Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectThat's the way the Times does it
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=1983&mesg_id=2083
2083, That's the way the Times does it
Posted by magilla vanilla, Tue Sep-21-04 04:52 PM
I think them and the Wall Street Journal are the only papers that still use formal titles. Everywhere else you just see West, Kweli, etc. I think it's kind of cool, respectful to everyone involved in a news story, and something that sets the Times apart.

On the way the article was written, the Fugees reuniting is a national story. Yeah, the block party is too, but the Fugees haven't released material together in 10 years. From the standpoint of a national newspaper (even though this was in the Metro section, so they could have spun it for NYC), the Fugees are the story here. What they could, and should have done, is split the story into the Fugees and the Block Party, but they didn't. From a news writing standpoint, I can't with what the Times did here.

As far as who killed it the most, I wasn't there, so I couldn't tell you. Most people here are responding best to the Black Star and Common set, as well as the appearance of Kool G and BDK.