Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectYou can't please everybody
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=19753&mesg_id=19785
19785, You can't please everybody
Posted by guest, Fri Feb-09-01 03:32 AM
Come on, give the SISTA a break!

I have always considered myself to be "brown" skinned, yet, other people have referred to me as being "light-skinned" anyway. Why? I can't really tell you that, but I do know that people who are insecure about their OWN skin tone are usually the ones who make a big deal over what complexion other Afrian Americans are.

If Jill considers herself to be light in complexion, maybe it's because people actually did think she was a lighter sista as she was growing up. Things that people say to you as a child can have a big effect on how some people continue to view themselves. Being lighter in complexion compared to some of her peers was probably the reason she was considered to be "light-skinned" whether she really is or not.

The bottom line is, it sounds like she grew up around some ignorant people who taunted her about being light-skinned the same way some children are taunted for being 'dark'. If that's the case, I agree with her 100% for saying she's proud of who she is whether she's considered to be lighter or darker than other African Americans. I think the only people who would be offended by what she said are people who are a little insecure about their own complexion. Maybe I'm wrong, but.........