Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectwhoo...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=19753&mesg_id=19782
19782, whoo...
Posted by morpheme, Thu Feb-08-01 10:44 PM
okay...let's varify first that we're all speakin on the same ad...the one where she's recitin frum her journal book on the sofa...relatin herself to food & whatnot???...among a macrocosm of other isms???

in any event...where jill considers or has been consider'd as light skinned...i am very much the same tone as jill scott & consider myself to be dark skinned & have been rebuked w/taunts of "yellow" & "butter pecan" & "lite brites"...but u know what: i'm dark skinned...that is how i associated myself thru my familial relations & in my own estimation...if i were to be comparin myself to others in that "light" i WOULD be admittedly rather dark-er...but i don't

whole thing comes down to how U view U...that is jill's poetry...she may have been speakin of herself & no one...u & everyone...u will NOT be able to dictate what subjects someone should & should not "do" poetically...where someone should or not go versewise...tho u will try

this is america...land of nappy headed blk folk...the way we were when we were brought here...yet we still get discriminated against for donnin "nappyheaded" styles...america...land of wide blkasses...the way we were when we were brought here...yet we still get projects onto self perception to contort & realign to fit a mode un-us...& it's not all "them-ism"...it's a whole lotta WE...in explorin what's right & wrong oftimes a primary check of self {which may involve ur entire race or be in the singular} is necessary...BLK PPL HAVE GOT BONES...we got sum naaaaassssssty shit in our collective closets...{we call em hope chests tho...HOPIN we can get away w/this everpresent image that we are just an oppressed group of disposed despots who possess no flaw}...& sometimes what some would consider a dead horse for some...it's a philly {no pun intended} seasons away frum bein put out to pasture...furthermore aknowledgin that "issues" exist or takin esteem in whatever it is about u that may seperate u frum others...does not exacerbate or further the divide on a damned thing...what all we could speak on collectively new millenium {sp} STILL precedes us

& i wonder...if jill were speakin on sum "blker the berry sweeter the juice...i'm so blk i make midnight blush" isht...would we really be havin this type of discussion on what she did/did not say???

jill is a poet...ur opinions really don't matter...it doesn't matter a damn if u've bought her records...U may have rather'd jill recite sumthin on whatever...but U weren't asked to contribute UR voice...were u???

asighn4jane just ain't VALID n e more

"naw i ain't frum the d..." © jaydee

"i live in oz...i live in this chair...& i wouldn't be here if u let me have the goddammed muthafuckin paper route!!!"...harold perrineau "oz"