Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectAnd in addition
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=19151&mesg_id=19171
19171, And in addition
Posted by Petey Wheatstraw, Fri Mar-02-01 04:07 AM
The release of this monumental piece of music called Voodoo, made it possible for people like Erykah, Jilly, Musiq, etc. to release their respective albums. It got the public ready to recieve the full brunt of the neo-soul revoulution that was too come. And as we know in revolutions the people on the front lines sacrifice themselves, so the second wave can wipe out opposition.

Brown Sugar got D' more accolades because it was very R&B. People didn't have to do any work. He just gave you some live ass R&B songs to chill with. Brown Sugar had surefire "singles" on it. Songs that would individually define the album even if you never heard it. Like you'd be like "Oh shit, that's lady of D's new joint." But with Voodoo you can't really do that. Because it's a complete work. Every song is tied in with the other. It's kinda like Prince Paul's joint. You can't listen to the 35 tracks in just any order. The only way it really makes sense is if you can appreciate it as a complete work. And even though Brown Sugar couldn't hold Voodoo's jock, it will always be seen as a better album by the masses, point blank.

Voodoo isn't a piece of music that you just listen too and like. Voodoo to me is an understanding. You have to understand the fades on "One Mo Gin", and the hook on "The Root", etc. And for those of you who may ask...yes it is that deep. Because if you don't understand this work, then you won't really feel it. You don't like Mama's Gun or Jill's Album because you can play it in the club. You appreciate it because you can feel the artist put a piece of theirself into the song that you're listening to. Everybody may not feel it like that. And it's cool. But to say it's not that good is just being silly. It's just you haven't elevated to the point that you can truly understand.

P.S. Sendin' Ohio Love to an Ohio Player

******THE 2% NATION LIVES ON!!!*********
Homogenizing the world since 2000
*allow the M.I.L.K. to lead you
When all has been said and done, there's nothing left to say or do. --Daryl Dawkins

Every negro is a potential black man. --Stokley Carmicheal

When I see green...I be thinkin... --Ghostface Killah

Do you think that's air you're breathing? --Morpheous

It wasn't me. --Shaggy