Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectCommons New Cd Out By July/2001?!!?!?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=19523
19523, Commons New Cd Out By July/2001?!!?!?
Posted by guest, Thu Jan-25-01 12:23 PM
What up okayplayers. I just wanted to post an interesting news article that is about zach de la rocha's new solo album...and how he is working with ?uestlove.'

The fact that he is working with brother ?uestion should be intersting...But what really caught my attention was the last parapraph in which it said commons new album is expected out in the next 6 months. Read for yourselves.:

Zack De La Rocha Recording With Roots' ?uestlove
01.25.2001 4:36 PM EST

Zack de la Rocha
Photo: Epic

Former Rage Against the Machine singer Zack de la Rocha, who left the activist rock quartet in October, recorded five songs for his solo debut last week in New York with Roots drummer ?uestlove.

The songs were recorded at Electric Lady Studios in Manhattan, although none of them will necessarily appear on de la Rocha's album, according to a source with the Roots' management. Epic Records hopes to release the album this year, a label spokesperson said.

The sessions featured ?uestlove both in the producer's chair and on drums, and included playing by bassist/guitarist Ben Kenny and keyboardist James Poyser, both of whom have worked with ?uestlove in the past.

De la Rocha is also hoping to work with innovative drum'n'bass producer Roni Size on the album, according to the Roots source. De la Rocha rapped on the fiery track "Centre of the Storm" from Size and his Reprazent crew's recent second album, In the Mode (see "Roni Size Collective Reprazent-ing For Everyone").

Former Company Flow frontman El-P has worked on tracks for de la Rocha's solo debut, too, though it isn't known if those cuts will be included on the album (see "Rage's De La Rocha Ready To Start On Solo LP").

?uestlove also is working on rapper Common's follow-up to his hit 2000 album, Like Water for Chocolate, for which he will again be executive producer in addition to producing several cuts. Slum Village's Jay Dee will also be behind the boards for the album, which is expected out in the next six months, according to the Roots spokesperson.

—Eric Demby

19524, RE: Commons New Cd Out By July/2001?!!?!?
Posted by Brandard, Thu Jan-25-01 12:50 PM
Are of any of the songs going to be on the solo album?

That was so weird, anyway yeah i figured Com's album would be coming out pretty quick given a few of the posts label guy has made.

Is there going to be anytime to work on the the new ROOTS album??

Still it sounds bangin' as always.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

-Joe
19525, YEA WHAT HAPPENED TO THE NEW ROOTS ALBUM?!!!??!
Posted by DROots, Thu Jan-25-01 01:40 PM
at the rate ?uest is going, i have a feeling, like other people have said in the past, we're not going to see a new roots joint this year. And, actually, i hope we don't. I don't want a half-assed album, with cuts that were made in ?uest's "free time" between other projects. lol. Just look at the long list ?uest is working on:
-new roots
- new d'angelo
- new common
- black thought (even though he's not doing the whole thing, he's still involved)
- zach de la rocha
- new jazzies
-scratch?

whatever. at least there will be a lot of good music coming. THE ANTICIPATION THOUGH!!! "EEEEEERRRRRR!!!!!" (c) tony soprano
peace
dro
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
aim: okayplayerDROots

OKAYOUNGINS UNITE!!!- zero
okayoungins- giving you true youthful musical wisdom since 2000.
OFFICIAL OKAYOUNGINS LIST: dj_teddy_bear - daveyg - zero - DROots-albinomexican - llness - okaymattd-daila - Homerilliad404 - Essaywhuman-Goldenwon - preach - Hersheybit-brown_thought - naame - akweykan -Carmia - Lyterall - MoJoTaters - Loryn-Imfntubby - ILLusional - tRoUbLeMnD-TotalRequestloveLive - WhiGoStaR - smiler - itsmeaight - erjs408 - drFunkenstein - vuduchild - tygris - Afroteck - fLee - Scout - sugarflyy - RipRapRoad - Adrenaline - SayWhatMan

"i'm so broke, i can't even pay attention."- Jimi Hendrix

"okayplayer.com, where your game be at?" (c) black thought

"well i'm mike d and i get respect, your cash and your jewlery is what i expect."- Mike D of the Beasties

19526, RE: YEA WHAT HAPPENED TO THE NEW ROOTS ALBUM?!!!??!
Posted by xangeluvr, Thu Jan-25-01 03:31 PM
does everyone realize that if a new Roots album drops at the end of this year that it will have been around 2.5 years since TFA dropped!! everyone acts like they are rushing things, 2.5 years ain't rushing to me. also, ?uest was always doing other shit while he worked on the Roots albums so what makes this album any different. you know that the new album is going to be certified dope!! stop doubting!

------------------------------------------------------------
"some signatures are just too damn long!" - me
19527, RE: YEA WHAT HAPPENED TO THE NEW ROOTS ALBUM?!!!??!
Posted by guest, Thu Jan-25-01 03:53 PM
you forgot about Bilal's project too

WOn't Zack De La Rocha be a good Okayplayer
19528, RE: YEA WHAT HAPPENED TO THE NEW ROOTS ALBUM?!!!??!
Posted by roamr1, Tue Feb-06-01 02:15 PM
don't forget the jazz joint ?uest is working on, the Philadelphia Experiment. Check SonicNet for the article.
19529, RE: Commons New Cd Out By July/2001?!!?!?
Posted by label_guy, Thu Jan-25-01 04:14 PM
Y'all should know about the press by now.......
Fall 2001 at the earliest for Com......that's my opinion.
Com is currently in the studio with ?uest & James as I type though. I heard Jay Dee hit Com with a banger also.
Thought was in the studio in LA w/Rockwilder last Tues. Thought took a beat home to write to.
Black Thought released 1st (2001), then the next Roots LP (early 2002).
That is all I know right now.

LG
Doing my job since 1991
19530, RE: Commons New Cd Out By July/2001?!!?!?
Posted by spirit, Thu Jan-25-01 07:50 PM
As far as Common goes, let No I.D. back in on this one....and somebody call Pete Rock because "the bitch in yoo" is a common classic.

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit

http://mp3.washingtonpost.com/bands/in_shallah.shtml
Check out my hip-hop brethren In Shallah
(Arabic for "God's will"); b-boy
conscious soul music for the world to
uprock to...

Imagine if Aceyalone was the
frontman for The Doors and you have
Miscellaneous Flux. Their four song
debut EP is on sale now. Want to hear an
MP3 to taste a sample? E-mail
alanpage@starpower.net

(I said Ghostface before, but I think
Aceyalone is a better comparison...maybe
the delivery of Ghost and the lyrics of
Acey...ah, hell, just listen)

"the world may seem to cause you pain.
and yet the world, as causeless, has no
power to cause. as an effect, it cannot
make effects. as an illusion, it is what
you wish" denis johnson, "already dead"

19531, word...
Posted by ILLWILL, Thu Jan-25-01 08:40 PM
I hope there will be harder tracks on the next LP than on LWFC, it got too laid back at some points for me...we need straight head knockin bangers.

..WILL..

Brainfood:
http://geocities.com/junebugs_sister/thoughts.htm

V I V R A N C E (2nd Branch)
TinkyWinky - marley marl
Vivrant - Pete Rock
bfnh - Premier
guinness - Jay Dee
Mosaic - Hi Tek
ILLWILL - Hank Shocklee
SqueegieXM - Prince Paul
Kay Dee - Buckwild
Nickelz45 - Diamond D
Raina - Jazzy Joyce
Phil - The Rza
Donwill - Automator
honorable mention:
fire - fire

"cinnamon roll or apple fritter = BANGIN!!!!"--DJ Teddy Bear grrrrrrrrrr!!!
19532, well...both of y'all be prepared for a dissapointment.
Posted by qoolquest, Fri Jan-26-01 09:01 AM
-sample free album.
i mean if y'all wanna pay for it. by all means will and spirit, hit me with a check for $300,000 and you can have all the george benson loops, and spirit loops, passport samples.

-if LWFC was an "afican" record. then ROTW..JRTB is a water album. closer to that of air, stereolab, and "kid a",

full of experiments, time changes, weirdo shit, and freedom.

if you want "i used to love h.e.r." then listen to that album com made 7 year old release called ressurection.

no i.d. is not (according to com, who i told "reach out") is not doing hip hop releated shit. his shit is more on the rnb side of things. so even if no id did contribute, he would submitt stuff that sounded like "funky for you".

what y'all think i'm lying? like "why don't they make a "one day" again!

again, slide me an extra $300 g's and that should cover the cost. i will make sure this is the first common album in which he dosn't get sued for not affording sample csots.

brace yourself. cause if you hoping for him to take a step back. you will be very mad you wasted $14.99

2001 is scarlet player year. here is my ish list.........

emmc (and all of his surnames)- those dickhead ass "steve" posts.
kaleel- insecure ass motherfucker, scurred of losing his wife to black thought.

19533, Quest....
Posted by guest, Fri Jan-26-01 10:05 AM
we've had this discussion before under my old log in name killah (but for some reason my password just doesn't seem to work anymore...) but back to basics. I understand Com doesn't want to get sued and that $300,000 (I'm assuming this is how much it costs to clear samples) is a lot but damn NO SAMPELS? It just seems to me, the way you make things sound is that NO hip hop album can be made because of the sample police. I'm sure Thoguht's album has some samples. The new Jay Dee (Welcome and his MCA joint) will have samples. Reflection has samples. Gangstarr uses samples. And since you say is the best producer EVER because of the way he can manipulate samples than what's the problem? I'm sure the new Blackstarr will have samples. Outkast uses samples, but to hear you say it, it's impossible to make a hip hop samples in 2001, and I trust what you're saying but than why is EVERYONE STILL MAKING HIP HOP ALBUMS WITH SAMPLES? And banging ones at that? So Jay is gonna produce on this but use NO samples? Sounds like a blah album to me...
19534, pshh
Posted by qoolquest, Fri Jan-26-01 10:44 PM
jay is way ahead of the track. he is after prince's title. most of his shit is live instruments. 9 times out of 10 most sampled shit is on indy shit. you think blackalicius is gonna make a nia on mca? matter of fact. (and lord knows what price jurassic 5 paid to get them samples on quality control) name a major label album that has been made in the vein of a "mecca and the soul brother" or "nation of millions"

there is none.

you thought de la just wanted to experiment with some rnb keyboards cause they 30? or that diamond d is jacking off in the basement? or pete is just waiting to strike back?

anti sampling laws is killing hip hop folks. you can say what you want. i live it everyday. anything that makes it past clearence was snuck. plain and simple. snuck like drugs at customs. sure a "light" will get through, cause it's just one loop. y'all think we paid for them detroit emrald drums? that is the backbeat? i already went through this.

for those who speak out against live instruments in hip hop is plain ignorant to me. that spits in the face of the work that i've put in for the last decade. not to mention that must mean that dre's work is underestimated and unappreciated (you think dre is using samples? nope)not to metion discounting the history of hip hop for it's first 8 years on wax. sugarhill? instruments. africa bambatta? instruments. "the show"? live instruments. "children's story" "mona lisa" instruments. whodini, instruments. i could go on, but the first 8 years and the last 5 years have been instrument heavy. check every rap song on 106th and park! for god sakes even "the blast" is instruments. and jay has been using live shit. damn y'all.....when y'all gonna learn?

more than that. i wanna clear something. com is not a person who's easily led. all decisions are made by him. his ideas are executed. not me and jay feeding him fantasies.

19535, RE: pshh
Posted by loopdigga, Mon Jan-29-01 05:26 AM
>jay is way ahead of the
>track. he is after prince's
>title. most of his shit
>is live instruments. 9 times
>out of 10 most sampled
>shit is on indy shit.
>you think blackalicius is gonna
>make a nia on mca?
>matter of fact. (and lord
>knows what price jurassic 5
>paid to get them samples
>on quality control) name a
>major label album that has
>been made in the vein
>of a "mecca and the
>soul brother" or "nation of
>millions"
>
The thing it dont get with this line of thinking is "moment of truth" is still loop based.above the clouds-loop/ it's a setup-loop /what im here 4- yhu flip/ militia-dark shadows ish/ now if primo can loop and getaway with it(unless he's clearing ish on the dl) how is the art of sampling in hip hop dying? The problem I see is cats dont wanna dig deeper, sure the blue note days are
over,the old staples are gone(even though jay still flipping "space" and "nt") well if that's the case dig deeper. Who still wants to use billie joe drums in 2001? What i think alot of producers need to do is look up these older cats and explain to them what hip hop is, all these older cats know about hip hop is what they see on BET and MTV and mainstream news. It seems to me if i was herbie hancock and i heard what jaydee did with "come running' I would be honored and impressed how he flipped that.If hip hop begins to think of itself as a art form people might begin to treat it like one, instead most mc's wanna play thugs instead of what they are musicians.
19536, loop-based?
Posted by cbk, Mon Jan-29-01 05:37 PM

>The thing it dont get with
>this line of thinking is
>"moment of truth" is still
>loop based.above the clouds-loop/ it's
>a setup-loop /what im here
>4- yhu flip/ militia-dark shadows
>ish/ now if primo can
>loop and getaway with it(unless
>he's clearing ish on the
>dl) how is the art
>of sampling in hip hop
>dying?

all of those songs above sound choppy, especially "it's a setup". what are the originals?
19537, RE: pshh
Posted by qoolquest, Tue Jan-30-01 10:49 AM

>The thing it dont get with
>this line of thinking is
>"moment of truth" is still
>loop based.

"moment of truth" is STABBED based. big difference.

primo loops.

-come clean
-da bitches
-dwyck
-b.y.s.
-jfk/lax

primo stabs

-the millitia
-you know my steeze
-brownsville
-work
-the 6th sense

prim's gift is taking 1 second samples (well about 10 of em) and making a song. but the problem there lies in a few cats feeling that prim has been doing repetitive work as of late. still great work.

problem is sampling is now limited. you have to do fine chopping, and pray your lawyers don't call. i don't think "steeze" is cleared. i don't think john dalkinworth is cleared ("above the clouds") and not much on that album.
-

above the clouds-loop/ it's
>a setup-loop /what im here
>4- yhu flip/ militia-dark shadows
>ish/ now if primo can
>loop and getaway with it(unless
>he's clearing ish on the
>dl) how is the art
>of sampling in hip hop
>dying? The problem I see
>is cats dont wanna dig
>deeper, sure the blue note
>days are
>over,the old staples are gone(even though
>jay still flipping "space" and
>"nt") well if that's the
>case dig deeper. Who still
>wants to use billie joe
>drums in 2001?

lauryn hill , and de la (lolol!!!)

What i
>think alot of producers need
>to do is look up
>these older cats and explain
>to them what hip hop
>is, all these older cats
>know about hip hop is
>what they see on BET
>and MTV and mainstream news.
>It seems to me if
>i was herbie hancock and
>i heard what jaydee did
>with "come running' I would
>be honored and impressed how
>he flipped that.

he was so impressed he took lil credit cause he said "what part did he take?"

If hip hop
>begins to think of itself
>as a art form people
>might begin to treat it
>like one, instead most mc's
>wanna play thugs instead of
>what they are musicians.

19538, RE: pshh
Posted by DyliLama, Mon Jan-29-01 07:23 AM
>you think blackalicius is gonna
>make a nia on mca?

Man, I really really hope so! I'm anticipating their next album as much if not more than the next Root's lp and Thoughts solo. I cant imagine Xcel not coming with dopeness like he's done so up to now.

19539, ain't spirit in law skool?
Posted by analog2digital, Fri Jan-26-01 10:07 AM
>-sample free album.
>i mean if y'all wanna pay
>for it. by all means
>will and spirit, hit me
>with a check for $300,000
>and you can have all
>the george benson loops, and
>spirit loops, passport samples.
>
>
>what y'all think i'm lying? like
>"why don't they make a
>"one day" again!
>
>again, slide me an extra $300
>g's and that should cover
>the cost. i will make
>sure this is the first
>common album in which he
>dosn't get sued for not
>affording sample csots.

HE can be one of those contractual type suits. Spirit could singlehandedly rid the hip hop world of the sampling problem. I know I don't like arguing with him.

Mah top MCs (in no particular order). "We dare you to disagree"

Ras Eminem Common Mos Talib Jay-Z
L Boogie Andre Nas Last Emperor

"Big Boi freestyles, I don't, because I think too much. But I'll write one verse that'll crush your whole album." --Andre Benjamin

19540, RE: ain't spirit in law skool?
Posted by spirit, Fri Jan-26-01 03:34 PM
Yeah, I'm in law school (anmd finished in a little over three months), but I don't think it's likely I'll be able to single-handedly change copyright law. I'll sure try to lobby for it though, rest assured. I think that the fair use provision could be expanded to protect some forms of sampling (which radically change the sound of the composition)...the thing is, no one is really lobbying Congress to change the sampling laws. If you're interested in doing so, hit me on the e-mail.

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit

http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/general1/9519.html#1 - funny shit....I like this guy...

uprock to...

alanpage@starpower.net

19541, RE: well...both of y'all be prepared for a dissapointment.
Posted by spirit, Fri Jan-26-01 03:42 PM
okay, no Pete Rock or No I.D. I can't say I'm happy, but at least Pete is (allegedly) working on the Black Thought solo.

My question is this: why doesn't Common get tracks like "Adrenaline" or "Clones" out of you? Is it because he turns them down?

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit

http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/general1/9519.html#1 - funny shit....I like this guy...

uprock to...

alanpage@starpower.net

19542, RE: well...both of y'all be prepared for a dissapointment.
Posted by absence, Fri Jan-26-01 07:32 PM

>My question is this: why doesn't
>Common get tracks like "Adrenaline"
>or "Clones" out of you?
>Is it because he turns
>them down?
>

Cause the Roots are the Roots and Common is Common.
19543, RE: well...both of y'all be prepared for a dissapointment.
Posted by spirit, Sun Jan-28-01 10:18 AM
>Cause the Roots are the Roots
>and Common is Common.

*yawn*

Save that.

I thought the music for "U.N.I.verse at War" and "Love of My Life" (both Roots songs featuring Common) was better than the majority of the tracks on LWFC. So, it's not like Com can't sound like Com over Roots tracks, that's a non-issue.

It's not like I'm asking Common to be more like Thought...what I'm asking for is for tracks of The Roots caliber to be given to Com...some of you may think the LWFC production exceeds Roots production, but I don't. Beat-wise, I think TFA kills LWFC.

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit

http://www.mp3.com/miscellaneousflux - click for instant audio gratification

- b-boy soul music for the world to
uprock to...

19544, RE: well...both of y'all be prepared for a dissapointment.
Posted by application, Sun Jan-28-01 12:15 PM
>some
>of you may think the
>LWFC production exceeds Roots production,
>but I don't. Beat-wise, I
>think TFA kills LWFC.

I know when LFWC came out a lot of Roots comparisons were thrown around but my question was always why? The albums are so different there almost opposittes.

If artists just made albums a certain way because their fans told them to, they wouldn't be very good artists. If Ice Cube listened to his fans he probably never would have made AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted (How many N.W.A. heads wanted to see the group's most talented member leave and go to New York?). If Common wants to make sample free albums just let him be. I think a lot of the "critics" here lose credibility when they call an album they haven't heard yet wack. I hope you would rather have an artist grow and change then just remake his second album over and over again. That would put Common on the same level as Bone Thugs N Harmony.

You can criticize backpackers all you want but when I hear things like "This album that I haven't heard yet is wack cuz it has no samples" you sound even shallower.

-Ryan

"Police don't sweep to get the dust out
They want your name in the system,
I need to mention the death penalty is
legal lynchin
People listen, they got teenagers up in
the line up
To fill the new facility they built,
they need the crime up
Please, the war on drugs is really war
on the youth
War on the people
War on the truth
The violent crimes rise,
the silent dies as sirens cry through
the night
People fight for what's left and not
what's right"

-Talib Kweli
19545, i just follow the direction
Posted by qoolquest, Fri Jan-26-01 10:48 PM
he wants to go in.

19546, BOOM!
Posted by el_rey, Tue Jan-30-01 03:41 AM
There you have it kiddies ... y'all need to sit up an take notice cuz THIS IS THE DIRECTION COM WANTS TO GO!

To me, it sounds dope! I'm all about the experimental shit ... changing shit up. We got TOO much same ol- same ol hip-hop around. Like the man said, go an listen to his old shit if that's what you want to be nostalgic about. I personally could use some more "watery" experimental music around. I'm trying (really hard)to not get tired of hip-hop right now, and am looking to these cats to be on some pioneer shit (my own projected expectations). You think Prince would be where he is today if he stayed to his original formula (ok, bad question, since I know half of y'all are waiting for a return to his glory days ... but I've always been a fan of the more experimental stuff of his as well)? Mofos need to branch out ... take some chances and grow.

Y'all need to be glad that Common's not stuck in a rut ... or some one hit wonder. He's stuck around precisely because of his ability to take some chances. Let the man get way "out there" ... let him pull some sun ra shit ... let him do some freaky Dr. John the Nighttripper meets Yemaya shit ... just LET THE MAN WORK!

love and respect,
El Rey

NOW GO CHECK OUT MY GROUP'S WEB SITE!: http://www.wemba-music.org (we're only getting started)

http://www.mumia2000.org
http://www.mumia.org

"yo he preferido hablar de cosas imposibles ... porque de lo posible, se sabe demasiado" -- Silvio Rodriguez

"I certainly dont live here to be "given" liberty- I live here to continue the struggle that insists that i am already free" -- KoalaLove

http://www.blackgrrrlrevolution.org
cuz yer either down with the revolution or not ...
19547, RE: BOOM!
Posted by Double M, Tue Jan-30-01 07:43 AM
I'm feelin' you, dawg. Common's new album should be way out there on some "far out" shit. I am definitely looking for his next joint in 2002. However, I'm still stuck on "Like Water for Chocolate"! I'll probably be rockin' that joint well into next year. His next album should be very interesting.
19548, speaking of samples..
Posted by jose3030, Mon Jan-29-01 02:31 AM
>-sample free album.

U.S. Supreme Court Won't Hear Bolton Appeal

Los Angeles federal jury found in 1994 that blue-eyed soul singer copied five musical elements from Isley Brothers' 'Love Is a Wonderful Thing.'
Eric Schumacher-Rasmussen reports:

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday refused to hear Michael Bolton's appeal of a $5.4 million decision against him for copying parts of the Isley Brothers' "Love Is a Wonderful Thing" for his 1991 song of the same name (RealAudio excerpt).

A Los Angeles federal jury found in 1994 that Bolton copied five musical elements from the Isleys' 1966 song. The jury ordered Sony Music to pay $4.2 million, Bolton to pay $932,924, co-writer Andrew Goldmark to pay $220,785 and their publishers to pay $75,900, according to Reuters.

The Supreme Court rejected Bolton's appeal without comment or dissent. In the original trial, Bolton said he had never heard the Isley Brothers song.

Alan Dershowitz, Bolton's lawyer, called on the Supreme Court to create a single standard in copyright cases "so that creators are aware of the rules and the federal courts can enforce them," according to the news service.

Spokespersons for Bolton and the Isley Brothers could not be reached for comment.

19549, Cristian Vogel's "Rescate 317"
Posted by Darbw, Wed Jan-31-01 12:13 AM
is a water album.

"I am an alien from the other world, from outer space, I don't have no land, no estate, no property, no house. Not on this earth. I live in space - I'm only a visitor here. Some people are only here to collect property. I am here with my suitcase to collect only the good brains."-Lee Scratch Perry

NO RULES, RULES.
19550, RE: word...
Posted by guest, Fri Jan-26-01 11:12 AM
>I hope there will be harder
>tracks on the next LP
>than on LWFC, it got
>too laid back at some
>points for me...we need straight
>head knockin bangers.

Man IllWill, i don't know what you're talkin' about. "Harder", "Straight head knockin bangers"? In a Common album? Common is known for his smooth delivery and thought provoking lyrics. Why don't you pick up the new Nelly or Jay-Z, you may find them more enjoyable.

I'm out,
Iso AKA ZigZag

**************Quotes fo yo Mind*****************

Women be lovin' my music, it's like some sex shit....nigga's tryna grip on my mic like it's a dick... - Baatin (i think) Slum Village

...Used to breakdance, it's a shame, what money do to a nigga brain...If he lose his soul, what can a nigga gain? - Common

Hate me if you wanna, we gon' speak on it...We gon' tell the world why hip-hop is haunted...Money is a drug and MC's is on it...We gon' take it back to the days of Mantronix - Wil.i.am (Black Eyed Peas)

...Old Skool like Aztecs, but new in other aspects... MC Paul Barman

19551, Head Knockin Bangers from Nelly?
Posted by cocoapeach, Fri Jan-26-01 07:45 PM
Since when?
19552, Early 2002!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by Brandard, Thu Jan-25-01 08:29 PM
Aw man, well as long as they are giving me such yummy treats till then, still though is this gonna mean no summer and FALL tour for the Roots crew?
19553, hum...
Posted by conesbitt1, Fri Jan-26-01 07:11 AM
common should work with Rockwilder too! switch up the formula! i hope it doesn't sound like LWFC Pt 2.... I love when artist are diverse with their music. IT A BEAUTIFUL THING!!

:7FAVORITE VERSE OF THE MONTH:7

nigga, stop being so got damn selfish..put in ya pelvis@ Andre 3000

, but we hold on to each other, knowing that one day God will allow us to be together for good.-LoveJones

:9BULLSHIT RELATIONSHIPS}>

Bullshit-seen it, smelled it, look at it, abused by it, sent money on it.
See, me and bullshit have a love/hate relationship,we fuck around with other from time to time. But, when Bullshit gets on my nerves, I tell it to get the fuck on. But, I love Bullshit so we cool for right now
19554, RE: hum...
Posted by qoolquest, Fri Jan-26-01 09:19 AM
>common should work with Rockwilder too!
>switch up the formula! i
>hope it doesn't sound like
>LWFC Pt 2.... I love
>when artist are diverse with
>their music. IT A BEAUTIFUL
>THING!!

call me paranoid, but if you love "diverse" music. then does that mean that you were dissapointed with com's first 3 albums? because they are all in the same vein to me. (as hip hop records go)

for com to be "diverse" from what he is known for....you think the answer lies in rockwilder?

i think diverse i think "journey through the secret life of plants", or "graceland", or "stankonia" or "voodoo". a change from what was.

i mean sure com has never worked with rock before. but if he were to do that then i believe the same cats who pray i don't touch this record (and "ruin it" i will! bwhahahahahaha!) would then accuse com of trying to go commercial. or sound like red and meth. or bus. or janet.

again. (i'm sure this isn't the last time i write about this either) if you are saying you hope this is not a LWFC pt2. then you either mean that you hope it is "hardcore!" or just a regular hip hop album that is more in the vein of hip hop.

i gurantee you that it is not LWFC PT 2. but i ain't guranteein' that this is what you are hopin for either. com has hopes and dreams and visions too. and you have to respect his decision wherever he decides to do. is it that in hip hop, only one group is allowed to stectch and expand?

these "hopes and wishes" sound errily (sic) similar to that of miles' critics when he released his always classic "on the coner". cats wanted "kind of blue" (part deuxe) (here it is "ressurection/oneday" part two), they complained he's turning his back on traditional jazz (same here), miles didn't give a fuck, and kept on.

guess what com says?

19555, RE: hum...
Posted by stoves, Fri Jan-26-01 09:38 AM
>then you either mean that you
>hope it is "hardcore!" or just
>a regular hip hop album that
>is more in the vein of hip hop.

yes, more albums in the vein of hip hop please.
hip hop is good

19556, AMEN
Posted by Divine Sheba, Fri Jan-26-01 09:51 AM
---Real Sheba Quotes---

MYRIAM NSALU VITA LUYEYE
Feb. 8, 1959-Jan. 14, 2001
"Can't wait to see you again, Mommy..."

AIM: AFROdite529@AOL.COM
19557, why are you soooooo hostile?
Posted by conesbitt1, Fri Jan-26-01 10:03 AM
>>common should work with Rockwilder too!
>>switch up the formula! i
>>hope it doesn't sound like
>>LWFC Pt 2.... I love
>>when artist are diverse with
>>their music. IT A BEAUTIFUL
>>THING!!
>
>call me paranoid, but if you
>love "diverse" music. then does
>that mean that you were
>dissapointed with com's first 3
>albums? because they are all
>in the same vein to
>me. (as hip hop records
>go)

1. naw, never said that, and definitely didn't mean that.:-(
>
>for com to be "diverse" from
>what he is known for....you
>think the answer lies in
>rockwilder?

2. naw, didn't type that, and definitely didn't mean that either.:-( what's wrong with working with a COLLABORATION of different producers?
>
>i think diverse i think "journey
>through the secret life of
>plants", or "graceland", or "stankonia"
>or "voodoo". a change from
>what was.

3. i meant that, you took it and ran to the left with it. don't know why. WHY?:-(
>
>i mean sure com has never
>worked with rock before. but
>if he were to do
>that then i believe the
>same cats who pray i
>don't touch this record (and
>"ruin it" i will! bwhahahahahaha!)
>would then accuse com of
>trying to go commercial. or
>sound like red and meth.
>or bus. or janet.

4. never said you shouldn't work on record. i think you are very talented and good at what you do. so why did run to the left with that one? WHY?:-(

>again. (i'm sure this isn't the
>last time i write about
>this either) if you are
>saying you hope this is
>not a LWFC pt2. then
>you either mean that you
>hope it is "hardcore!" or
>just a regular hip hop
>album that is more in
>the vein of hip hop.

5. naw didn't mean that either.:-( are the records you mentioned before as "diverse" hard core? i ask again....WHY?:-(
>
>
>i gurantee you that it is
>not LWFC PT 2. but
>i ain't guranteein' that this
>is what you are hopin
>for either. com has hopes
>and dreams and visions too.
>and you have to respect
>his decision wherever he decides
>to do. is it that
>in hip hop, only one
>group is allowed to stectch
>and expand?
>

6. thank you for the gurantee.

>these "hopes and wishes" sound errily
>(sic) similar to that of
>miles' critics when he released
>his always classic "on the
>coner". cats wanted "kind of
>blue" (part deuxe) (here it
>is "ressurection/oneday" part two), they
>complained he's turning his back
>on traditional jazz (same here),
>miles didn't give a fuck,
>and kept on.

good for miles. i'm not "hatin"

>
>guess what com says?
>
>

what did he say? come on....tell me?;-)

>
>
>
>
>
>
>2001 is scarlet player year. here
>is my ish list.........
>
>emmc (and all of his surnames)-
>those dickhead ass "steve" posts.
>
>kaleel- insecure ass motherfucker, scurred of
>losing his wife to black
>thought.

, but we hold on to each other, knowing that one day God will allow us to be together for good.-LoveJones

See, me and bullshit have a love/hate relationship,we fuck around with other from time to time. But, when Bullshit gets on my nerves, I tell it to get the fuck on. But, I love Bullshit so we cool for right now
19558, this is for you ?uest.
Posted by conesbitt1, Fri Jan-26-01 11:30 AM

19559, RE: hum...
Posted by application, Sun Jan-28-01 12:21 PM

>miles didn't give a fuck,
>and kept on.
>
>guess what com says?

Good to hear

-Ryan

legal lynchin
the line up
they need the crime up
on the youth
War on the people
War on the truth
The violent crimes rise,
the night
what's right"

-Talib Kweli
19560, RE: hum...
Posted by guest, Sun Jan-28-01 11:39 PM

>call me paranoid, but if you
>love "diverse" music. then does
>that mean that you were
>dissapointed with com's first 3
>albums? because they are all
>in the same vein to
>me. (as hip hop records
>go)

that has to be the dumbest thing i have ever read on this message board. i mean really. wtf. that was so stupid it made my brain flood with noises.

>for com to be "diverse" from
>what he is known for....you
>think the answer lies in
>rockwilder?

LWFC sounded like one long song, kinda like Raekwon's last lp.

opus.... the okayheckler

the masterminds
http://www.themasterminds.net
we got joints!

the amphibians
http://www.theamphibians.com
check spirit for reasons to visit the site.

19561, RE: hum...
Posted by guest, Wed Jan-31-01 06:07 PM
the first three common albums were nothing alike. now the first three roots lp are a different issue. (i love you ?uest! don't delete me.)

opus.... the okayheckler

the masterminds
http://www.themasterminds.net
we got joints!

the amphibians
http://www.theamphibians.com
check spirit for reasons to visit the site.

19562, back to back lps that sound the same (c) common himself LOL
Posted by TotalRequestloveLive, Thu Jan-25-01 06:38 PM
"back to back lps that sound the same..." (c) common himself LOL
19563, Zach and Poyser?
Posted by spirit, Thu Jan-25-01 07:55 PM
um, maybe I'm not familiar enough with all of Poyser and Quest's work, but have they freaked shit in the rock arena before? rage was an ill band and i would kind of like to see zach stick with that sound...i guess he didn't though, since he left. *shrug*

i am really anxious to see what el-p and zach cook up, particularly after hearing co flow's "simple" (ill ass guitar break in that song...you know, the one where the hook is "the pain game" screamed ad infinitum).

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit

uprock to...

alanpage@starpower.net

19564, dont sleep
Posted by sundasill, Thu Jan-25-01 09:17 PM
zack is ill behind dope beats his delivery is ill.....
your going to be dissapointed zacks goin total left field

Pootie Tang 3000
sadatay!-fire

"Take!It is handed to me..."-Tiger/pimp
"...so he can get the knowledge and be ready for the mothership when it comes."-fire

"...i've seen harder rappers on butterfingers!"-Breeze Evaflowin
19565, et tu'll?
Posted by qoolquest, Fri Jan-26-01 09:24 AM
who said anything about rock?
who said anything about hip hop?

am i really that confined to one space around here?

is tom handle hayes the only person who's heard my work in

-jazz
-rock
-soul
-afrobeat
-fusion
-disco
-drum and bass?

i do more than just drum four bars in a band y'all. not expecting y'all to buy ever import, and cameo....but daaaag.

"give the man behind the (sticks) some credit"
-mc shan

19566, Import
Posted by BigWorm, Fri Jan-26-01 09:51 AM
Import??

What import?

1Love,
B to the P

"Cooler than Freddie Jackson sippin' a milkshake in a snowstorm!" (damn that's cool)

In the Deck:

J88- Best Kept Secret
Joni Mitchell- Heijra
Xzibit- Restless
David Bowie- Ziggy Stardust...
Aimee Mann- I'm With Stupid
The Alkoholiks- 21 and Over
Rahsaan Patterson- Rahsaan Patterson
Pastor Troy and the Congregation- Book 1
Johnny Guitar Watson- Ain't That A Bitch
Led Zepplin- Houses of the Holy
Deftones- White Pony
Prince- Prince
Guru- Jazzmattazz Vol. 1
19567, RE: et tu'll?
Posted by spirit, Fri Jan-26-01 03:50 PM
Okay.

Here's an idea.

Could Okayplayer and MCA do some kind of joint promotion of your import catalog, so we can catch some of these rarities in the Okaystore? Because honestly, no, I don't have any of your rock imports and I had no idea that you did any rock work. If you get a chance, a discography would be a great addition to the site and would help fans track down all your work (not that you have much spare time, but if/when you do).

What about Mr. Poyser?

I'll buy it regardless off the strength of how much I dig Zach's work with Rage, but I am curious about how all this will come together...I'm sure you're tired of people doubting you, but be honest with me here...if you heard that Will.I.Am (from Black Eyed Peas) was producing on the next Marilyn Manson album, you wouldn't be the least bit curious how that would pan out? Just a cross-genre example to illustrate my point...

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit

uprock to...

alanpage@starpower.net

19568, great idea!
Posted by el_rey, Tue Jan-30-01 03:49 AM
Angieee?

love and respect,
El Rey

NOW GO CHECK OUT MY GROUP'S WEB SITE!: http://www.wemba-music.org (we're only getting started)

http://www.mumia2000.org
http://www.mumia.org

"yo he preferido hablar de cosas imposibles ... porque de lo posible, se sabe demasiado" -- Silvio Rodriguez

"I certainly dont live here to be "given" liberty- I live here to continue the struggle that insists that i am already free" -- KoalaLove

http://www.blackgrrrlrevolution.org
cuz yer either down with the revolution or not ...
19569, Realistically...
Posted by Apostle, Tue Jan-30-01 01:13 PM
I think some of y'all are missing the point. I don't think ?uest is saying you need to know everything I've done, ride my nuts, and study me. But he is just making his point valid that there are various types of music he has done, and is not trapped into making "joints for the underground heads". Some of the stuff he is talking about is few years old, hard to find, put out while the ROOTS were signed to Geffen, and damn expensive. I'm not saying the OK store couldn't handle it, but realistically it would be quite a task.

Last but not least, I find it odd how we are now asking our favorite artists to make what we want to hear. Doesn't that just seem to cheapen the thrill of hearing thier new shit. I mean I know we all imagine our favs on some shit we know would be ill. But I mean what made them our favorites was the fact that they came with some new creative and innovative shit. I would hope we want the people who's music we care about would keep innovating and going deeper into thier soul creativly. It sounds like we're second guessing the creativity and artistic expression of those that brought us our favorite shit because we don't know what exactly is coming next.

peace, Apostle Jahbryll

5 Deadly Venom Spitters - No One is Safe
Just shut the fuck up and take it!

--------------------Quotes--------------------

Back to the original:

"I promise that I will not answer the phone when it rings love, while we do our thing love" Q-Tip

19570, RE:das y....?
Posted by sundasill, Sat Jan-27-01 05:09 AM
you need to drop a album yourself...
..to wake these boo-boo heads up

Pootie-Tang~3000/sadatay!-fire
_________KILLAH Fire Qoutes____________
"...so he can get the knowledge and be ready for the mothership when it comes."-fire

"...You too busy being a flashlight cop
without the flashlight...Keyrings don't make a security guard...go fillout some apps...we won't be needing your services any longer!"-Fire
Complete&total fire groupie
19571, Common's new album
Posted by Ill Emcee, Sat Jan-27-01 07:20 AM
Damn, yall arguing over the beats that Common uses. Let the man do what he wants, cuz LWFC was a banger anyways. But, Quest, please tell me that Premier is gonna do another track with Common, cuz Sixth Sense was single of the year for 2000. That shit will never get old, the production and the verses for that shit are so ill. Also, early 2002 is stretching the shit again. I think the roots album should come out before Common, since Common released an album in 2000 and TFA came out in 1998.
19572, i'm hella curious to hear what this sounds like
Posted by Aja, Fri Jan-26-01 09:58 AM

has anybody heard this stuff-and if so can someone just tell me what it sounds like????

seriously...
19573, ummm.......
Posted by gemini, Fri Jan-26-01 10:34 AM
i don't usually post here, but-er-um.........

i just gotta say that i have ALL of Common's albums (i'm kickin' thirty right in the ass! i was THERE when them shits came out!) and ummm........well.........LWFC is my FAVORITE okay? it makes "One Day" look like a work in progress mayne!

there, i said it........and that shit ROCKS! there's just so much flavor and character in his voice, in the music..........i'm always dancin' head noddin' bee boppin to it, so why ya'll act like he/they made an album full of chamber music?

maybe it's cuz i'm older (27).......but i smell a generation gap at work.......

okay, i'm leaving now...........bye.
19574, Yeah...
Posted by incogx, Fri Jan-26-01 04:00 PM
LWFC is my fave too.. even though i love all of them... even the first one where his voice squeaked... ah the days of puberty... but yeah LWFC blew me away.. it's one of the best put together albums i've ever heard and as long as you have an open mind musically you cant help but see that its bangin'. A lot of "Dope" shit is stagnant these days.. so why is Comm getting crucified for dropping an album that was so sorely needed?

Just my 2 cents

peace,
Cog

If anywon wan reach de badmon --> e me
at (smoovecog@aol.com)

New Black Thoght Jawn (Off the Bangers!)

http://www.tha-real.com/audio_ram/workroots.ram

Quotes------

“these cats drink champagne to toast death and pain/ like slaves on a ship talkin 'bout who got the flyest chain” ...Talib kweli

“C Delores run... run run run Delores/ C
Delores look pitiful... pitiful pitiful pitiful Delores/ C Delores testify... Tupac did it Tupac did it Tupac did it/ C Republicans give her the Clarence Thomas Award... take it take it take it/ C Delores see Tupac's death... wash your hands wash your hands wash your hands/ C Delores smile... never again never again never again/ C Delores Tucker... f*ck her f*ck her f*ck her ...Nikki Giovanni

“for u to grow he had to go so what u stoppin' him for/ not even i can ignore being alone... it's hard/ find heaven in yourself and God” ...Common

“God works in mysterious ways so when he start/ the job of speakin thru us we be so sincere with this here/ no drugs or alcohol so i can get the signal clear/ as day.. put my glock away/ i got a stronger weapon that never runs out of ammunition so i'm ready for war.. okay” ...Andre (Kast)

“you said he reached sir/ but he didn't have no piece sir/ and now he rest in peace sir/ in the belly of the beast sir” ...Wyclef Jean

“no not nigga, thUNDERbiTCh, (yes i can say that, b/c thats wtf i am, and wtf ull be callin me after petty ppl read this response~)”
...the honerable Rudie
Virgo making a polite correction & layin the smack down

“african princess, tell me your intrests/ wait let me guess, boo u probably like poetry/ well here’s a lil’ something that i jotted down in case i spotted you around/ so let me take this opportunity/ would u share a moment with me over herbal tea?” ...M1

“I don’t playa hate/ i just stay awake”
...Stic man

“Humble as a mumble in the jungle of shouts and screams, thats the way the cracker crumbles so i've got to reroute my dreams” ...Outkast

“don't everybody like the smell of gasoline? well burn mothafucka burn american dreams!” ...Andre 3000
19575, that ain't it.
Posted by spirit, Sun Jan-28-01 10:25 AM
>maybe it's cuz i'm older (27).......but
>i smell a generation gap
>at work.......

That ain't it. I'll be 26 in March. "Resurrection" is still my favorite. Song-wise, LWFC is probably the best put-together (concepts, execution), but for raw energy and wordplay, "Resurrection" is uneffwittable.

Besides, most of the pro-Resurrection people were heavy in the scene when Resurrection dropped (94), so "it ain't no young boys up in here" (c) De La Soul.

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit

uprock to...

19576, I am excited..
Posted by Steve, Fri Jan-26-01 11:32 AM
If there is anyone capable of pushing the envelope completely and making some extremely different shit and making it work its Common. The crazier the better for me, but then again I liked LWFC better than One Day. At the same time though, I think LWFC coulda been pushed alot further, I hope the new jawn does that.
I'll be waiting, hopefully I wont have a fucking bachelors degree by the time it comes out.

Peace,
Steve
OkayArtist Board Moderator
Please Read Guidelines:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html
IM:Gigfog

19577, RE: What MCA expects from Common
Posted by label_guy, Fri Jan-26-01 03:14 PM
MCA is expecting a strong, cohesive album from Common, 2 or 3 singles which can compete in todays marketplace, and ultimately to gain a profit from its release. Basically everything okp's want (maybe except the last item).....sounds like I've said this before.

LG
Doing my job since 1991
19578, RE: What MCA expects from Common
Posted by Brandard, Fri Jan-26-01 07:43 PM
And you will probably say it again...and again and again.

What MCA expects from Blackaliscious...

What MCA expects from Jaguar....

What MCA expects from the Roots...
19579, RE: LG's Plaqueathoreum Theory
Posted by label_guy, Sat Jan-27-01 08:40 PM
LG's Plaqueathoreum Theory
hip-hop act + no hit single = no plaque
hip-hop act + 1 hit single (w/o follow-up) = solid gold plaque
hip-hop act + 2 hit singles (consecutive) = pure platinum plaque
Of course there may be rare exceptions to this theory.
This theory may be valid across all main music genres on any label but I'm still researching.....
LG
Doing my job since 1991
19580, RE: LG's Plaqueathoreum Postulate
Posted by label_guy, Sat Jan-27-01 09:00 PM
How could I forget:
hip-hop act + Dr. Dre (with or w/o hit single) = pure platinum

LG
Doing my job since 1991
19581, Unless you're Ras Kass
Posted by spirit, Sun Jan-28-01 10:27 AM
>How could I forget:
>hip-hop act + Dr. Dre (with
>or w/o hit single) =
>pure platinum

but then again, Dre just rhymed and didn't do beats...

did the Aftermath comp go plat? That joint was trash.

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit

uprock to...

19582, RE: Rule #1
Posted by label_guy, Mon Jan-29-01 08:50 AM
My Plaqueathoreum Theory applies to the CURRENT state of Hip-Hop business......
Rule #1 - the game always changes...gotta stay current.
For example: Dr. Dre '97-'98 < Dr. Dre '00-'01

LG
Doing my job since 1991
19583, Where's No I.D??
Posted by guest, Fri Jan-26-01 04:36 PM
I have heard too many people diss Com for his beats on LWFC, he should let I.D produce a track or two, three, four...

~Dulce~

(0-0) *four eyes*

----------------- A sig for the New Year --------------------

My 1st ryhme!!!
Okaypeeps, please listen up!

I'm rollin through this joint, to say whassup
Salutations to my people who can't get enough
Of me
Listen my rap and I'm sure to deliver
I come colder than ice, makin' other rappers shiver
Dulce is loose and on the prowl,
Cats hear my rap, confessin'
I'm guarenteed to stick around a while.
Brotha, when I am through with you,
you'll keep comin back,
bringin your best friends too
I'm sarcastic and full of funk,
Knockin other bitches off and puttin they
bodies in my trunk
I'll make you scream and holla for more,
I be the woman you adore
Yo, so tell your chick ...she got to go!
Makin you scream and holla for mo!
Chickens can't match my smooth flo
I'll hit you off and you'll be beggin me to stop
Sexin your man, waitin for my cherry to pop
I don't need to follow you
Or your crew
I'm a leader makin' others come under my rule
So bend ya knees, bow ya head to the queen
Makin sure you never even get close
to Dulce, the Supreme

BOYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! *hugging myself*

~Brought to you by Bambozzled Entertainment Television (BET)

19584, Roots 2002???
Posted by guest, Fri Jan-26-01 07:14 PM

is this gonna be another Voodoo (how many times/years was that delayed? not that i'm complaining, it was worth the wait--hey, it took james joyce like twenty years to write ulysses)? i just don't want to see another star wars movie come out before the next roots album ;)

i know ?est and the rest of the crew are prolific, so can i (we, rather) get an idea of how many songs are already completed for the album, or is everything a work-in-progress right now? hope to hear something sunday night when quest is on innercity...
19585, RE: Where's No I.D??
Posted by guest, Sat Jan-27-01 08:10 AM
dont get me wrong, LWFC was a dope album, and it was a change of sound for com(some good some bad). but to me, resurrection is still his best(my fav. hip-hop album of all time). maybe it's because im still wishing to re-live the days of 90-94 with the hard beats over the nice samples. plus, as artists are, com's style was more hungry back then....like he says for himself "this industry will make u lose intensity". i know com he's grown up since resurrection and he cant fuck with those immature topics of "gettin' wit bitches" and boozin; but it seems nowadays com has no anger with emcees anymore and he dont even wanna write battle shit like he used to(e.g. hungry, food for funk). his rhymes have elevated and matured and he most def hasnt fallen off lyrically, he just changed his concepts a bit, as life makes u do, so maybe i have to accept that change is constant and it's not good to go backwards in life, but.................
com did promise he was gonna get back with no i.d. and hopefully ynot and keep it chicago!! i just wanna know when he's bringing the trophys back home, like he said he was?? cuz, right now, it still looks like a brooklyn thing for com....but i didnt hear any hard beats with some ill dusty vinyl samples, like NO ID CAN PROVIDE......
1994-BEST YEAR IN HIP-HOP:
common came out with the classic
organized konfusion
roots
smif n wessun
jeru
del
digable planets
meth
gang starr
ALL THE RAW SHIT!!!!

19586, talking to walls
Posted by qoolquest, Sat Jan-27-01 10:36 AM
-read all my responses.

understand.

accept.

or let's start a fund for spirit to save hip hop from sampling hell.

19587, RE: talking to walls
Posted by guest, Sat Jan-27-01 10:51 AM
quest, why dont u explain to me, cuz i didnt read your other posts
19588, RE: talking to walls
Posted by guest, Sat Jan-27-01 11:02 AM
ok, i read ur cocky, know-it-all responses
then hi-tek should step in and do his thing!

19589, wake the hell up and smell the mpc dust
Posted by Vivrant, Sat Jan-27-01 09:33 PM
if songs like "for women" and "the blast" sound sample heavy to yall then i want a copy of what the hell you're listening to.

THE JAWN BEAT OF THE MONTH
http://www.thejawn.com/music/botm0101.ram
Produced by Brainchild, you suckers.

cherry removal*/shawntae @ 2:30/searching (the rubber)/scissors/mighty interlude*/effaho*/my rhyme is better/.../ecstasy/the boom bip/ecstasy (cont'd)/clear the way/just call me/the words theme (in w sharp)
* = rapstation due to sample problems
19590, quit beating a dead horse...he's not waking up
Posted by guest, Sat Jan-27-01 10:48 PM
1st off, I really dont understand how "Wake Up, Everybody" was cleared for "the 6th Sense"

2nd, you cats need to start reading post and quit asking the same damn questions. If the next Common LP will be sample-free then so be it. If Pete Rock/Dj Premier/No ID wont make any tracks for the record, then so be it (although that does hurt a little).

I think ?uest, James Poyser, and JayDee have enough tricks up thier sleeves and production credits to thier merit to pull this one off without destroying Commons career.

see Voodoo.

I will concede that "Resurrection" was hip-hop's best work to date because its one of 3 recordings thats musically and lyrically tight from start to end.....but I already have 2 copies of it (CD/Cassette/cant find vinyl), and I really dont want another copy.

As long as its a tight record, Ill buy it.

Otherwise Ill be joining the A?C (Anti-?uest Coalition).
Well, until the Roots/D'Angelo release another one.

19591, BACKSUPPORT... THE MOVEMENT.
Posted by guest, Sun Jan-28-01 02:08 PM
I'D LIKE TO POINT OUT THAT WHAT ?UEST & THE ROOTS HAVE DONE HAS BEEN SUBSTANCIALLY CLASSICAL.

"DO YOU WANT MORE" WAS A BREAKTHROUGH FOR ME/HIP HOP (SORRY, I DIDN'T GET A HOLD OF ORGANIX TILL LATER.) ALOT OF HESITANT SUPPORT WITHIN SALES/ NEW AND CONSIDERED ALTERNATIVE/???
NO.. NO...
CONSIDERED CLASSICAL FOR THE LIVE INSTRUMENTATION/CONSIDERED CLASSICAL TO THE FACT THAT THESE GENTLEMEN RIGHT HERE ARE THE
FOUNDATION FOR THE MOVEMENT... IF COMMON'S NEXT PIECE TAKES EVEN 2-4 YEARS TO FIND THE RIGHT POTENCY... SO BE IT...
VOODOO WAS SO ON POINT... LWFC WAS AN OVERALL GREAT ALBUM..
I FEEL JAY'S POSITION IN THIS IS ON TIME...
FORGET MY HYPE...KEEP MAKIN THAT TYPE OF MUSIC THAT MAKES MY HEART MELT EVERYTIME I'M PUSHIN PLAY...

KEEP IT ON BABY!!! MUCH LOVE TO THE UMMAH & THE SOULQUARIANS..

I SUPPORT YOU & RESP. YOU.....

19592, Do you think it could be done?
Posted by Brandard, Sat Jan-27-01 10:34 PM
I know part of the "Name that sample" game was to be a statement about the current state of sampling, but is there a solution for today's sampling woes.

Like what would it take? Would every record label have to flex its muscles? Would every artist need to make it their top priority?

Is it just a question of promotion? I mean if we got MTV news, all the music mags, internet sites talking about sampling wouldnt it bring up the public awareness about the issue? make it less shady.

Or is this just going to be one of the those things that isnt going to change?

Oh well those were a whole lot of questions, most prob. w/o answers or if they do have answers tehy are too depressing.

Either way I'll support OKP Tour 2001: Free the Sample or spirit's law fund which ever would help more.
19593, The pro-sampling campaign
Posted by spirit, Sun Jan-28-01 10:41 AM
>I know part of the "Name
>that sample" game was to
>be a statement about the
>current state of sampling, but
>is there a solution for
>today's sampling woes.

The main solution is to lobby Congress to amend the Copyright ACt of 1976, so it will include certain forms of sampling under the fair use provision (Section 107). I don't think straight looping (of, say, four bars) will EVER be considered eligible for fair use, but certain forms of sampling that only utilize minute portions of a composition, in my mind, should be eligible for a fair use "exemption"...but we have to convince Congress of that.

Like I said, those who are serious about this issue, hit me on the e-mail (alanpage@starpower.net). Particularly those who are in, or plan to enroll in, law school.

>Like what would it take? Would
>every record label have to
>flex its muscles?

A lot of labels own the catalogs to much of the music which is sampled...in that sense, it might not necessarily be in their interest to have the copyright law modified

> Would every
>artist need to make it
>their top priority?

It would help tremendously, particularly if artists of many different genres who sample join hip-hop heads in the struggle (Beck, for example, samples). Artists were able to lobby for a repeal of the provision to the Copyright Act which eliminated the right to reversion (I would define that, but it would take forever).

>Is it just a question of
>promotion? I mean if we
>got MTV news, all the
>music mags, internet sites talking
>about sampling wouldnt it bring
>up the public awareness about
>the issue? make it less
>shady.

Any press bringing light to this issue would be good. If folks want to, write in to some of these music news sites and ask them to do stories on this matter (example: "I am concerned about the fact that hip-hop artists are hindered from freely creating their art because the Copyright Act does not recognize sampling as fair use. Would you consider doing a story interviewing hip-hop producers on how the law hinders them in the pursuit of their art?"). Keep a file of any stories which appear. Writing any of your local media outlets is an idea as well, although I think local publications which focus on music are more likely to respond.

>Or is this just going to
>be one of the those
>things that isnt going to
>change?

ANYTHING can be changed if enough people organize to change it. Believe me.

Again, serious parties concerned about this issue, holla on the e-mail.

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit

uprock to...

19594, Sampling Problem
Posted by application, Sun Jan-28-01 12:44 PM
I think part of the problem is that the issue is never brought up in a political context. When most non-hip-hop heads (i.e. most of the country) think of sampling they think of Puff Daddy rather than DJ Shadow. A lot of people think "sampling" means simply rapping over the instrumental to an old song. They don't understand that it can be art in and of itself.

-Ryan

legal lynchin
the line up
they need the crime up
on the youth
War on the people
War on the truth
The violent crimes rise,
the night
what's right"

-Talib Kweli
19595, RE: LWFC samples
Posted by loopdigga, Mon Jan-29-01 04:51 AM
Alot of yall cats kill me with this "common need to rock over dirty sample joints" uhh first single primo(dirty sample, stratch
chorus)the 2nd joint "light" (dirty sample, stratch chorus) I
guess if you cant hear a ayers/byrd/jamad loop cats think it's
all live and that common aint dirty no mo. heat(allen sample)
doonit(james sample), alot of LWFC was sample based but since the loops,stabs, etc were flipped cats slept
19596, RE: talking to walls
Posted by guest, Tue Jan-30-01 06:56 AM
Let it be broke, by a practicing copyright attorney no less:

It's not the law that needs to change, its the economic dynamic. If we, the hip-hop, soul, rnb, jazz, drum and bass, rock, and blues musicians owned the copyright and owned the publishing and owned the masters, we could license whatever we wanted to whoever we wanted for whatever we decided to charge-$5 a sample, whatever. So imagine if Primo owned all rights to "Olympic Runner" (oh sh*t no he didn't)(yes, I did) and you wanted that tight little snare that sounds like a real snare and not some hybrid rimshot (oh sh*t no he didn't)(okay, I'm just f**ing w/ ya, I love your snare sound mighty cool one, it is truly original and dope and is your trademark sound that our grandkids will be able to pick out (like we picked out coltrane vs. adderly or coltrane vs. rollins, don't front)). So when you do a solo joint for BBE or whomever, demand on owning the masters and the publishing, and just license that sh*t to them. Alas, I digress:

The American copyright system is premised upon the idea that CREATORS (artists) and INVENTORS (scientists) should be incentivised to create and rewarded for their word- and that if you reward artists for their creations they will continue to create and society will thereby be benefitted by these creations and it will progress and move forward, and so the incentive the law gives them is a limited monopoly on their creations- a copyright or a patent, depending on what you make. With the copyright comes a number of attached rights- the right to control the distribution and copying of the creation. copyright also gives you full control over the right to make a "derivative work"- a second work that is derived from the original work.

Therefore, to allow any sampling, regardless of how minimal, you are taking away the right to create derivative works that are held exclusively by the copyright holder, because you are letting a stranger take a piece of my creation, and making something out of my creation, without my permission. If we were allowed to do that, then joe-bag-of-donuts could come along and say "ha, I'm going to do the sequel to Do the Right Thing", without Spike's permission, make some wack sh*t, and usurp Spike's business plans; or some idiot could take a couple of characters, say Radio Raheem and Mookie, and make a bullsh*t TV docudrama about Brooklyn, riding on the creativity of Spike, who created these characters and gave them their personalities. See what I'm saying?

P.S.- free sample of the month- "Impeach the President' is in the public domain, which means you can sample it with reckless abandon. I used to have the case citation, but spirit, check on westlaw using "Tuff City" and the name of the song. Let the games begin.

P.P.S.- when you're really good at chopping beats up, you don't have to pay for jack. See DJ Spinna, Psycho Les (beatnuts), some of RZA's and Primo's work, and of course the man from detroit who told you that he'd shoot you if you were looking in his basement window while he was making beats. Now let's go hit some girlie bars.
19597, RE: Where's No I.D??
Posted by guest, Sat Jan-27-01 09:55 PM
everyone's talking about bringing in outside production and collab's in order to make an album that more in the vein of hip-hop...... the problem is that people should stop looking at it as just a hip hop album and start thinking of it as a work of art, ragardless of the number of "head-bangers" or hit-singles....
19598, Not Hungry?
Posted by Ursus, Sun Jan-28-01 07:43 PM
"but it seems nowadays com has no anger with emcees anymore and he dont even wanna write battle shit like he used to(e.g. hungry, food for funk)."

I've heard quite a few people say that Com has lost his hunger, or that he can't come "hard" whatever that means?

Now I agree that songs like "Hungry" and "Food For The Funk" are pure examples of Com's "harder" edge, I also thing that "Dooinit", "6th Sense" follow in their footsteps. I think people need to respect those songs, even if they come with an album that may not have such a "hard" sound to it.

19599, ................
Posted by BlackLex, Sun Jan-28-01 10:12 AM
Was Common's album agruably not the best of 2000?

If ya'll want an album fulla bangers go get M.O.P. and a neck brace !

B l a c k L e x
"In order for you to understand what you need to understand you need to first understand that it cant be understood"
19600, Quest, Quest, Quest...
Posted by guest, Mon Jan-29-01 05:43 AM
My question aagin dates back to this whole sampling hoopla. Com's on MCA, Thought is on MCA, so Thought's album has NOT ONE SAMPLE? I feel you about sneaking samples in and that it's a risk because Com has been sued before but damn...I guess to me samples are a HUGE part of hip hop production. Last time we politiced I said something to the extent that the Soulquarians don't sample and you replied "we do, we just hide it good." So, since you hide it good, why not keep at it? It seems to me and I'm sure if I'm wrong, you'll correct me that at least 60% (if not more) of Com's album LWFC was samples. You said before Jay sampled a slew of stuff for that, and yes Com got sued for that one song, but since he went gold, isn't Com getting a bigger budget to record his next album? Is it that he doesn't want to take the risks with being sued again, or is it Com just really wants to be a soul singer like you said before? It just seems that you flip the script whenever it's necessary. It's like when someone's commenting about the Roots or the Souls not being "hard" enough you say how such and such was done on the MPC or SP and how 90% of whatever was samples, than you'll turn around and flip it and say 90% of the same album was live musicians and you drummed the majority of the album...it's like a new story depending on the post. So, to me I'm hearing that a sampled album can be done in 2001 (I know Pete's had samples and that's on loud...did Pete get sued? What about Gangstarr? What about Reflection? -before you said Tek played the majority of that stuff but everyday I either come across a sample he used or somewhere on these boards someone comes across a sample tek used-Pharoah? Mos? Blackstarr? Big L? Ghostface? Wu? MOP?) It just seems like you're saying "you can do it, but WE'RE not taking the chances!" Which is bugged, I guess because Com's biggest hit to date is a STRAIGHT LOOP with Booby Coldwell singing the chorus! Than next is the Ghetto Heave remix which I think you said is no samples and the majority of the people hate that shit! Maybe that's why people seem SO concerned. Sixth Sense didn't have samples? Nag Champa? Heat? Payback? That jawn with MC Lyte? Funky for You? I just don't get it...
19601, RE: Quest, Quest, Quest...
Posted by movement, Mon Jan-29-01 03:14 PM
"one day i was trying to be myself/ when some n**** asked me why dont you come hard/ (somethin something..)lifes hard/ its hard to get a job/ its hard to stop drinking/ its hard for a lot of these hard n**** to start thinking" --common (this might not be a esact qoute, i dont have the cd on hand)

but im saying, let dukes live...lket him be comm, hes not guru (so he aint have to have a primo cut) he dosent have to have no i.d. (though it would be nice, bring the people who started with you) if he doesnt work with pete, he doesnt!

let the man be him! i mean damn, people who want to say hip-hop is only this or that, make it sound like it has to be a formala! art has no rules, and common is an artist!

let him be him! if you dont like it, you dont like it, it doesmt mean that you hatin, you just dont like it! and im sure common (like most artist) give a eff, if you like it or not.

all i care about is if it has soul! if its soulful, then it well be powerful!

peace,
movement

p.s. sorry for the bad spelling

-----------------------------------------------------------------

hip-optics ep coming soon!

hip-optics = poetry painting visuals.

spoken worked album, laced by front man MOVEMENT(ME, HEHE). AND BEATS BY DIALEK, AND MOVEMENT AND SOME OTHER UP AND COMING NORTHWEST PRODUCES!

we well be coming to a town near you soon.

new york in june 2001!
19602, RE: Quest, Quest, Quest...
Posted by guest, Tue Jan-30-01 03:33 AM
I have a brilliant idea. It might sound brash, but it would help a lot. Here it goes: why don't ALL of the people that want ALL albums to sound alike just put out their on joints and let those who want to do their thing do it. That way maybe we will have some true diversity in this music thang and it'll always challenge itself to grow.

You guys can make YOU brand of music while others make what they feel is appropriate. Maybe that way it'll all be fresh.

I can say that as a recording artist it is refreshing and promising to see someone go forward with such conviction as these cats are doing. To go against the conventional in a time where we have to make gold or platinum to even be in this game is admirable. To try to sell fine cuisine to consumers who grew up on fast-food (and don't want to even try tamago or sushi rolls or Mediterranean food) is showing that your heart is in your music. If folks get it, cool. If not, you just wanna feel like you did YOUR part and inhale and exhale again...that means keep living.

(Put signature here that is either funny only to me or shamelessly promoting something that I do and not another person likes besides me (even my momma and my band don't like it 'eiver'-fo real-they hate it-seriously-they told me so)- That Bitter Dude From South Beach

http://www.thesquareegg.com

http://www.mp3.com/thesquareegg

19603, haven't we discussed this over and over to death!
Posted by UrbanCowgRRL, Tue Jan-30-01 04:03 AM
sampling troubles..bring back no ID...shit wasn't hard enough...

can we just let com do what he wants....if you don't like it..don't buy it...ain't gotta hate cause it's not the way YOU'D make it...if that's the case...i suggest you go out and throw down ure own album..with samples and bangers and listen to it over and over in your bedroom....

Much love,
Kyle

Surgeon General... - DPS...drunk posters society...y'all ain't ready!?!? We soldiers.

Drunkin' Starli Quotes:
"Hey man..i can lock a hoggie too!"

"i always tell people that fame is
nothing but a good publicist, while
talent is a genuine article..." ~ Pozi
19604, RE: haven't we discussed this over and over to death!
Posted by Double M, Tue Jan-30-01 07:55 AM
You're right. No ID "got his man" all over the "One Day It'll All Make Sense" album. I was wondering the exact same thing. Where the hell was No ID on "Like Water for Chocolate"?!?!?! He should have produced at least one, two, maybe three songs on that joint to give it the hard edge you was talking about. However, all in all, I think LWFC was more complete than "One Day It'll All Make Sense". Don't get me wrong, both albums are classics, but LWFC has a little something extra. Will No ID be on the next album?!?! Is he in exile?!?!? Somebody help me out on that issue.
19605, reading is fundamental
Posted by UrbanCowgRRL, Thu Feb-01-01 09:36 PM
go read replies..i was saying that not having No ID on LWFC discussions is OLD AS HELL!

i've never asked no ID to be on the album...for a few reasons
1.) i'm not common
2.) change is good
3.) i'm not common
4.) i listen to common's music..it's not mine
5.) i'm not common

Much love,
Kyle

Surgeon General... - DPS...drunk posters society...y'all ain't ready!?!? We soldiers.

Drunkin' Starli Quotes:
"Hey man..i can lock a hoggie too!"

"i always tell people that fame is
nothing but a good publicist, while
talent is a genuine article..." ~ Pozi
19606, I hope
Posted by TastyDog, Tue Jan-30-01 07:00 AM
Common writes a battle rhyme dissing all of us fickle Common fans, knowing we are going to buy the album anyway and call it shitty, but never once think "This is light years better production wise and lyrically than anything I am being subjected to on the radio."

Please Common rip us to shreds and put us in our place.

Geez.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"MOOSEHEAD: A great beer and a new experience for a moose"

19607, Ya'll Cats...
Posted by guest, Tue Jan-30-01 09:51 AM
Ya'll cats kill me. Com can make whatever kind of album he wants and he may lose some fans that's all. And I'm sure he'll gain some. But it seems like they're are enough people on just this site alone (and their are other hip hop websites beyond okayplayer land) that are BEGGING for No ID and harder beats! (and if Quest is saying that No Id is on some R&B ish now, than get Pete or HiTek-please 1999 is tighter than ANY song on LWFC) So I'm sure we may be the minority here but we might just be the majority out there! I already know what you cats are gonna say..."but Com's album went Gold and it sold more records than any of his other jawns"! And my reply is so what? One minute cats say record sales don't matter, than just turn around and say Com's gold! The moral, there are ALL kind of artist in this biz. Me, if I see a bulk of my fans are wanting harder tracks, I'll give 'em a few. It's not like we're asking Com to get with the Hot Boys, we just want "Hungry" "1, 2 Many" and "Making A Name for Ourselves" type tracks, and if Com denies us that so be it, he'll just lose some fans. And don't give me that "niggaz are afraid of change" crap either. I'm not afraid of change, I listen to ALL music, but in my opinion harder beats compliment Com's flow better than the joints he's been spilling over now. So chill witht he "damn let the nigga live posts"! Com can and I'm sure he'll do (and wear-is this what Erykah does to niggaz? First Dre now Com) whatever he wants!
19608, RE: Ya'll Cats...
Posted by TastyDog, Tue Jan-30-01 10:27 AM
I like the hardcore stuff he has done in the past too. However I like the latest stuff he has done just as much. It is different. When I want to hear the harder stuff...I pull them out and play them. All I am saying is how many times can you do the same thing over and over before you get bored with it. You want to do it a different way. You want to have fun with it. He is doing that.

I agree with you though, there is too much wishy washy talk about our "favorite artists". We talk about how much we love their work. Then we say that last album was whack. But everybody saying it is whack owns a copy of it. If it is that bad don't buy the next one. I've had to do it before. As much as I loved RUN-DMC, and LL and countless others, I'll be damned if I ever buy another album from them. If you don't agree, hell don't agree to the fullest. Boycott their shit.

I mean come on we are callin' Common's shit whack and certified doomed before we even hear it...right to everyone who's involved faces. What a damn insult. ?uest, Com, D, all of them ought to be pissed with the folks they gotta call their fans because we get on here and diss them to their faces with all seriousness. If Com said FUCK IT. I ain't making no more records. We'd all be right here arguing whether or not we miss Com or if he didn't care about us. SUPPORT THE MUHFUCKAS WE LOVE or else I'ma be stuck listening to the typical radio bullshit.

We act like we've done something to even deserve the shit he is giving us. His shit is always heartfelt and personal and then we tell him it ain't shit! He got into this game cuz he loved Hip-Hop and music...not cuz he wanted to make us happy. If he does it that is an added plus. But first his music makes him happy.

All I am saying is let's show a little respect to these folks. There is only so many times that you can hurt the ones close to you before they leave you alone.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"MOOSEHEAD: A great beer and a new experience for a moose"

19609, RE: Ya'll Cats...
Posted by guest, Wed Feb-07-01 09:08 AM
damn yall really killin' me...being from the "go" i going to say off top...it's alot of dickridahs in here...half you cats wasn't feeling com when he was rolling with no id( if that was the case he would have least went gold right niggaz) personaly the change can for that reason...niggaz not really feeling no id productions... so he switch up and now half you cats screaming for no id tracks. if yall ridahs would have should love in the beginning...this discussion wouldn't be taking place. so please spare me the bullshit and ay yo...resurection was the tightest shit he done to dt...lwfc close 2nd

wild 100's up in here

i'll shoot the back of ya timberlands turn em into flip flops do a drive by on a horse, so run when you here the clip clops
craig g:qb finest lp
19610, RE: Ya'll Cats...
Posted by guest, Wed Feb-07-01 09:10 AM
yeah that's gold like before lwfc niggaz like can i borrow...resurection...one day...

get yo mind right!
19611, Since when has Common...
Posted by BSharp, Tue Jan-30-01 11:42 AM
done only what his fans either hoped or expected of him?

I'll be damned if anyone who appreciated the first album could have ever anticipated the power of "I Used to Love H.E.R." and Resurrection. I personally didn't expect the change that came on LWFC, but I welcomed it; and what I got was another stellar album from my favorite emcee of all time. I was disappointed when I heard that NO ID wasn't going to be on it, but who am I to argue now that I love the album, and love it more than One Day... Easily.

The only thing that his fans should expect of him is the unexpected. He keeps raising the standard of excellence in hip hop and he hasn't done it by refusing to take risks just because some fans wanted him to do a Missy: Back to back LPs that sound the same.

"too many cats front trying to be new instead of classic..." Defari

19612, What's wrong with LWFC anyway?????
Posted by P, Tue Jan-30-01 12:19 PM
I really don't get why ya'll are hating on LWFC. I admit that it doesn't have the hard hitting beats but when you put that joint on, you can just chill and relax. I really don't see where the problem is even if Com puts out LWFC Pt2.

19613, RE: What's wrong with LWFC anyway?????
Posted by guest, Wed Jan-31-01 02:19 PM
alright, after all this talk of "where's no id? wheres rock? wheres whoever on com's new album?" all i gotta say is each time i hear a new common album i love it, i enjoy that hes expanding and can still go back and enjoy the old shit. . .even if we may want to hear more of what we've heard in the past, i think com does a great job of building on his past work and creating a strong album each time. . .

impatiently anticipating the new album. . .
19614, soulsoothing
Posted by cocoaprince, Tue Feb-06-01 01:57 PM
man, lwfc is about as soulful as a rapper can get....i dont want common to get all jiggy (tongue-in-cheek) now, but he should give a nod to his no id dude and just bust a classic cut...he can do it like that....i wish lwfc had a longer reign though.
19615, RE: What's wrong with LWFC anyway?????
Posted by roamr1, Tue Feb-06-01 02:30 PM
people just like to complain don't they. on one hand there are people that say primo's shit is getting old because he does the same shit over and over. on the other, y'all are complainin cause common decided to try some new ish on LWFC. why don't we learn to appreciate the present. primo's old ish is dope, so is his new. LWFC is dope and so was his last 3 albums. it's the fact that an artist is able to switch things up yet keep things familiar that gets us to buy their albums. outkast...every album has a different concept, and every album they bring the same southern fried funk to the table. common does the same thing by keeping his positive, sometimes political messages and bringing them to "light" (pun intended) with funkier beats.
19616, Aight...
Posted by Brew, Sun Feb-18-01 07:59 PM
I waited to comment on this post so I could make a complete overview, so I got a few comments I want to make on this subject. Im playing somewhat of a Devil's Advocate because I really agree with both sides of this argument. First, I'd like to say this. If y'all can afford samples on all other albums, what makes Com's so different ?? Secondly, bringing in Pete Rock Primo and No ID would do no more than elevate the album to another level. Hearing the Soulquarians and Jay Dee for an ENTIRE album with no outside production and no samples to me sounds pretty damn dry, but like I said I agree with both sides and I think everyone should just shut up and wait for the album, cause who knows. But on that subject I just want to say that just because No ID is doing some RnB shit now means nothing. That doesn't mean that he can't make a hiphop beat anymore, it just means he's changed his preference, not that he's incapable of making hiphop. And even if he is making RnB or soul shit, Com is into that anyway, isn't he being produced by the SOULquarians ? Im sure No ID could've done the Geto Heaven Rmx just as well as the Soulquarians did.

But anyway, on to the other side. Com has managed to amaze me with every album he's dropped. Whether it's No ID, Dug Inf, Ynot, Pete Rock, Primo, or the Soulquarians and Jay Dee, I have the confidence in my favorite MC that he will make the hottest shit out there when he's released. I'm not gonna pass any judgement on how the album will sound. I will pass judgement on how it's being done as I hear about it, and the title (Holy hell), but until I hear every song on the album, I'm not going to "guess" whether it's going to be classic or if it's going to be terrible. That's why I think we should all be patient and just wait for the final product. And who knows ?? Everyone may just be fucking with us, Com may be in the studio with all his Chi peeps right now, or even if not, maybe Com will change his mind on the sampling idea if he figures out how difficult it will be. Let's just chill and cop all the dope albums til Common Sense drops his next, then we can make our comments and judgements on it. Peace.