Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectWAIT...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=19753&mesg_id=19792
19792, WAIT...
Posted by morpheme, Fri Feb-09-01 08:51 AM
>I don't care what complexion Ms.
>Scott is, I don't care
>about the discussion of skin
>tone at all, I'm just
>confused as to how her
>statements fit into a commercial
>for black history month.

she's blk...& an american...how could they not???

Of
>course black folks come in
>a large range of complexions
>and so forth, that's great.
>I don't care about that,
>my thing is that in
>a world where people of
>color are told they are
>inferior because of the presence
>of melanin in their skin,

see...u've just made the point...u as opposed to the world...let's make an example i really can relate to...i have large breasts...there are women who are willin to die to get saline sacs thrust thru tiny little holes in hopes that they affect as natural appearance as mine...that does not mean i never had adjustment issues as a child or as an adult...& just because there are ppl who would "kill" to have breasts like mine it doesn't qualify me as havin a superiority complex if i were to encompass all that makes me beautiful & were to focus on my breasts...like i stated before...were jill the color of a blk grape we really wouldn't be havin this discussion

>it seems like it wouldn't
>be smart to put out
>an ad in which the
>love of the black experience,
>and the love of black
>beauty should be the focus,
>not one that ends with
>a statement that leads others
>to question the speaker's true
>understanding of the ignorance in
>the words spoken by those
>that teased and taunted her.

perhaps jill herself doesn't know...she was speakin of her truth...her understandin...what u are speakin to is sometime of reverse censorship..."are u sure that that's what u want to say???"...when u write poetry u can only speak 'the truth'...if it comes out the wrong way it's still right...sure she could've revise martin's speech on washington...but why???

>I'm not saying that light
>skinned folks shouldn't love themselves,
>because I happen to be
>what some consider light, and
>I love myself a bunch.
>But when I have heard
>people make stupid comments about
>my skin tone, or my
>boyfriends make shitty references to
>their preference in certain skin
>tones, I don't think, "I
>sure love myself because I'm
>light!" I think "you suck."
>and "how can we stop
>this stupid discussion and keep
>our people from being divided
>by stupid boundaries devised to
>divide us?"

but what if u thought like jill did???...would u not have been "correct"???...& just because u felt victimized doesn't mean u found urself able to embrace what was U...if anythin jill's on target: u have to RECLAIM URSELF frum all that serves to beat u down...i don't care about bein able to be in the big house & quadroon balls...high yellow & mixed ppl still have the right to esteem frum head to toe...insides & outsides...& they have a right to express that even if the rest of the world hasn't turned the page or read the footnotes

I just wonder
>if the folks that wrote
>the commercial feel the same
>way?

i'd say kudos to them ESPECIALLY if they did not...& i am also glad that there's been this dialogue open'd up about it