Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectmy review
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=1983&mesg_id=2021
2021, my review
Posted by budz4zo, Sun Sep-19-04 07:41 AM
review from me:

it was insane, sickest show ever. i showed up early and got up front, maybe 5-10 people back. i was standing is the exact same spot from 2-10, not to mention all the standing i did before that. that was the only downside, all the waiting and standing. for the first 4 acts, there was like a 30-40 min downtime in between sets, then once the roots came out, it was on.

kanye came on first @ 2:30 with a marching band on the side. he was alright, no one was tired yet so the energy was decent. a lot of people were still missing at this point, not that many in the crowd.

next, dead prez came out, they was hot. eryka badu was next and jill scott followed. both ladies held it down.

dave chappelle was comn out in between shit and he was fucking hilarious, cant wait to see the dvd.

the roots came on at probably 6:30, im guessing but it was around then. they were pretty sick, although they didnt do a long set. they did the movement, and then jill scott and eryka came out for you got me. sickest version of you got me, eryka and jill scott! it was nutty.

after the roots finished, the band stayed on, and chappelle introduced the 3 sickest mc's on the stage at once. common, talib, and mos def. they was sick. couldnt believe i was seeing blackstar + common w/ the roots playing in the middle of a street in brooklyn. anyway, they all did some classic shit, respiration, definition, the 3 of em just kept on rotating, doin a couple solo songs, then grouping together for a collabo.
talib did I try, the blast, get by, and another from train o thought.

after everyone cleared the stage, mad people left, thinking it was over for some reason, but it was DEFINITEly not over. they started changing ALL the equipment, and setup 3 mics. it was about 40 minutes of waitn and guessing as to who the suprise closing act was. my money was on tribe called quest, which would have been sick as fuck. but it was none other than.......the FUGEEs. they blew the place up. did mad classic shit, ready or not, many mics, killing me softly, etc...
thats some crazy shit though, chappelle got the fugees to reunite and perform. i read something today about maybe an album from them in 1-2 years (allhiphop.com)

o well, that was my review, i wrote it quickly, but the show WAS the ill shit.

p.s. forgot to mention pharouh monche busted out, and people please back me up on this, was that andre 3000 that popped out, i swear it was, but my friend doesnt think so. freeway also showed up, jean grae kicked it at the end, bunch of heds i didnt recognize also freestyled a bit during the finale, i also think i saw damen dash, i dunno, show was sick though.