Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectD'ANGELO SHUT OUT AT SOUL TRAIN AWARDS!!!!!!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=19151
19151, D'ANGELO SHUT OUT AT SOUL TRAIN AWARDS!!!!!!
Posted by queenbea, Thu Mar-01-01 05:15 AM
Can you believe that he did not win a single award?!!!!! Imagine Best Video going to Mystikal's "shake ya ass" - that's exactly what happened. So much for representing uplifting black music.
19152, too bad. was he there?
Posted by JustLisa, Thu Mar-01-01 05:18 AM

19153, i'm sure he's upset
Posted by fire, Thu Mar-01-01 05:19 AM
(snicker)

If trouble was money
I swear I'd be a millionaire
If trouble was money
I said I'd buy the whole world
I'd buy the whole world
And have money to spare
Worries worries worries baby
I've got worries on my mind
Worries worries worries baby
I've got worries on my mind

You know times is so hard
I swear I aint gonna tell you no lie
If trouble was money
If trouble was money

HALLELUJAH! FIRE'S POSTS'LL DO YA!!!
19154, RE: i'm sure he's upset
Posted by queenbea, Thu Mar-01-01 05:28 AM
D'angelo makes music for primarily black people.There nothing worse than making music and your own people not getting it. It such a shame that black people are so adverse to change esp. when it comes to music. They like it quick and ready i.e music with no depth.
19155, RE: i'm sure he's upset
Posted by fire, Thu Mar-01-01 05:46 AM
>D'angelo makes music for primarily black
>people.

d'angelo makes music for people, it just so happens that it's black music

There nothing worse than making
>music and your own
>people not getting it.

soul train ain't all black anyway, why are u surprised?

It
>such a shame that black
>people are so adverse to
>change esp. when it comes
>to music. They like it
>quick and ready i.e music
>with no depth.

like i said, i'm sure d is just torn up about this. `
19156, STOP TRYING TO BE WITTY-IT'S NOT WORKING!
Posted by queenbea, Thu Mar-01-01 06:00 AM
There's no need to get sarcastic you're prone to doing that .If you don't want to hold a discussion about this then don't bother posting. I definetely regard soul train as a black awards show and if they can't honour him then there's a problem that needs addressing whether or not D'is concerned about this or not.

19157, RE: STOP TRYING TO BE WITTY-IT'S NOT WORKING!
Posted by fire, Thu Mar-01-01 06:06 AM

trying? am i insulting u or something?

>There's no need to get sarcastic
>you're prone to doing that

don't even try to stereotype me, i'm not even being sarcastic, i'm replying to what u said. what am i supposed to grab a box of kleenex and light a candle with you cuz your messiah d'angelo didn't get a soul train award?

>.If you don't want to
>hold a discussion about this
>then don't bother posting.

i thought i was holding a discussion. but u say it's sarcasm. well whatever the fuck, sarcasm is dialogue too.

I
>definetely regard soul train as
>a black awards show and
>if they can't honour him
>then there's a problem that
>needs addressing whether or not
>D'is concerned about this or
>not.

it's not a problem, IT'S AN AWARD'S SHOW! a problem would be d'angelo getting no airplay, not being able to record. he just won two grammy's for chrissakes. do u know the prestige one of those grammophones hold? do you? in and outside of the black community a grammy is as good as god giving you accolades. i'm not saying a st award isn't significant, i'm saying that soul train for the last decade and a half has been "un-black". if u don't see that then i can't show u
19158, THE PROBLEM IS NOT D'ANGELO NOT WINNING
Posted by queenbea, Thu Mar-01-01 06:18 AM
The problem is when similar or like minded artists do not get recognised by our own people. What message do you think this sends out to our youth? If you're not bling-blinging in videos or
singing about cars and booty you're not honorable.
19159, RE: THE PROBLEM IS NOT D'ANGELO NOT WINNING
Posted by fire, Thu Mar-01-01 06:28 AM
>The problem is when similar or
>like minded artists do not
>get recognised by our own
>people.

similar & like minded to whom?

What message do you
>think this sends out to
>our youth?

musicians aren't leaders

If you're not
>bling-blinging in videos or
>singing about cars and booty you're
>not honorable.

are u using the st awards as the standard by which to measure honor and acclaim?

where do you live?
19160, RE: THE PROBLEM IS NOT D'ANGELO NOT WINNING
Posted by queenbea, Thu Mar-01-01 06:40 AM
>>The problem is when similar or
>>like minded artists do not
>>get recognised by our own
>>people.
>
>similar & like minded to whom?

Your Erykahs, Bilals, Jills, Macys, Maxwells, etc.

>What message do you
>>think this sends out to
>>our youth?
>
>musicians aren't leaders

Don't be silly!!! Do read properly b4 replying. I meant soul train sending out the message

>If you're not
>>bling-blinging in videos or
>>singing about cars and booty you're
>>not honorable.
>
>
>are u using the st awards
>as the standard by which
>to measure honor and acclaim?

No matter what you think artists appreciate being honoured in - be it the grammys or the st awards and I'm sorry these(neo-soul) artists are no exception. Plus do you know D' personally? How do you know he's not smarting over this.

>where do you live?

What does this have to do with anything?

19161, RE: THE PROBLEM IS NOT D'ANGELO NOT WINNING
Posted by fire, Thu Mar-01-01 06:45 AM

>Your Erykahs, Bilals, Jills, Macys, Maxwells,
>etc.
>

why can't mystikal win anything? is there some anti-mystikal law on the books?

>Don't be silly!!! Do read properly
>b4 replying. I meant soul
>train sending out the message
>

since fucking when, within the last decade has a soul train show sent out any message that was anti-titties, ass, clothes & jewelry? please cite the show and date and i swear on my unborn children i'll send u 1,000 dollars.

>
>>

>
>No matter what you think artists
>appreciate being honoured in -
>be it the grammys or
>the st awards and I'm
>sorry these(neo-soul) artists are no
>exception.

huh? please, one more time for the people in the balcony

Plus do you know
>D' personally? How do you
>know he's not smarting over
>this.
>

maybe

>
>>where do you live?
>
>What does this have to do
>with anything?

alot
19162, it's all about money
Posted by JustLisa, Thu Mar-01-01 06:31 AM
u think the industry is tryna raise our kids?

That's it, i'm done. BITCH MODE officially BACK in full effect. Got 'tude? Brang it!
19163, RE: D'ANGELO SHUT OUT AT SOUL TRAIN AWARDS!!!!!!
Posted by Scrapluv, Thu Mar-01-01 05:31 AM
Gonna be a riot out this mutha.........

http://members.blackplanet.com/babyfacedbandit/
19164, nope
Posted by JustLisa, Thu Mar-01-01 05:32 AM
heads are used to it.
19165, Shut up..
Posted by loaded5, Thu Mar-01-01 05:37 AM
damn U brainwashees kill me...He lost..I am sure he aint losin sleep..

"Perving, swervin rannin all into the fuckin curb and/If I get one more D.U.I. then it's curtains"~E Feezy

"Uhh, rappers sport my style like they sport clothes/then have the nerve to say they made it up, now that's some hoes"~E feezy

"I was that little muthafucka showin out in the back of the church/my momma was quick to hit me wit a switch and i'd say 'that hurts'"~E Feezy
19166, RE: Shut up..
Posted by guest, Thu Mar-01-01 05:56 AM
Voodoo wasn't a very good album anyway. It was okay, but it definitely wasn't great. It was way too bass heavy, and you could barely understand what he was saying. The brightest spots on the album was "Untitled How Does It Feel" and "Africa", but they were so much of a Prince bite that he should give Prince production credit. D'Angelo is still a good artist, but Voodoo was kind of disappointing. People shouldn't give the album high praise just because he uses real instruments. Although, real instruments sound better, the music still has to be good. Voodoo was not great at all. Erykah's album ia an example of a great album. She will rack up awards for Mama's Gun. Not that awards matter so much, because the people themselves have shown her during her performances that they absolutely LOVE Mama's Gun.
19167, Gasp...
Posted by loaded5, Thu Mar-01-01 05:58 AM
>Voodoo wasn't a very good album
>anyway. It was okay, but
>it definitely wasn't great

I have been screaming this since it dropped...

"Perving, swervin rannin all into the fuckin curb and/If I get one more D.U.I. then it's curtains"~E Feezy

"Uhh, rappers sport my style like they sport clothes/then have the nerve to say they made it up, now that's some hoes"~E feezy

"I was that little muthafucka showin out in the back of the church/my momma was quick to hit me wit a switch and i'd say 'that hurts'"~E Feezy
19168, RE: Gasp...
Posted by queenbea, Thu Mar-01-01 06:09 AM
He was not nominated in the best album category anyway so the fact that u don't think it was not a good album is such a cop out.His perfrmance of "Untitled" was great whether you think it was a Prince rip-off or not.Also VIBE, B.E.T and A healthy amount of the population couldn't have been wrong when they voted it video of the year.
19169, BULLSHIT!!
Posted by guest, Thu Mar-01-01 06:25 AM
>>Voodoo wasn't a very good album
>>anyway. It was okay, but
>>it definitely wasn't great
>
>I have been screaming this since
>it dropped...

Okay bullshit does stink...i never really smelled it untill reading these two post saying that VOODOO was not a good album. first of all if u feel that way we must ask...by what standards do YOU judge a good album by? because an albums merit in my view, is judged by production (whether live instrumentation or not counts for something too), overall lyrical content, overall creativity (is it groundbreaking? or just the same 'ol shit?), and to what degree i can use my imagination/instincts/personal experience to relate to each song on the album. those are just SOME of the criteria i use when rating an album. but most importantly i said MY criteria, because i can only judge an album from my OWN personal veiw. thus to say that an album is "not great" u must ask urself...not great to whom? cuz platinum is a status that not many acheive, and many that do...dont deserve it. but futhermore, if YOU ppl cant find VOODOO to be a good innovative album, and YOU find it lacking...then we must ask another question, is it the album that is lacking or is it YOU that is lacking the neccessary knowledge and faculties to contemplate what the album is about? think about it...and shut up lol.

~1~

19170, Wasn't that good..
Posted by loaded5, Thu Mar-01-01 10:38 PM
Sorry...i just didn't feel it...I am entitled to say so..

19171, And in addition
Posted by Petey Wheatstraw, Fri Mar-02-01 04:07 AM
The release of this monumental piece of music called Voodoo, made it possible for people like Erykah, Jilly, Musiq, etc. to release their respective albums. It got the public ready to recieve the full brunt of the neo-soul revoulution that was too come. And as we know in revolutions the people on the front lines sacrifice themselves, so the second wave can wipe out opposition.

Brown Sugar got D' more accolades because it was very R&B. People didn't have to do any work. He just gave you some live ass R&B songs to chill with. Brown Sugar had surefire "singles" on it. Songs that would individually define the album even if you never heard it. Like you'd be like "Oh shit, that's lady of D's new joint." But with Voodoo you can't really do that. Because it's a complete work. Every song is tied in with the other. It's kinda like Prince Paul's joint. You can't listen to the 35 tracks in just any order. The only way it really makes sense is if you can appreciate it as a complete work. And even though Brown Sugar couldn't hold Voodoo's jock, it will always be seen as a better album by the masses, point blank.

Voodoo isn't a piece of music that you just listen too and like. Voodoo to me is an understanding. You have to understand the fades on "One Mo Gin", and the hook on "The Root", etc. And for those of you who may ask...yes it is that deep. Because if you don't understand this work, then you won't really feel it. You don't like Mama's Gun or Jill's Album because you can play it in the club. You appreciate it because you can feel the artist put a piece of theirself into the song that you're listening to. Everybody may not feel it like that. And it's cool. But to say it's not that good is just being silly. It's just you haven't elevated to the point that you can truly understand.

P.S. Sendin' Ohio Love to an Ohio Player

******THE 2% NATION LIVES ON!!!*********
Homogenizing the world since 2000
*allow the M.I.L.K. to lead you
When all has been said and done, there's nothing left to say or do. --Daryl Dawkins

Every negro is a potential black man. --Stokley Carmicheal

When I see green...I be thinkin... --Ghostface Killah

Do you think that's air you're breathing? --Morpheous

It wasn't me. --Shaggy

19172, RE: And in addition
Posted by babieboy, Fri Mar-02-01 09:28 AM
"Voodoo isn't a piece of music that you just listen too and like. Voodoo to me is an understanding."

This is an amazing way to explain how tight Voodoo truely is. It is more than "just music".
TIGHT!

Peace
19173, exactly...
Posted by tynie626, Sun Mar-04-01 10:15 AM
preach on... damn, somebody finally summed it up. thank goodness!

don't ask questions, just go:
http://www.dsangels.homestead.com/welcome.html

-----Quotes-----

"But I'll wait til i've mastered this, let the others go first so the brothers won't miss"- D'Angelo

"I got a bullet in the chamber, and I'm not afraid of danger/ we've got to go down to the wire/ I'll go through the fire with u..kill and die with u" -D'Angelo

19174, RE: Shut up..
Posted by fire, Thu Mar-01-01 06:08 AM
both of u lick a shutup lollipop!

too bass heavy, u sound crazy! take that shit to npgonline
19175, lol!
Posted by thebigfunk, Thu Mar-01-01 07:35 AM
LOL!!!
> take that shit to
>npgonline

-thebigfunk

19176, u need a miracle ear.
Posted by JustLisa, Thu Mar-01-01 06:16 AM

That's it, i'm done. BITCH MODE officially BACK in full effect. Got 'tude? Brang it!
19177, RE: u need a miracle ear.
Posted by fire, Thu Mar-01-01 06:41 AM
:7
19178, u been sniffing glue?
Posted by grannie, Thu Mar-01-01 06:46 AM
Voodoo is the shit..it's better than Brown Sugar and Brown Sugar earned him an arm load of awards...ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, whatever.

oh well... onward to James River we go.

how'd ya git ta be soo sweet?
how'd ya git ta be soo sweet?
i'll ask you quite nicely
why don't ya tell me very kindly..
how'd ya git ta be soo sweeeeeeet?
(mad tv: aired 1/20/01)

"you wear a disguise to look like human guys. but you're not a man, you're a chicken-boo."(animaniacs)
19179, D' in Prince's Ass
Posted by ya Setshego, Fri Mar-02-01 06:35 AM
Uuuh, I agree with your assessment of Voodoo in that aspect, BUT, it still is a great album. It really showed how D'Angelo elevated himself musically compared to Brown Sugar. Hey, if moving to the next level for D'Angelo is UP to the level where he can comfortably bite Prince's ass, so be it! Not many people can make it THAT far.....

"Don't Hate the PLAYA Boy...hate the GAME," Granddad Freeman of the Boondocks(7-11-99)

*Twenty-three percent of women are "autoerotic singles" — they prefer to achieve sexual satisfaction alone(source-bet.com)

19180, RE: Voodoo is not for lazy lisnters.
Posted by MADAME X, Thu Mar-01-01 07:03 AM
I would give my right arm to hear the Root live.

Voodoo as a live show was for the fans. I would not have attended as many shows as I did for the music if the record had not triggered something in me.

Voodoo is not for lazy listners.

I think it's time to move on about the awards because they don't validate anyone. Yes, Voodoo has it's limitations, but there are so many other aspects of the record that he should be praised for as well as the other musicians who contributed to the recording. I think Charlie Hunter said it best when he stated that it was ashame Voodoo had to be produced in the current climate of the recording industry. It's like casting pearls before swine.

Voodoo is not black music, it just d's expression.

It is unfortunate that Untitled/video overshadows the whole album.

19181, Two finger snap...
Posted by Petey Wheatstraw, Fri Mar-02-01 04:12 AM
******THE 2% NATION LIVES ON!!!*********
Homogenizing the world since 2000
*allow the M.I.L.K. to lead you
When all has been said and done, there's nothing left to say or do. --Daryl Dawkins

Every negro is a potential black man. --Stokley Carmicheal

When I see green...I be thinkin... --Ghostface Killah

Do you think that's air you're breathing? --Morpheous

It wasn't me. --Shaggy

19182, RE: Voodoo is not for lazy lisnters.
Posted by guest, Sun Mar-04-01 12:00 PM
I agree. Even though I opted to miss my very important study group to see the grammys, I only learned that my music taste has surpassed grammy standards. Even though there's a tendency for black folks to feel that the Soul Train Awards honors OUR best artists, I've had to let it go also. Some artists may let awards validate them, but others are concerned with making good music.
Why is everyone surprised that he didn't win? Voodoo lovers know that it's some next level ish and I don't expect (nor want) everybody to feel it the way I do.

"How you figure that your team can effect my cream?"-Biggie
19183, RE: D'ANGELO SHUT OUT AT SOUL TRAIN AWARDS!!!!!!
Posted by guest, Thu Mar-01-01 07:09 AM
I can't believe he didn't at least win the video award..sheesh, WHEN is this video gonna get some props??
19184, Well...
Posted by luvlee2003, Thu Mar-01-01 07:46 AM
It seems like a little bit of a reversal of fortune since Jill did win best female album (beating out Toni Braxton) and Eminem was shut out of his two categories.

Maybe this will please some of the folks who were crying foul this time last week.

"Don't you know that last night/ turned to daylight/ and a minute, became a day/ last night/ all my troubles/ well they seemed so, so far away/ searching my reflection/ for a glimpse of, another me/ I've got to get away from/ all these high times/ cause these high times/ are killing me" -Jay Kay (Jamiroquai), "High Times"

19185, RE: Well...
Posted by babieboy, Fri Mar-02-01 09:31 AM
True True.
19186, That was not fair!!!
Posted by Brownsugar, Thu Mar-01-01 08:24 AM
WE ALL KNOW THAT!!!

*************MUSICAL QUOTES**************

"Mama don't 'llow no music playin' in here. Mama don't 'llow no music playin' in here. I don't care what Mama don't 'llow...I mo' play my music anyhow."--nostalgia

"If you hear any noise, it's just me and the boys"...:-):-):-)--George Clinton

"We be clubbin', everybody like when the girls shake somethin".--Ice Cube

"Bad, the girl is Bad!!! Real Bad
We scream, we shout, we turned that
Mother out!!!"--George Clinton

19187, Man, eff all dat.............
Posted by d-nice78, Fri Mar-02-01 04:48 AM
can somebody just tell me if Carl won an award?

That Girl
d-nice78
19188, RE: Man, eff all dat.............
Posted by guest, Fri Mar-02-01 05:23 AM
Carl got shut out even though he had three nominantions. That joint was definitely one of the top R&B albums of the year though.
19189, Now.............
Posted by d-nice78, Fri Mar-02-01 06:18 AM
that definitely sucks! Emotional was THE album of the year, to me that is.

That Girl
d-nice78
19190, Best Video - not best song
Posted by nahymsa, Fri Mar-02-01 12:25 PM
So visuals, cinematography, etc. come into play.

They didn't say untitled was not as good a song as Shake that Ass - they said Shake That Ass had a better video.
19191, RE: Best Video - not best song
Posted by guest, Fri Mar-02-01 09:42 PM
how about origninality and imagination????????
as in not the same ol shit we see in any other video
19192, we see gratitous flesh shots all the times :-)
Posted by nahymsa, Sun Mar-04-01 06:43 PM
I'm not saying which video was better...I'm saying best video encompasses a lot of things.
19193, other nominees
Posted by guest, Sat Mar-03-01 06:49 AM
what videos were up against "shake it fast?"
-AO