Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectmy recap...a little late...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=1983&mesg_id=2113
2113, my recap...a little late...
Posted by guest, Thu Sep-23-04 03:57 PM
As we all know by now, the Block Party was historic!

It was over for me when when Big Daddy Kane came out during the Roots set, my heart damn near bust out of my chest. To the brother with locs, standing infront of me, in the white wife beater, THANK YOU for being understaning when I damn near pounded and grabbed you to death when Big Daddy Kane came out :)

But nothing prepared me for finale featuring the reunion of The Fugees. OMG! We heard that LBoogie was the "surpise", but a reunion....damn! Wyclef had me so close to tears when he started freestyling about missing working with his fam. I was so happy to see beautiful L. And ofcourse her kids were not far behind. Pras looked healthy and rocked it too, although the chemistry between L & Wyclef was so THICK.

As for the other acts. Erykah Badu singing with Jill Scott, untouchable! Erykah diving into the crowd, priceless. And
Miss Scott, she didn't walk to the stage, she floated, she is absolutely gorgeous! But not just physically her whole spirit comes thru her face, her smile. And I want to bite her outfit. And she made a very positive and funny commentary on marriage. So good she had to lick her fingers, to let the world know how much she enjoys the state of her relationship. More power to you Jill!

The Roots, Kanye, Dead Pres, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Common, Bilal (sang his face off!!) & Cody C (who I was waiting for to come out during The Roots set) -- Nothing can be said that hasn't already been said about all these beyond talented beautiful brothers. and Mad respect to the godfather DJ Kool Herc!

From the start of the day, I knew it would be something to remember for a lifetime. From talking to people on the bus line, me and my girls sitting in the last row of the bus eating our Pathmark chicken, and catching heat from some cats from Boston, who called us out, for not sharing :) and being the first bus to pull out! We had a camera crew on board and this production guy, his name is "Ben" if I remember correctly.

The vibe thoughout the entire event is just so mellow. We got were up at the front of the center stage, and our neighbors were great! We had a tight crew in the front. We didn't exchange any # with those we spent 8+ hours with, but we still looked out of each other when one had to leave and come back. We did have to check several people who THOUGHT they could move up the front and block those who were standing there since the begining. I'm sorry don't come with a fake sob story as to why you should be infront, especially that lady talking about "i'm short, I can't see, Can't you let me up there so I can see better?". Come again???

Yes it was a very long day, a wet long day, but worth every second. One thing though, I'm tired of hearing people of people complaining about something that was so satifying and on top of that "free". You could not put a price on what it was to witness all that! Especially some of the youngin's around me, complaining about how long it took to set up between sets. Quality takes time, this wasn't no fly by night operation.

This was one of the best concert experiences I've had in my life. Much props to Dave, for putting this amazing event together. I can't wait to replay on the DVD Dave's freestyle poetry on the congos! Plus I have to buy it, cause I hope to see myself and my girls having a ball in the front of the stage !