Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Confusing Jill Scott commercial?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=19753&mesg_id=19807
19807, RE: Confusing Jill Scott commercial?
Posted by guest, Fri Feb-16-01 12:29 PM
Ok, here's the crazy part... for what it's worth, the majority of the cats on this site are enlightened brothers and sisters, yet when this topic popped up, it amazed me how ignorant brothers and sisters can lower themselves... Jill Scott is a beautiful sister, very talented, and should be recognized as such (as I am sure she is). My beef? Why can't heads realize that as a black person (be it lightskinned, darkskinned, so called caramel) we all have our problems. The biggest point of mental deconstruction was putting us against us. I am lightskinned, and would say it anywhere, anytime, anyplace,that I am proud to be lightskinned, why shouldn't I? For the last ten years I have listened to ignorant Negroes (not brothers and sisters, Negroes) such as Bobby Brown, Magic Johnson (on the Arsenio Hall show to be exact) point out how at one point it was all about lightskinned brothers and sisters and now it's all about the chocolate... how stupid. I listened as heads made ignorant comments like "the blacker the berry" like we are goddamn fruit. This only breeds stupidity. Black people are beautiful and should be proud no matter what their skin color is.
Ok, maybe they edited the commercial and perhaps there could have been some better things to talk about (like a possible revolution-boy we just don't know what to do with our camera time do we?) but I would rather hear the truth, from her point of view, then hear about how great Martin,"I cheat on my wife every chance I get, plus I work for JFK"Luther King Jr was. I mean, I appreciate what the brother did, but he was really on some sell out bs... anyway... We as a people (since Magic didn't have a damn clue) that television, has never captured the true climate of our culture, so it was never about lightskinned brothers, or darkskinned brothers, want proof? We, regardless of the color of our skin, have always been getting married, having sex, having kids, whatever... we have only let TV dictate, then reconstruct our opinions about ourselves far too many times, want proof... we are doing it now with Jill... Peace and blessings, hang in there sister!

>I don't know if this subject
>has already been discussed, but
>Okay, I saw Jill's black
>history month commercial on MTV,
>and I was kind of
>disapointed. What exactly is
>she talking about. She
>kept saying that she was
>a light skinned black woman,
>and that because of this
>she was ostracized or some
>shit. That was it!