Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectTrue...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=19753&mesg_id=19768
19768, True...
Posted by Tami2shoes, Thu Feb-08-01 11:32 AM
I totally agree with your response, I guess you could say that But I guess I'm one of those people that cringes when black folks start talkin' about the color complex issue in front of white folks. I hate to admit that there are some subjects that I feel need to be fully addressed within our community first before somebody goes on tv talking about how proud they are to be light...Anyway...

On the subject of self love, I love myself too, I love everything about myself, whatever... but I'll be damned if you catch me on record saying that I love myself soooo much because I'm light skinned. I mean is this the only thing she could have talked about? I mean I would have liked to hear about her experiences as a black musician, or as a Jehovah's Witness, anything but a focus on the negative/positive attitudes toward skin tone within the black community, I'm sorry, that's just how I feel...

I don’t really care about what complexion she is, my problem is with the rationale behind the commercial. And yes, I wouldn’t mind working for MTV, we need more black spin doctors instead of folks trying to continue the promotion of negative stereotypes through booty videos and wack dance party shows.