Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: A girlie perspective.....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=1983&mesg_id=2009
2009, RE: A girlie perspective.....
Posted by guest, Sun Sep-19-04 03:43 AM
That show was off the hook.

Missed Kanye b/c I got the second set of buses, but didn't miss anything else.

the stage was setup in the corner of two small streets in Bedford-Styvesant. People with wristbands were allowed all the way up front, then the gated off an the front area and anyone could come in back (they took down the gates at the end).

There was a house band that featured a guitarist (the same one I saw play with the Jazzys at the Knitting Factory), three horns, bassist, and ?uestlove, and couple different cats on keyboards that played with most bands.

Erykah's set was unbelievable and had Common coming on at the end.

The roots featured Jill Scott and Erykah coming on for you got me, which was done a whole lot different than on Comes Alive (but was incredible).

Common/Mos Def/Talib shared the stage for more than an hour doing their own songs, black star, etc.. amazing..

and the fugees... dammnn... heard a rumor of this before and the crowd was talking about it all day... but when they came on, everyone went nuts.. they played all the big hits from the score and some solo stuff as well.

after they finished, dave chappelle said goodbye and most people left. However, everyone was on stage for another half hour and with a groove laid down, everyone took their turn on stage.. mos def, talib, jill scott, etc...

only complaint was that the left speaker was out for the end of the show.. oh well...

this really was unbelievable.. i was so lucky to be there.. buy the DVD!!!

Thanks Dave!