Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectWrong....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=19753&mesg_id=19786
19786, Wrong....
Posted by Tami2shoes, Fri Feb-09-01 05:04 AM
I don't care what complexion Ms. Scott is, I don't care about the discussion of skin tone at all, I'm just confused as to how her statements fit into a commercial for black history month. Of course black folks come in a large range of complexions and so forth, that's great. I don't care about that, my thing is that in a world where people of color are told they are inferior because of the presence of melanin in their skin, it seems like it wouldn't be smart to put out an ad in which the love of the black experience, and the love of black beauty should be the focus, not one that ends with a statement that leads others to question the speaker's true understanding of the ignorance in the words spoken by those that teased and taunted her. I'm not saying that light skinned folks shouldn't love themselves, because I happen to be what some consider light, and I love myself a bunch. But when I have heard people make stupid comments about my skin tone, or my boyfriends make shitty references to their preference in certain skin tones, I don't think, "I sure love myself because I'm light!" I think "you suck." and "how can we stop this stupid discussion and keep our people from being divided by stupid boundaries devised to divide us?" I just wonder if the folks that wrote the commercial feel the same way?