270, Biggest OkayArtists' Album Disappointment For You
Posted by lagism, Sat Jan-13-01 08:40 AM
simple question: which one of the okayartists disappointed you most with their album?

talk about latest releases of the okayartists, not the old ish they put out.

peace.lagism.OUT

MITCH HEDBERG JOKES START HERE
------------------------------
"I'm not addicted to gambling, I'm addicted to sitting in semi circles"

"On a traffic light, red means stop and yellow means slow down and green means go ahead. However, when eating a banana, it's the opposite. Green means slow down. Yellow means go ahead. And red means 'Where the fuck did you get that banana at?'"

"A person teaches their dog to sit and it's considered a trick. However, I've been sitting all my life and no dog has looked at me and thought that I was tricky."

"I wrote a letter to my dad and I wanted to write that I really missed him. But instead of writing really, I wrote rarely and I didn't wanna scratch it out. So, I wrote: 'I rarely drive steamboats, dad. There's a lotta shit you don't know about me. Quit acting like I operate steamboats.' I knew the letter took a harsh turn from there. But I finished it up nicely by writing: 'P.S. Here is what the alphabet would look like without the letters Q and R.'"

"I wanna be a race car passenger when I grow up. Just the guys that bugs the driver. 'Hey man, can I turn on the radio? Why we always driving around in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? You must really like Tide.'"

20271, reflection eternal
Posted by prophetsun, Sat Jan-13-01 10:54 AM
the joint "africa" is not long enough......

i have to replay it over & over just to keep the groove going...

i hear the horns...

then the beat drops...

"life has been a constant battle...battle
rising above these crabs in a barrel"....

head steady noddin...

close eyes to ride the vibe

"these cats drink champagne to toast death & pain like slaves on a ship talkin bout who got the flyest chain"....

oh shit that line was tight....

that bamma just said slaves on a ship...flyest chain...oh sh*t, shorty got lyrics...

oh damn....hi-tek gettin down right now....

he got the chanting & singing...

still got the beat goin....

oh damn...

i feel it...

the crescendo is building...

just a little bit more & i'll be there...

right there

right there

right there...

"we the reflection of our ancestors....

thank you very much...

god bless you..god bless you...."

WTF!?!?!?!?

how you just gon leave me hangin like that?!?!?!

you can't take me there...and just leave me there!!!

you gotta finish now...

aww this some bullsh*t right here!!!!

man...imma hurt somebody...

this is what it is like listening to "africa"...

oh well....

gotta replay it...

-i aint lyin! this sh*t i'm makin up is true!!

PEACE & LOVE
20272, Agree 100%
Posted by Brandard, Sat Jan-13-01 11:34 AM
I feel you.

I just want more and more of it. Maybe there will be like an extended remix as a B-side or something.

God i want that track to just keep going....
20273, Yessir..
Posted by MellofromGI, Mon Jan-15-01 02:30 AM
I feel that, but WTF happens after that song is over. I dont own a backwards playing cd thingy, so I have no clue what goes on there?? Anyone know?
~~~~~~~~
AIM: Mello01
Homepage: http://members.blackplanet.com/2bYGB/
E-mail: melvin@poetic.com

If knowledge was your wealth, then it would be well-earned. -Silly E. Badu

Gary, Indiana, the city of the new century. -Mello

Did you hear about the rose that grew from the concrete? -Pac

Give a dayum if any fam recall my legacy, I'm tryna live life in tha sight of God's memory... -Mos Def

Its time to get some Ghetto Heaven
-Rasheed & D'

The people, united, will never be defeated. - Talib
20274, I love that track....
Posted by Mil, Sun Jan-14-01 07:38 PM
....but I wouldnt want them to cut any of the other tracks either.

Also... and how did this dissappoint you? Dissappoint meaning your expectations for what the album would bring, that is.

I'd have to say The Platform basically.... I mean... I dunno. Guess I wanted more. Dont listen to it really (least i copped it). I listen to all the other okay artist albums, and I even have a mix minidisk of all Kweli's old shit... which I have to edit by the way... still has "Some Kind Of Wonderful" on there... One thing about the RE.... what the hell happened to "The Express"? I loved that joint.

Swingin thru ya block like ya neighborhood Spider-Man,

Mil

AIM: Milspectah Deck / E-Mail:Mil@thejawn.com / http://www.thejawn.com

"Nobody worry... Gambit has returned."-Gambit

"The night is young/And Im already fighting, hiding my gun/Promoter buggin, screaming, 'Who the fuck invited Pun?!' "-Big Pun (RIPP-Rest In Peace, Pa')
20275, lwfc
Posted by kevb, Sat Jan-13-01 11:05 AM
opio
20276, RE: lwfc
Posted by jigga, Tue Jan-16-01 04:09 PM
>opio

Just curious here, What does Opio have 2 do w/ LWFC?

Since most kids are spoiled these days we let em have it. -Rakka from Dialated Peoples.

18 willin rednecks, sendin me death threats, cuz their niece fantasize about wet sex, when I'm in her headsets. -Opio from Souls of Mischief

In a room full of crackers, I might cut the cheese. -Method man

Your album is like a bad stock tip...
I lose interest. -Punchline

I used 2 be ugly, but now these bitches iz budusa, and guess what I made you exectutive producer. -Nore

I'll battle you in the flesh, I'll battle you on the net, I'll battle you over the phone, you can call me collect -Canibus

I'm still official, (why) cuz I'm on a roll like toilet tissue -Ras Kass

Some think I'm clever, others think I'm the one who makes too many references 2 weather...or not. -Evidence of Dialated Peoples

20277, easy
Posted by BigDOttawa, Sat Jan-13-01 11:18 AM
dice raw for sure. weak album, imo. dice is one of those mc's who i can only stand in small doses.(guest appearances)

"you know you ghetto when you stuck inside a jail
them Jordans on your feet costed more then your bail" - Kardinal

SUPPORT CANADIAN HIP HOP!!!
SUPPORT CANADIAN HIP HOP!!!
20278, easy
Posted by leaf, Mon Jan-15-01 02:41 AM
Agreed

Canadian hip hop?:)
20279, no lie!!!!! DICE RAW WINS THIS POST!!!!!!
Posted by dj_teddy_bear, Mon Jan-15-01 08:20 AM
hes tight, but i missed him on the roots' tracks and toomuch of him isnt good to my ears, sorry...

peace...One luv 4 hip hop.....DJ Teddy Bear

a link for all the haters and those who got jokes and shit...http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/content.php?id=9155 (LMAO!!!)(peace to negmarron 4 that shit!!)

U WANT MY EMAIL ADDRESS?!?!!

its, dj_teddy_bear@hotmail.com, my AIM too? its cocoateddybear.

OKAYoungins - Givin You True Youth Since (11/12)2000 (cofounded by me and daveyg)

dj_teddy_bear - daveyg - zero - DROots - albinomexican - illnes - okaymattd - HomerILLiad404 - OkayBrazilian - mzhotgirl - Essaywhuman - HersheyBit - Preach - brown_thought - naame - akweykan - Lyterall - MoJoTaters - Loryn - Imfntubby - ILLusional - tRoUbLeMnD - TotalRequestloveLive - WhiGoStaR - smiler - itsmeaight - erjs408 - drFunkenstein - vuduchild - tygris - Afroteck - fLee - Scout - sugarflyy

wanna be an official OKAYoungin? hit me (info is higher up!), daveyg (davegilbertson - AIM) or zero (monkeybars j5 - AIM)

"They owe me whats mine, I show you if you if you lone me ya nine!...These crackers cant stop UHURU" - stic.man (of dead prez) 'dem crazy'
20280, no lie
Posted by L_O_Quent, Tue Jan-16-01 02:43 PM
I saw it at the used cd store today and it wasn't for the regular price that 2000 cd's it was cheaper.

It has my vote.

carry on

Don't know right now I'm still trying to pick a few for The 1, if you have some ideas e or pm me - L_O_Quent
20281, i agree and disagree
Posted by atruhead, Tue Jan-16-01 02:47 PM
>dice raw for sure.

agree

dice is
>one of those mc's who
>i can only stand in
>small doses.(guest appearances)

Heres where I disagree, his album lacked substance and concept, and the beats couldve used work. But still he can rhyme, hes held it down the last 3 roots albums

"fire being celibate is about as credible as James Brown modeling for Ralph Lauren"- j_y

"i normally dongt get drunk and post but i just had a bottle of chianti and im feelin good as hell. i cant wait for sopranano to go back on. tony soprano is ab bad motherfuca lemme tell you. THis chck from my school just logged off aol and man i would love to hit this chick off. BANGIN! Shes half puerto rican half dominican and hafl forget about it. i'd blaze off half now and save the other half for nexts semester if i could word up. shes that fly."- drunk naz

20282, this is not a diss
Posted by sundasill, Sat Jan-13-01 11:33 AM
dialated peoples gotta 8.5

i thought they could do 9.0/9.9 material

but hey thats what the second albums for

overall i like it but it had slight down moments

i havent heard dice's album to critic yet

but compared to most non-okayartist material
okayartist are over the top (not even suckin ass)
th truth a set you free

TMF=this...muahfuckah
Sundasill/Pootie Tang 3000

sadatay!

Live fast die faster
leftlane addiction
20283, well this is a different scale
Posted by reefdogg, Sat Jan-13-01 11:52 AM
it may not be fair cause dice is only on his first album, but his is easily weaker than that of dilated, roots, dangelo, com, kweli, and jazzies

dice's album is a good freshman effort though .. i love react to his, 5 stages, lava, thin line, and if i only had words

----
IM and ICQ name: reefdogg1 (number one at the end)

Mondays, 8pm-11pm EST: a hip hop radio show on the rocks ... eff the watered down ish
http://www.bsrlive.com/ - click on the hi fi/low fi right under the picture

nas is like ...

i scream at the mirror, curse, asking god, why me? / run in the black church, gun in my hand, y'all try me / i'm god son, son of man, son of marcus garvey / rastarfari ari, hail ali salasi / police try to break us, but the streets rasied us / it takes more than metal bars, we're destined for ours / i hear murder plans from dope fiends, with elephant hands / snot's in their nostril, the block is hostile / there's no pots to piss in, blocks is spit / rocks is cookin, underground bodies stiffening, cops lookin / bird shit, droppin on the window pane / the oxygen is cocaine, it drove lots of men to die with no name / i've been on boats, nut down throats, pee on bitches who are famous / pretty dick, leavin stitches in their anus / i'm the animal that hugh heffner created / the only nigga that sade dated, the most hated, nas nigga

i heard you fags wanna catch me off guard, put techs in my heart / the death of escobar under ya rep, whispers in the dark / i hear it cause the street ain't loyal to choose sides / prepare for the beef whoever lose dies / rich and i'm thuggin, i can't trust nothin / this bitch that i'm fuckin, this clip that i'm bustin / could jam in my fist, look at my hand / fingered pussy more expensive rings cut coke cookies / wrote poetry and broke noses b / voices heaven, i'm god son, of course a legend / this is part one, speak my sermon, the hood reverend / blunted eyes red, see ass a hundred times five res / cds blast, speed fast haters drop dead / i'm gorgeous, black artist flip the armrest and grab the cordless / somebody stacks the best, ass is flawless / finally the long awaited shit ghetto people / the sequel, nas, cnn, nobody's equal

noreaga is like ...

b eeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzeeeeee, keep the club off the heeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzeeeeeee, see us thuggin in the back, drinkin greeeeeeezzzzzeeeeeeee, see we still smoke trrrrreeeeeeeeeezzzzzeeeeeee, see us rippin the shows with darryl eeeeeeeeezzzzzzeeeeeeeeee

20284, RE: well this is a different scale
Posted by guest, Mon Jan-15-01 08:16 AM
if you're hot you're hot if you're not you're wack!

you should judge this album by its booty cover.

opus.... the okayheckler

the masterminds
http://www.themasterminds.net
we got joints!

the amphibians
http://www.theamphibians.com
check spirit for reasons to visit the site.

20285, It would be Dice, but...
Posted by alek, Sun Jan-14-01 12:17 AM
...but after hearing the new cuts on tour, I wasn't expecting much more than I got (only two deep tracks, weak production, can't listen all the way through and wouldn't want to anyway). So no disappointment.

So really Roots Come Alive is closest to a disappointing release (even though it still KILLS). I wanted tracks from a variety of years, some stuff from when songs were being worked out live for TFA and Illadelph, and some performances from 96-97 tours. Also some of the more adventurous material (covers, tricky remixes), and where were the solos? Not a live Roots experience without them.

Alek

"It's off the hook, yeah we took it there..."

"This be that cold shit of course, cause I was forced by the streets to rock beats and sell source..."

"A father ain't a father till he furthers your existence..."

"In a couple of seconds you'll be feeling fondled..."

"You got a beeper, but still you comin' up with lint..."
20286, Train of Thought!
Posted by guest, Sun Jan-14-01 01:11 AM
I only bought it because I thought it would grow on me...... It didn't. The production is WEAK and Kweli is BOOOOOOOOOORING. He sounds like some Common copy.

One luv

Simon.

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/slumvillagebaby is the adress for my SLUM VILLAGE club on YAHOO!!! IT´s great! Come and join! :*

http://www.recordkingdom.com is the ISH, baby!!!! CHECK IT OOOOUT!!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!

"I gotta hold, hold on, hold on to my pride"- DÁngelo "The Line"

"I´m a sure boy with an open heart, down to finish what I start, can´t nobody change my tune"-Rashaan Patterson

"still got time to perfect the beats..."-Dr.Dre. (VERY important thing, that beat thang!!!)

Hvis du er en dansk okayplayer, så er du sku i orden!! evt. mail mig...

;-)

20287, Okay...
Posted by alek, Sun Jan-14-01 09:58 AM
>I only bought it because I
>thought it would grow on
>me...... It didn't. The production
>is WEAK and Kweli is
>BOOOOOOOOOORING.

It might still grow on you. Don't give up hope.

>He sounds like some
>Common copy.

Hmmm. I was puzzled by this, so I listened to them together on Pharoah's "The Truth" and "Respiration." I didn't see it at all. Can you explain why?

Alek

"It's off the hook, yeah we took it there..."

"This be that cold shit of course, cause I was forced by the streets to rock beats and sell source..."

"A father ain't a father till he furthers your existence..."

"In a couple of seconds you'll be feeling fondled..."

"You got a beeper, but still you comin' up with lint..."
20288, RE: Train of Thought!
Posted by illosopher, Tue Jan-16-01 12:14 PM
>I only bought it because I
>thought it would grow on
>me...... It didn't. The production
>is WEAK and Kweli is
>BOOOOOOOOOORING. He sounds like some
>Common copy.

A producer friend of mine told me upon reading this, to stop smoking those blunts laced wet, heroin, crack, dust and e.

20289, Like Water For Chocolate.
Posted by guest, Sun Jan-14-01 12:43 PM

20290, RE: Like Water For Chocolate.
Posted by tha whut, Mon Jan-15-01 06:46 AM
i second that. way too soft on the production . i've heard skeelo come harder.

i'm so ahead of my time when talk
there's a 7 second delay © wordsworth
20291, Like Water For Crap
Posted by guest, Mon Jan-15-01 08:13 AM

opus.... the okayheckler

the masterminds
http://www.themasterminds.net
we got joints!

the amphibians
http://www.theamphibians.com
check spirit for reasons to visit the site.

20292, NO CHICKEN GREASE REMIX
Posted by TRENDone, Sun Jan-14-01 05:30 PM
MAN, I WAS REALLY, REALLY, REALLLLLLLY LOOKING FORWARD TO IT! HE PROBABLY WOULD HAVE GOT CRAZY GRAMMY NOMS WITH ANOTHER SOLID RADIO HIT. AS LONG AS BROTHER PUTS OUT THE FLY SHIT, THATS ALL THAT MATTERS.
20293, LWFC was a beautiful album
Posted by guest, Wed Jan-17-01 05:55 AM
LWFC had no flaws at all in my opinion. I don't get how anyone can say it was a disappointment. Everyone has their own opinion, but LWFC is to me is far from a disappointment. I think this cd brought Com closer to mainstream than any of his other albums did. I also think is Ghetto Heaven remix is the shit. I just get tired of alot of Okayplayers trying to criticize every track that isn't normal for an okayartists.
PEACE
20294, RE: Biggest OkayArtists' Album Disappointment For You
Posted by synonomous, Sun Jan-14-01 08:30 PM
I don't know how you could say RE was dissappointing, I loved that shit. I could listen to the entire album from beginning to end, and its like a journey.

Like water for chocolate, though there are definitely some songs that I tend to skip, definitely made me happy, mostly because of song for assatta, geto heaven 2, the light, 6th sense, ok, that part about songs a skip... ignore it

The Platform is hot, I mean, it doesn't have your typical Okayartist depth, imo, but the beats are great, and it just gets me pumped, if im listenin in my car, i have a hard time controlling the steering wheel

Come Alive - It takes me back to their concerts everytime I listen to it, doesn't have every song on there, but it wasn't supposed to be "the entire roots collection comes alive" soo....

My dissappointment would have to be dice raw. I can't listen to much of the album, and I think who ever said this put it best when they said they only like dice in small doses, one verse per song, guest appearances dot dot dot...
-Synonomous

Aim: wtc36wtc
e-mail: wtc41@yahoo.com

"Truth be told we hypocrites in a materialistic society, spirituality shunned on while young kids get gunned on" - Jane Doe

"So stick to the same plan, don't come shakin my hand like we peeps, it ain't beef but be sure to understand between us, it ain't all good" - De La Soul

"If I don't like it I don't like it, it don't mean that I'm hating." - Common
20295, RE: Biggest OkayArtists' Album Disappointment For You
Posted by guest, Tue Jan-16-01 12:21 PM
Reflection was tight and it had to grow on me, Dice Raw has grown on me eventhough it is not up there but that damn Dilated is trash. I try playing it over and over but I still can't feel em.

Creased up like linen, with a soft spot for small women, green trees and Girbaud denim.
20296, Tie between TFA and LWFC n/m
Posted by nonseq, Tue Jan-16-01 02:55 PM
AIM: nichet00

"Even when I say nothing, it's a brilliant use of negative space" El-P

Raeshika: i bought slum used today
Raeshika: returned it 3 hrs later.
nichet00: ha ha
nichet00: that should go in my sig
nichet00: putting it in now

20297, WARNING!!
Posted by Solarus, Tue Jan-16-01 05:15 PM
Hotep

Anyone who posted Talib Kweli's "Reflection Eternal" and Common's "Like Water for Chocolate" as the biggesty disappointment shall be hunted down with dogs then severely beaten. And if you said "Reflection Eternal," you'll also be lacerated with a thousand small cuts and then thrown into a tub of alcohol.

NEVER commit such blasphemy again.

Please forgive them Lord Kweli.

PEace
Solarus

"To be perfect is to lack nothing essential to the whole therefore I AM."-Solarus

"And if I have to dead you, it's only cuz I love you."- Talib Kweli

20298, RE: Biggest OkayArtists' Album Disappointment For You
Posted by guest, Tue Jan-16-01 06:19 PM
Mine would have to be Voodoo. I liked it, but it got old really quick. I guess since there was so much hype built around it, I expected more. But he made of for it during his live performances. When it comes to performing none of his peers can touch him!